Talking to the media after a shooting?

This is a discussion on Talking to the media after a shooting? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't talk to the media no matter what. That goes for things that may happen that isn't shooting related....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Talking to the media after a shooting?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't talk to the media no matter what. That goes for things that may happen that isn't shooting related.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I'm perfectly content with my closeups on ESPN.

If I don't ignore them completely, I would say that I have no comment at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I think there will be a disease named after them soon.
    There already is one. It's called "narcissism." And it's rampant...from Geraldo to the Narcissist-in-Chief, and a whole bunch of egotists in-between.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Anything you say can AND WILL be used against you in a court of law.

Bad odds, IMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    My tick-lock will be on and I'm throwin' away the key.

What shooting???

Oh, you mean the one next door???????,,,,as I point, and shut the door.

According to my best recollection, I don't remember.

Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What I do have an issue with is the homeowner, on camera, telling in great detail what happened and giving the camera crew a tour of the scene, including the cat litter on the floor to soak up the blood. He goes on and on about how he was protecting his family, etc.
    Now all the BGs friends know the address, what the homeowner looks like, what kind of weapon was used, possibly where it's stored... There is no good reason to talk to the press.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    He probably doesn't realize the consequences of his actions. Before I became a member of this forum I had no idea at how dangerous it can be to talk to the police let alone the media, etc. You guys have taught me a lot in the past year and I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience so that people like me can benefit accordingly.
    I guess my wife and I were lucky, because when we took our CHL class, one of the things the instructor pointed out and emphasized was how to handle the aftermath of a self defense shooting. He stressed to say ONLY that "you were afraid for your life and you shot to stop the threat", to the responding LEOs. "You will be happy to issue a further statement after you talk to your lawyer, but right now you are still too shook up from the fear for your life to say anything more." And NEVER say ANYTHING to the media!! Those sentiments have been reinforced many times on this forum. I believe my wife and I had a much better instructor and instruction than many of the people here on this forum and around the country, and I don't mind that Ohio has a 12 hour training requirement. Our instructor spent quite a bit of time covering Ohio's gun laws and the aftermath of the use of lethal force as well as firearms safety and the required range time and qualification.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    The thing is that they pounce on you. The day after my incident I came back from lunch and there was the camera crew and they started interviewing me
    standing right where the BG had been pointing a gun in my face.
    I think I had less time to react to them than I did during the robbery attempt.

And the chopping up the interview to fit their aggenda is exactly correct. They took about an hours worth of footage from everyone, spliced it up to
    fit the story they all ready decided on and where they couldn't edit, they quoted out of context and ran with it. (about a 5 minute package)
    Truth was not their intent, but entertainment value and ratings.

I don't know about most people, but I was a bit too shook up still to even realize that I really didn't want to respond to the press.
    I just had a seemingly polite attractive young woman suddenly asking me questions.
    Didn't really know how to respond except to be polite back.

I guess that's another thing to train yourself for ... the aftermath.
    The media sure seems to thrive on the bum-rush attack.

I'd have to bite my tongue so as not to give them a good lashing, & thus coloring a potential jury pool in the process. I don't enjoy most reality TV. I sure has heck-fire don't want to be on it!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    After hours of considerable thought (as if my mind could stay on track that long!) I have condensed any possible media interviews down to four words: "No comment; now leave!"
    Pistology likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The ex-police officer who taught my concealed carry class told us to tell the police that: "I feared for my life, and I shot him. I'd like to speak to my lawyer before saying anything else." Then speak to no one but your lawyer.

One point I haven't seen mentioned. What if the bad guy were part of a gang? Until I watched that video about the shop owner who kept killing the bad guys, the whole gang concept never occurred to me. If you kill a gang member and the news media tells the whole world who was killed, who did the killing, and where the killing took place, then you may be a target for revenge. But I seriously doubt gangs keep a lot of track of exactly which house is planned to be robbed at which time. So hopefully, gangbanger comes to my house, gets killed, and with any luck the rest of the gang may never know what happened to him. Sure, they could probably figure it out if they tried really hard searching public documents and stuff, but I don't think they are that smart or assertive.

I would NEVER talk to the media!

Some years back, my wife was interviewed by the local TV station about the closing of an historic school where she was teaching. During the 20-25 minute interview she acknowledged the hardship it would pose to the families who lived close by and walked their children to school, but she repeated several times that she understood and supported the school board's decision.

That night when the story ran on TV for 2-3 minutes they had edited it in such a way that it sounded like she opposed the decision to close the school. The story had not finished airing by 5 minutes when our phone began to ring. Her principal, district superintendent, school board legal department, etc. wanting to know why she had made such negative comments on TV.

It took her several days and a lot of detailed explaining before she was able to make sure that her job was not in jeopardy. NEVER EVER talk to the media.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

One point I haven't seen mentioned. What if the bad guy were part of a gang? Until I watched that video about the shop owner who kept killing the bad guys, the whole gang concept never occurred to me. If you kill a gang member and the news media tells the whole world who was killed, who did the killing, and where the killing took place, then you may be a target for revenge.
    Exactly. Blabbing to the media in the immediate aftermath of something like that is extremely foolish on so many levels.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Nothing to be gained and everything to be lost. People have 1 mouth and 2 ears, most would do well to use them with the same proportionment.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My CHL instructor took quite a bit of time talking about the aftermath. He went through everything from the moments after it happens to talking to the first responder. Basically, what has been said here.

He told a story about a recent situation where a young man and his girlfriend were forced to defend themselves with lethal force. It was in a populated area and someone had a video camera going during the aftermath (maybe a phone cam).After the police were done with this young guy and girl and he was getting in his car he turned and mouthed to a friend "Got that basta*d"
    The prosecution had a "lip reading expert" verify that that was what he said and he went away for quite some time. Moral of the story is to keep your mouth shut until you talk to your lawyer. Don't even talk where no one can hear you.
    Just sayin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links