Traveling from Michigan to Richmond VA

This is a discussion on Traveling from Michigan to Richmond VA within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning a trip from Michigan to Richmond VA via car. I will bypass DC going down and coming back. Can I still carry ...

Thread: Traveling from Michigan to Richmond VA

Traveling from Michigan to Richmond VA

I am planning a trip from Michigan to Richmond VA via car. I will bypass DC going down and coming back. Can I still carry my weapon in my car even loaded while going around DC? I may go to DC proper but will leave my weapon in VA.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Perhaps someone with more knowledge of DC specifically will chime in, but typically when you are traveling through an area where carry is prohibited, you need to stow your guns in an inaccessible place and an inoperable condition, e.g. unloaded, locked in the trunk with the firing mechanism open.

A good place to start would be handgunlaw.us and click on the DC in the map (the little bar to the right). It will bring up a pdf with the laws. Beware that sometimes the site is a little out of date. Specifically look at the section on page 2, that says a person may carry in certain circumstances, of which item 4 is "While it is being transported for a lawful purpose as expressly authorized by District or federal statute and in accordance with the requirements of that statute"

DO NOT drive around MD or DC with a firearm in your vehicle. You can drive THROUGH MD as long as you comply with FOPA, ie, locked unloaded in your trunk or if no trunk in a locked case unloaded. Loaded mags are OK in MD as long as it is not in the firearm.

Good to hear you're staying in VA. You'll have no problems there. You can drive around VA with your firearm on the seat or in your glove box or console. Just don't conceal it on your person unless you have a CCW from a state VA recognizes. OC in VA is OK as well. Have a safe trip.

Handgunlaw.us is a good place to get info

Thanks. Since I have never been to DC, I wanted to make sure that I was only a visitor and not become a permanent resident

If you are going from Michigan to Virginia, why are you going through Maryland and DC?

You should head south via I-75 to I-80, then east to I-79 in PA, then take US 119 (watch for speed traps in Summerville, WV), then east along I-64. You would only have to contend with OH (check the new rules on guns in cars), PA, and WV before you get to VA. VA is open carry, if you do not have reciprocity.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Though it might appear longer, there is no traffic issues like I-270 and I-95 in the DC area. You could be in rush-hour traffic on roads you are not familiar with from Frederick, MD, at the junction of I-70 and I-270, until you cross the Rapidan River on I-95 at Fredericsburg, VA. Much more pleasant drive.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Thanks for the info. I have a valid Michigan CPL and we share reciprocity with VA. I can imagine how traffic must be around DC I even try to avoid traffic here in Detroit.

The advice you've received so far is spot on. Just to reiterate, DO NOT CARRY A GUN IN OR AROUND THE DC AND MD AREA.

Va. Wv, and Pa, you should be fine. But Md and DC are big no-no's.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your visit.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for those wonderful words of advice!! My CCW will not be visiting the DC area!

Links