Blackbear defense

Blackbear defense

This is a discussion on Blackbear defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I'm terribly new to this whole thing. Patience, please! :) I've heard that the 10mm is a strange round, because it's a bit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Blackbear defense

Blackbear defense

Hi everyone, I'm terribly new to this whole thing. Patience, please! :)

I've heard that the 10mm is a strange round, because it's a bit too uncomfortable to fire, a bit too heavy to carry, and too much penetration for self-defense.

I was wondering how it would function as a defense against bears? I am under the impression that hiking in bear country requires a .357 magnum, at least. The problem is that it's only six shots in the time-frame that matters. Would a 10mm be a better choice? Each round is less likely to drop the animal, but being able to shoot over twice as many rounds mean that you have more opportunities to get a partially disabling shot (which seem to add up, over time) and suffer less consequence if shot placement is not ideal.

If you feel that a .357 is not up to your needs, I would move up to a .44 Mag rather than a 10mm. In a bear "attack", I doubt the likelihood of getting off more than six shots.

ETA: Bear spray is also a good measure.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Best defense is to be able to run faster than the guy with you. After that I'd suggest 44 Mag. Don't worry about the recoil. Faced with a bear you won't even notice it.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Hiking in bear country calls for making a lot of noise while walking (stones in a can, etc.)
    Although a .45, .357, or a 10mm may be O.K. for a small black bear, try shooting something that comes at you by surprise going faster than a Quarter horse...good luck!
    By the way, shooting a 10mm Glock, seemed no different than a .45 Glock.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I had to worry about bears I would want bear spray backed up by a gun. Bear spray is hard to miss with and more effective than most think.

Black bears rarely attack, but when they do they intend on eating you. So you fight a black bear attack.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

A .357 mag will kill most black bears. I'd go with a .44 mag instead though. Actually, that is what I carry for my sidearm. The extra punch isn't a bad thing.

Why not just get a .500 S&W? I think that would be big enough. Who cares about recoil when a bear is after you?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Black bears run away.

30-06 or 12 gauge slugs would be ideal. I imagine black bear attacks are rare, but it is a 300 lbs wild animal. Handguns are meant for humans.

I would go with something more powerful if I was in grizzly country.

I've posted this link before here, but whenever I read something about bear defense, I think of this article and story. It's located at www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_​Treadwell.html and talks about how it took three rangers, two with shotguns and one with a 40 S&W to bring down a modestly sized alaska brown bear. Admittedly black bears are different, though as has been mentioned,I too have read that if you are attacked by a black bear ( not defending cubs) it's intent is to eat you. There are some interesting articles online about this type of behavior by black bears. I'm planning a bp trip to Yellowstone next year with my kids so this question is of particular interest to me. I've heard, though I need to further research, as has been mentioned bear spray is a powerful deterrent to bears and may be initially more effective than a firearm. I think right now my take on things, would be the bear spray AND the 12 ga. I have a Glock 20 so I have profound respect for the 10mm round but I still think the bear spray and 12 ga would be the way to go...reading the story about Treadwell and the rangers that had to go in to recover the bodies is a reality check.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You know how the saying goes, you use your handgun as a means to fight and to get yourself back to your rifle. Ultimately I think a high caliber rifle or like some have said a shot gun with slugs is a better way but that wasn't your question. From what little I know about it, I don't know why a 10mm couldn't be used for black bear. From what I've read on here, a part of the problem you find with 10 mm is that the hi-power ammo isn't as readily available as it used to be unless of course you are loading your own - so that might be a consideration for you if you are limited to buying off the shelf ammo.

As also been mentioned, the attack is probably going to be quick and over in a matter of a few seconds so you might not have the time to get off more than six shots.

I do know that 10mms are used for hunting and I've posted a video on here before about one being used to drop a wild boar but that isnt quite the same as a 300 lb. bear. My guess is if you used a 10mm and shot the BB in strategic areas, i.e. eyes, nose, mouth, etc. it is going to be effective.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    OK, couple of things here: I'd also check out the thread about the bear attack in Yellowstone under the "Concealed Carry" thread--lots of good info and discussion......

Black bears run away
    No sir, they do not always run away! Young Army couple that I performed their marriage ceremony, the bride was later killed and eaten by a black bear.......

I still think the bear spray and 12 ga would be the way to go
    Bear spray--yes. Forget the shotgun with slugs (big slugs yes, but not much powder behind them)--go with Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 or
    .450 Marlin OR Sako makes (used to make??) a carbine length bolt gun in .375 H&H.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have had several close encounters with black bears but have not felt that I was near danger of attack. Given the right circumstances they can be dangerous, and reasonable caution is advisable when hiking or camping in bear country. I carry a 357 Magnum when I'm out there. I don't own anything in 44 Magnum or that would be my bear country gun.

The 10mm is in between the 357 and 41 mag in power. It is in the lower 41 mag range. It is easy to get full power ammo, the rumor that you cannot is just inet misinformation that refuses to go away, regurgatated by the ignorrant. Winchester still makes a full power load in their Silvertip ammo, 175 weight bullet at 1275 from a g20. Also Double Tap makes a 200 weight hard cast bullet that is gas checked and is designed for woods protection.

A suitable gun/caliber is not the problem with the normal black bear. They are not that hard to kill.

The problem is seeing it before it sees and smells you and has you before you can bring any firearm into play. Many hunters armed with high powered rifles have ended up as bear scat.
    DefConGun and Philly Boy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I typed up a whole thing on the differences, but deleted it.... just google and read up on their behavior and attacks.... black bear's behavior and what you need to do, is about the opposite of what you do if it's a brown bear.

.357 (esp with buffalo bore) will work on a black bear. When choosing ammo, think penetration. A .44 mag and a 30-30 rifle is even better.

Brown bear, I wouldn't want to have to shoot at one with less than 300 yrds and a higher powered rifle. Be sure you can outrun anyone you are with. A .357 would probably just make them madder ... unless you shoot him in the head point black right before his teeth sink into you.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links