A perfect example-- a Tragedy in Twin Falls Idaho

This is a discussion on A perfect example-- a Tragedy in Twin Falls Idaho within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before I get into this I want to make it clear I feel nothing but sorry for the family of this innocent man. This true ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Timezoneguy
  • 1 Post By adric22
  • 3 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By texas_son

Thread: A perfect example-- a Tragedy in Twin Falls Idaho

A perfect example-- a Tragedy in Twin Falls Idaho

Before I get into this I want to make it clear I feel nothing but sorry for the family of this innocent man. This true story is to make a point. I also do not have all the facts and perhaps if the victim were armed the outcome may have been the same. Twin Falls Idaho, Idaho State police are in pursuit of a subject who would not stop during a traffic stop. The subject is pursued into downtown Twin Falls and collides with a suburban and motorhome at a major intersection. The subject then flees the scene on foot and enters an upscale hotel lobby. The police have not released any details about what happened other than a an uninvolved person was shot and killed and a female was taken hostage and an ISP officer was shot in the leg. After a three hour standoff the subject surrendered and no shots were fired by law enforcement. A father of seven (7) is dead. This poor man was doing nothing wrong and was not where he should not have been. Just a guy like you and me living his life. I suppose that sheep will still say there was nothing that could be done other than to ban all guns ( the subject had multilpe felony convictions and did not posess the gun legally.) I carry every where I legally can. A weapon will not guarrante my safety bit it increases the odds that I would survive this type of random act.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Unfortunately the sheep will get a hold of this and tell the world how much we need gun control.

Truly sad, I'm looking forward to hearing/reading more verified facts on this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

My problem with this thread is that it's unclear as to what it's "a perfect example" of ...
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by JohnInFla View Post
    My problem with this thread is that it's unclear as to what it's "a perfect example" of ...
    I assumed it was a perfect example of why we should all be armed at all times. But yeah, the details of the story are a bit thin right now.

An interesting factoid I can add. I live in a big metropolitan area with several large cities, Ft.Worth, Dallas, Arlington, Plano, etc. Some of the cities around here have policies that their police will not chase after somebody in a car. Apparently there have been so many civil lawsuits from traffic accidents caused by this that they decided it was no longer worth it.. which seems crazy because it is like telling the criminal if he wants to get away then just run, because we won't chase them. Fortunately, Ft.Worth has not adopted that policy, but several other districts have.
    Last edited by adric22; July 18th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Here's one of several articles about this situation: Witnesses Describe Run-In with Gunman
    There's not much about the victim who died.

That's enough to make you sick.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Sad. Even in the article I did not see any info on the individual that was killed.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I carry pretty much 24/7 since my crystal ball went on the blink
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We live in a dangerous world. Nothing and I mean nothing makes us 100% safe. Situational awarness is huge. A reasonable level of prepardness is important. But a willingness to react with out hesitation ( when appropriate) tops everything else. My opinion is that if you do not have the mind set to make life/death decesions NOW you have no business with a gun. OK I feel better.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

You never know when trouble is lurking around the next corner. Tragedy indeed.

Was a little confused with this being in the home defense and not one of the carry sections, but yes the point of no place being too safe not to carry is driven home when crime happens in places people don't expect it.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    location is a mantra....it is also where everything happens:

at this location...or at another

fact is bad people are mobile--they can take public transport to a mall and its their free unparking lot. and walking bags of goodies provide them with interesting booty

get caught...no problem ; the sheep have voted them the best legal consul and they will make bail--just as they have dozens of times before.

what am i saying-- alert--SA is a 'everywhere we go' kinda thing

the younger you are when you train, and the better your trainer ( yes, you should for this have a trainer)
    the 2 or so years it will take you to have SA with you all the time with no stress, the better the chances for you & yours to have that long & happy life.
    the moments you let slip....Murphy waits on these to pounce. and action will always beat re-action.
    so which side do you wish to be coming from?

better paying attention in the hear & now than possibly making your what-ifs and how comes from a hospitable bed during recovery.

the gun you carry hoping you will never need
    the practice you maintain, hoping you will never need
    the awreness of whats about you happening may be what keeps it that way.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

When you step out your door to greet the day, or evening with a gun strapped on, you have to ensure that your head is in the game!

You should ensure you have all your tools. You should ensure you remain cognizant of all safety considerations regarding carrying a deadly weapon. And above all, you should be aware that you may be called to action at anytime and challenged to act on a moments notice!

That demands as much mental preparation as much as anything else.

You can't be going around thinking all day long that nothing will happen, or that it can't happen to you. You have to have in the back of your mind that, today may be the day!

It could happen at a stoplight while sitting in your car. It could happen standing in line at the bank (more high risk), or just standing in line at the grocery store (less risk). It can also happen sitting at your cubicle, inside an office doing seemingly boring, mundane work. You just never know.

It can, and does happen, anytime, anywhere.

When the time comes, whether you are caught off guard or not, whether your situational awareness gave you cause for alarm or let you down completely, you are going to have to act or possibly lose your life.

I hope if you choose to carry a gun, you are up to the task.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do understand the statement, "any place, any time", but most people I know, never think of this.
    I sometimes wonder if I'm too consumed with my distrust and suspicion of most of those around me (in public places), but I cannot change how I feel.
    I wish more people were situationally aware...I guess that just makes lots of easier targets to pick on, other than me...O.K.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry at all times.

After dark at the house, I carry a 38 on my side and my Sig 220 within an arms reach beside my mag light. In the back room where my wife plays on her computer is a Rem 870.

Being prepared allows me to relax and enjoy my evenings. Should self defense ever be required at the house, we stand a fair shot at coming out ok.

When on the streets, I'm always awake and carrying my Sig. I think for the most part I stand a fair chance out there too.
    Bark'n likes this.

Trouble could find any of us at the most unlikely moment. In a hotel lobby, at the grocery store, waiting at a red light or even in your own home. How many of us are ready to defend our families at a moments notice when we are at home, where your situational awareness will naturally be at its lowest? This is one reason I carry even at home.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links