Home Security

This is a discussion on Home Security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Justified Loving it. Do you work for them or somethin? Nope, I'm an IT guy at a medical education facility - just ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Home Security

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Loving it. Do you work for them or somethin?
    Nope, I'm an IT guy at a medical education facility - just really happy with my choice and recommend it to anyone that asks, including my neighbors.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change anything.

Oh, as far as the dog comments - they don't do much good when there's a fire or flood, an alarm system like this could save their lives - just some food for thought.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I gurantee you my dogs will go nuts if there is a fire and let me know if there is a flood by waking me up. They wont while I'm away from the house but that doesn't matter much cause they are outside and my junk is insured. My life is what I want dogs for not my junk.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nothing will stop a determined thief; you can only make it "not easy." The majority of break-ins are when the homeowner is away, so attack your problem from that aspect. Fences hide burglers, as does that "privacy" landscaping. Cameras "might' show you who took your TV, but it will only stop the opportunist thieves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

@Ranger-ha, I am actually lucky I spelled "centuries" correctly, let alone the right usage (not my strong suit)

@jarhead74- That is why I am looking for a system that can dial out to numbers I program instead of having some ADT system or something.

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

That is awesome!! I am keeping a copy. Way better the the one that mixes up the order of the words letters but our brains can read it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I would highly recommend everyone in this thread get a POTS line. Even when the power is out your land line will work. I have one and there isn't even a phone plugged into it. When Ike blew thru here I was gtg plugging my old school phone in the rj11 jack. A POTS line is powered by the line itself and most if it is buried. That's why the big name sec co's recommended you have one. When shtf, chances are your POTS line will still work. On a side note, if you are not happy with ur current sec provider there are companies that will come in and take over their monitoring. They'll come out and change the number on the dialer. Often times it's much cheaper and better service.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I like the idea of an alarm system if you add one of these: burglarbomb.com/Repulsar-IV.aspx]Repulsar IV OC pepper spray security system upgrade[/B]
    Last edited by whisky19; July 21st, 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: update link

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    I like the idea of an alarm system if you add one of these: burglarbomb.com/Repulsar-IV.aspx]Repulsar IV OC pepper spray security system upgrade[/B]
    can't desplay the page.....
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

can't desplay the page.....
    Sorry.Old link. Try this one:http://www.offsitesolution.com/index.php?id=9 I was referencing the Repulsar IV but any of the 1st 4 are options.

Sorry.Old link. Try this one:http://www.offsitesolution.com/index.php?id=9 I was referencing the Repulsar IV but any of the 1st 4 are options.
    Awesome!! I was thinking more like one of these:

Advanced_sentry_gun.jpg
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    I would highly recommend everyone in this thread get a POTS line. Even when the power is out your land line will work. I have one and there isn't even a phone plugged into it. When Ike blew thru here I was gtg plugging my old school phone in the rj11 jack. A POTS line is powered by the line itself and most if it is buried. That's why the big name sec co's recommended you have one. When shtf, chances are your POTS line will still work. On a side note, if you are not happy with ur current sec provider there are companies that will come in and take over their monitoring.
    Not sure I can agree with this. A few years ago we had a series of tornadoes blow through Ft.Worth area. I was on-route to home when they came through. I had two cell phones with me in the car at the time, one was personal and the other was a company phone. Both were through different carriers. Neither one would get a signal. But I was sure when I got home that I'd be able to make a few calls. Well, when I finally made it home, the power was out and the land-line was also dead. I felt like I was living in the stone age for about 24 hours.

Another problem with POTS lines is that they are poorly maintained these days. Ours died several times and we kept calling the phone company. It would usually take them a week to get somebody out. They'd fix it and it would work for a month or so, then die again. The last guy that came out, I asked him what was going on and he told me that POTS lines are in a big decline and the phone company has cut the budget for servicing the lines. All of the very few technicians they have left are working 6 or 7 days a week to try to keep up. The last time it went out, we gave up and switched our home phone over to our cable company since we were already getting internet through them. We haven't had a problem with it since. Oh - and since I have a battery backup for my network equipment, my phone will still work when the power goes out unless it stays out for an hour or more.

Awesome!! I was thinking more like one of these:

Advanced_sentry_gun.jpg
    How about one of these: Sentry Gun LOL

Quote Originally Posted by adric22
    Oh - and since I have a battery backup for my network equipment, my phone will still work when the power goes out unless it stays out for an hour or more.
    Bingo - and it only takes seconds for the alarm system to send the ping to the monitoring service since you do not need to deal with a dial tone!

VIP Member
    I know exactly what would happen if I put any of these in my home. It wouldn't be nice.

It is inevitable that the dang thing will go off or get set off.

There is no such thing as a fully secure house. You can get close, but "invincible" is impossible.

Haven't there been a few instances where high profile folks living in homes with fancy systems and private security guards have nonetheless awakened to find intruders. My memory is faulty, but didn't that happen to one of The Beatles?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links