Home Security

Home Security

This is a discussion on Home Security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Short of a 12 foot wall and centuries I don't think I could stop someone from getting into my house. That being said does anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Home Security

Question Home Security

Short of a 12 foot wall and centuries I don't think I could stop someone from getting into my house. That being said does anyone have a recommendation for a good home security system? Ideally I would want to have at least 4-5 motion activated cameras with night vision and the capability to identify BG within a 30 foot range, a quality DVR, the capability to dial out multiple lines via VoIP (when motion is detected), a local alarm, and a means of activation/deactivation. Obviously variations that accomplish these desired results would be just as affective. Any thoughts on missing components? I do not have a home phone line at the moment, just internet and Uverse.

A bonus would be the ability to remotely monitor what was going on with a computer and/or smart phone. And all this for $5.00, Jk but cost is always a consideration.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

One thing I found is that if you have a monitored system, you have to maintain the monitoring service or they send a signal down to render it useless. Meaning you can't use the system as a stand alone. I found out the hard way.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

You don't want centuries. You want sentries.

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Short of a 12 foot wall and centuries I don't think I could stop someone from getting into my house. That being said does anyone have a recommendation for a good home security system? Ideally I would want to have at least 4-5 motion activated cameras with night vision and the capability to identify BG within a 30 foot range, a quality DVR, the capability to dial out multiple lines via VoIP (when motion is detected), a local alarm, and a means of activation/deactivation. Obviously variations that accomplish these desired results would be just as affective. Any thoughts on missing components? I do not have a home phone line at the moment, just internet and Uverse.

A bonus would be the ability to remotely monitor what was going on with a computer and/or smart phone. And all this for $5.00, Jk but cost is always a consideration.
    macdefense likes this.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

@Ranger-ha, I am actually lucky I spelled "centuries" correctly, let alone the right usage (not my strong suit)

@jarhead74- That is why I am looking for a system that can dial out to numbers I program instead of having some ADT system or something.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

You also want your external communication line to be wireless (i.e., cell phone), or land line with wireless backup. The Achilles heel of conventional alarm systems is that they can be defeated by cutting the phone line(s) into the house.

Re the monitoring service - you might not want a service like ADT, but who will intercept the alarm signal 24/7/365? If you're driving someplace with bad cell reception is bad, Murphy's Law suggests that's when your home will fall prey to fire, flood or break-in.

Also, don't rely exclusively on motion detectors for security. You need contactors on windows and exterior doors, plus possibly some interior doors. A good security system defines a protection perimeter and then several discrete zones. My focus with a home security system is more on deterrence and detection (preventing break-in) and less on identification of who the threat is. Put another way, cameras are low on my list of security system components.

I would solicit proposals from a few security system providers in your area. See what they suggest, then base your own DIY system on their proposals.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    LOL! As someone who works in the electronic security industry (I don't do residential) I hear all the time "I want" until they find out how much decent, quality equipment cost installed correctly. For a quality system, not that cheap crap from Sam's and such, you are looking at about $10K at least installed and that is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You also want your external communication line to be wireless (i.e., cell phone), or land line with wireless backup. The Achilles heel of conventional alarm systems is that they can be defeated by cutting the phone line(s) into the house.

Re the monitoring service - you might not want a service like ADT, but who will intercept the alarm signal 24/7/365? If you're driving someplace with bad cell reception is bad, Murphy's Law suggests that's when your home will fall prey to fire, flood or break-in.

Good point with the phone line thing. That will take some further investigating.

Also, don't rely exclusively on motion detectors for security. You need contactors on windows and exterior doors, plus possibly some interior doors. A good security system defines a protection perimeter and then several discrete zones. My focus with a home security system is more on deterrence and detection (preventing break-in) and less on identification of who the threat is. Put another way, cameras are low on my list of security system components.

I would solicit proposals from a few security system providers in your area. See what they suggest, then base your own DIY system on their proposals.
    Good point with the phone line thing. That will take some further investigating.

I am looking to prevent a break in as well. So camera might not be a priority as you have illistrated. Good points. To cover ground level entry points I would need to monitor 20 entry points. That with some motions would be ALOT or little wires to run around my house from the 30s. I am a electrical project manager so I might have to hit up one of my reps to get me some stuff. Just wanted to get it all in my head first.
    Last edited by Justified; July 19th, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: replied within the quote
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    id want to know how it came to be that one thinks this type of security is even necessary?
    .....ok, cause the system lets the criminals run it, thats why.

2 dogs, one big, one small and lights on motion sensors outside. inside lights controlled from the master bedroom.
    under $200 at radio shack--appliance modules. set them to light the house before you come home, they can also be
    run through the computer and access via your phone. cost more but lots less than monthly fees
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    LOL! As someone who works in the electronic security industry (I don't do residential) I hear all the time "I want" until they find out how much decent, quality equipment cost installed correctly. For a quality system, not that cheap crap from Sam's and such, you are looking at about $10K at least installed and that is just a guess.
    You just took all the fun out of my most recent DIY project
    Maybe they have a Security Crashers show that can come and put a system in for me.
    - George Orwell Military

In regards to the phoneline aspect; I know my company that I use needed a landline. I voiced a concern about what if the line was rendered inoperable as well. They assured me that the alarm would still go off and at the very least alert any locals. Not sure how far your neighbors are. They also added a line cut alarm so that if someone cut the phone line the alarm would sound.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    id want to know how it came to be that one thinks this type of security is even necessary?
    .....ok, cause the system lets the criminals run it, thats why.

2 dogs, one big, one small and lights on motion sensors outside. inside lights controlled from the master bedroom.
    under $200 at radio shack--appliance modules. set them to light the house before you come home, they can also be
    run through the computer and access via your phone. cost more but lots less than monthly fees
    I wish I had room for 2 dogs. I do have motion lights but all the break ins around me have been daytime ones. Basically if some one where to break in I would want a loud alarm to go off locally and for myself and maybe a couple other associates of mine to be informed. I guess that is my real goal here.

And now I am going to end up looking for available dogs all day knowing that I can't get one. Thanks claude
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    You just took all the fun out of my most recent DIY project
    Maybe they have a Security Crashers show that can come and put a system in for me.
    It's called 'it takes a thief'. Don't know if it still runs, but look it up, was a neat show. One guy would break into the house, the his buddy would go thru and try to theft proof the house, then guy one would try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    It's called 'it takes a thief'. Don't know if it still runs, but look it up, was a neat show. One guy would break into the house, the his buddy would go thru and try to theft proof the house, then guy one would try again.
    That sounds sweet, I can't believe I haven't heard of it!
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member
    It was a very cool show. Both guys were reformed burglars.

After the first guy breaks in and essentially ransacks the house, they show the footage to the homeowner, and outline all of the security flaws (the top of ever list was "doors/windows weren't locked"). They would then install a security system, sometimes new doors and/or windows, locks, wall/floor safes, etc.

I liked watching it just to get an idea of the flaws in my home security.

I have ADT myself. It does a good job keeping non-criminals out! If someone did break in while away, by the time ADT called here to verify (took :22 minutes last time wife cooked and set off smoke detector) and the sheriff's deputy arrived, the burglar would be on his third house. But, with two dogs and and alarm system as a deterrent, it's better than nothing. So, if deterrence doesn't effect the BG'S decision making process, a chance encounter weight lifting 1840 grains will. My arithmetic is 230 x 8= 1840. That's not bad for someone with only a H/S edgeacation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links