Home Security

This is a discussion on Home Security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Dennis1209 I have ADT myself. It does a good job keeping non-criminals out! If someone did break in while away, by the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Home Security

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I have ADT myself. It does a good job keeping non-criminals out! If someone did break in while away, by the time ADT called here to verify (took :22 minutes last time wife cooked and set off smoke detector) and the sheriff's deputy arrived, the burglar would be on his third house. But, with two dogs and and alarm system as a deterrent, it's better than nothing. So, if deterrence doesn't effect the BG'S decision making process, a chance encounter weight lifting 1840 grains will. My arithmetic is 230 x 8= 1840. That's not bad for someone with only a H/S edgeacation.
    I believe it is referred to as a "H/S edgeamacation". But I do like your math!
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    I wish I had room for 2 dogs. I do have motion lights but all the break ins around me have been daytime ones. Basically if some one where to break in I would want a loud alarm to go off locally and for myself and maybe a couple other associates of mine to be informed. I guess that is my real goal here.

And now I am going to end up looking for available dogs all day knowing that I can't get one. Thanks claude
    1 dog? 1 is better than none and cheaper than a security system that just calls the cops to come make a chalk outline... Whatever residence I happen to be staying in at the time is IMPENETRABLE without setting off the indoor dog alarm first and my indoor alarm happens to be an eating machine too...
    Justified likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Even little dogs can make a lot of noise, don't like them myself but if its all I could get I'd own an ankle biter

I just went through this and purchased one from here:
    Home Technology Store: Wireless Home Security, Home Intercoms, Home Theater, Structured Wiring, Multi-Room Audio, Home Automation

This one in particular:
    Abbra Professional Wireless Home Security System Kit - Includes 1 year alarm monitoring service

I added sensors to it of course, as well as a flood sensor for my sump pump. Love the service, very fast and reliable. Best of all no monitoring is required after the first month, but it's so inexpensive I keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I just went through this and purchased one from here:
    Home Technology Store: Wireless Home Security, Home Intercoms, Home Theater, Structured Wiring, Multi-Room Audio, Home Automation

This one in particular:
    Abbra Professional Wireless Home Security System Kit - Includes 1 year alarm monitoring service

I added sensors to it of course, as well as a flood sensor for my sump pump. Love the service, very fast and reliable. Best of all no monitoring is required after the first month, but it's so inexpensive I keep it.
    Likeing the look of that. How do you like it? Any recommended adders? I would be adding a few motions but at $30 per contact might be too much to put one on every entry point
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I love it!

I can program it from the web, enable/disable, home or away settings, and the best thing is, unlike ADT or others, I have the installer code. I can do whatever I want with it.

2 monitoring options
    a: full monitoring where they can dispatch fire/police/ambulance (you can set which for certain sensors)
    b: alert only, where you get an email/text message and decide how to proceed

There's more I want to buy, but my house is covered now and the extras will be just convenience features like the second keypad I just added and the extra wireless siren I plan to purchase.

Actually the kit I got was a little more because it included the Internet piece.

Definitely worth it.

I don't remember if you have kids or not, but there's a latchkey feature that can alert you if they don't put in their code by a certain time.

I love it!

I can program it from the web, enable/disable, home or away settings, and the best thing is, unlike ADT or others, I have the installer code. I can do whatever I want with it.

2 monitoring options
    a: full monitoring where they can dispatch fire/police/ambulance (you can set which for certain sensors)
    b: alert only, where you get an email/text message and decide how to proceed

There's more I want to buy, but my house is covered now and the extras will be just convenience features like the second keypad I just added and the extra wireless siren I plan to purchase.
    This is sounding pretty much like what I am looking for. If you do not have the monitoring can you still set it up to notify you and/or multiple people?
    - George Orwell Military

If you have a land line you can set it up to call whoever you want.

If you have a land line you can set it up to call whoever you want.
    That is a problem bc I don't. I would have to use magic jack or something.
    - George Orwell Military

I don't either, but at $8/month or whatever it is it's a great value. Besides, the notifications are much quicker over the web, no dial tone to deal with! :)

$8 is cheap for monitoring. Have you tested the responce times?
    - George Orwell Military

Yeah, it's very fast... too fast when you forget it's armed and tinker with your second keypad to get it registered to the system. :) Before I got the battery cover back on my phone was ringing.

When I arm it in the morning I get a 'system armed' email before I get out of my driveway, all of which is your choice to receive or not. You really have full control over it.

The hardware is also very well made, they put a lot of thought into it.

Loving it. Do you work for them or somethin?
    - George Orwell Military

I have my house armed with a big dog, I use web cams that broadcast to my private Ustream accounts so I can check on them all day from my smart phone whenever I am not home on the road and I treat my neighbors really well. That's the best I can do on a very low budget in a rented house. Fresh alarm stickers on the windows work as well. Can't say enough about how important a dog is, the best burglar alarm available.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Stay armed when home, get a good safe for when you're away, and get a dependable canine for added 24-hr security.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links