Talking to the media after a shooting?

This is a discussion on Talking to the media after a shooting? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by adric22 One point I haven't seen mentioned. What if the bad guy were part of a gang? Until I watched that video ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Talking to the media after a shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    One point I haven't seen mentioned. What if the bad guy were part of a gang? Until I watched that video about the shop owner who kept killing the bad guys, the whole gang concept never occurred to me. If you kill a gang member and the news media tells the whole world who was killed, who did the killing, and where the killing took place, then you may be a target for revenge. But I seriously doubt gangs keep a lot of track of exactly which house is planned to be robbed at which time. So hopefully, gangbanger comes to my house, gets killed, and with any luck the rest of the gang may never know what happened to him. Sure, they could probably figure it out if they tried really hard searching public documents and stuff, but I don't think they are that smart or assertive.
    I guess the whole point of a gang member going down and Not you, is that you live to fight another day. They are smarter than you think, planting people in CO positions, PD positions and so forth. You brought up a good point. I would think that this kind of shooting would be the worse case scenario, if other gang members came looking to get even.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

2. Remove Ads

Having grown up and been in Television for 17 years and now having been out for 31 years, I would not talk to any media. I have been on TV plenty of times since I got out of TV, but when someone who has been in Television is involved in something that gets their name up in Lights, it is always noted "Joe Smith" formerly of WXXX-TV was picked up for DUI in Sometown, USA. This is also why I have always had unlisted phone numbers as there are folks out there looking for someone that they saw on TV. I am glad it has been 31 years away. This way even my address is not known.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I would not talk and refer all questions to the attorney. What is sad is that many times I have seen family of the perpetrators talk to the media and make the guys sound like he is a good person or good kid as one case

‪Black Teen Killed Attemping Burglary - Mom Says: It's Normal‬‏ - YouTube

Ok, what do you do when they bum rush you at work to give you an award for "People taking Action , Getting Results"?

I got hit with a camera crew again today.

(BTW I'm not quite sure this belongs here because there was no shooting with me. I pulled the gun, BG went running away)

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    "no comment."
    There, I fixed it for you...

Reporter: What happened?
    You: He was trespassing & asking me questions so I shot him... (Then get an evil look on your face as you reach into your pocket & inch toward the reporter....)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Ok, what do you do when they bum rush you at work to give you an award for "People taking Action , Getting Results"?

(BTW I'm not quite sure this belongs here because there was no shooting with me. I pulled the gun, BG went running away)
    why can't you just ignore them? if you avoid and ignore they will go away

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    why can't you just ignore them? if you avoid and ignore they will go away
    News Story : Ungrateful ******* refuses to accept our generous thanks.

Not good for business. Where's my "win" senerio?

I think that ignoring the press would be easier if there was a question of any legal issues, but there are none in my case.

I think I'm just whinning. and taking this thread down an unrelated path. My appologies for the thread hijack.

I wouldn't talk to the media about anything ever. Even if you were a hero or had the ultimate warm fuzzy story, you still have a better than average chance of either being misquoted, cast in a bad light, or used for sensationalism. Pass.

IMO One should NEVER EVER EVER talk to the media after any kind of an incident. I recomend some limited conversation with the police. The are bound by law to record, and report only what was actually said. The media however have no interest in justice. Their major intent is to sell as many copies as possible, or to get the largest viewing audience. Justice be damned, the truth be damned. They will sell dish detergent at the expense of your freedom or safety. Why does the media show the home of someone who just shot a gang member in self defense. Easy... They'd love to see the gang come back and kill the whole family so they can do a follow-up to the origonal story. Why does the media always fall upon a tragic situation and broadcast the victims and their families pain? Because it sell's soap. IF IT BLEEDS IT LEADS..

Spuk!
    Guantes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I would not talk and refer all questions to the attorney. What is sad is that many times I have seen family of the perpetrators talk to the media and make the guys sound like he is a good person or good kid as one case

‪Black Teen Killed Attemping Burglary - Mom Says: It's Normal‬‏ - YouTube

This story is a perfect example of what I think of the media. First off... what difference does the race of the perp make? It's not like they need it for an active description.Typical race baiting. Media tactic. Why put the kids obviously uneducated, confused, and possibly absent mother on?... again media race baiting. These people dont give a damn about any of us... until we go shopping and buy from their sponsers.

VIP Member

News Story : Ungrateful ******* refuses to accept our generous thanks.

Not good for business. Where's my "win" senerio?

I think that ignoring the press would be easier if there was a question of any legal issues, but there are none in my case.

I think I'm just whinning. and taking this thread down an unrelated path. My appologies for the thread hijack.
    Company shouldn't subject employees to media bum rushes. Have the company spokesperson say what cops say when they get awards: I'm not a hero... just doing what anyone would do...
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I once worked in media (radio) and I didn't even want to talk to myself :P

Journalists don't get promoted unless they have something to report. They are very vulture-like and will scavenge ANYTHING to get what they want. If you don't have a lawyer on standby (not necessarily on retainer, but standby), make friends with one. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 of them in the band I'm in and one of which is also a CCW permit holder.

The advice of minimum to first responders & holding out rest for legal is solid....anything outside of that can get you into a lot of trouble.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

JD
    Administrator
    Regarding talking to the media, those interested might want to read this thread: Mas Ayoob on the Tucson shooting which includes some of the dealings with the media after the shooting.

Talking to anyone is a mistake including the police.

Call 911, tell them you need an ambulance and the police because an intruder tried to kill you and you were afraid for your life. Don't say anything else until you are read your miranda rights. At that point, your answer to the police questioning should be I am invoking my right against self incrimination and I want to speak to my lawyer. If they re-mirandize you later, your answer is exactly the same as before.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links