Traveling fom Omaha NE to Bellville .Illinois

This is a discussion on Traveling fom Omaha NE to Bellville .Illinois within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm traveling from Omaha NE to Bellville Illinois (West of St Louis) in few days. With NE CCW I'm good in Iowa and Missouri. With ...

Thread: Traveling fom Omaha NE to Bellville .Illinois

I'm traveling from Omaha NE to Bellville Illinois (West of St Louis) in few days.
    With NE CCW I'm good in Iowa and Missouri. With Illinois restriction on handguns should I encased the gun in the box in the trunk with ammo separated to be legal? What I read it looks like it's enough, just want be sure about it

Better re-check your maps, Belleville, Illinois is EAST of St. Louis

my bad , it is still in Illinois

According to Federal Interstate traveling laws that should do it,of course if you are spending any length of time in the only state I can't carry in in the midwest I would make sure that is kept well hidden until you get back in the REAL world
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here is the e-mail I got from Illinois state police regarding transporting through the state:

You would be correct in that Illinois does not have a conceal and carry
    permit, nor do we recognize other states conceal and carry. In order to be
    legal in Illinois you must be legally eligible to possess or acquire
    firearms and ammunition in your state of residence. It is recommended
    that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents
    transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

JoAnn Bubonic
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Applications Section Manager
    217-782-4434
    Note: Enclosed in a case does not mean "locked in the trunk" and the case can be a brief case, a zippered pouch, etc... it just needs to be inaccessible to the driver. There have been recent victories for 2A in Illinois when a driver won on a weapons charge while travelling with a firearm in his center counsel.

My suggestion, do what I did & send an e-mail to the illinois state police and ask. Keep a copy of the response in your car with you as well as a copy of ownership papers for whatever weapons you will have with you in case you have to deal with an LEO.

Belleville is nice for a town in a communist state. They have a nice indoor range in downtown Belleville. I travel there on business often.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thanks for responses; I'm going for the funeral of the old friend so I will spend only couple days there.
    I will stop in St Louis and box the gun before I cross the border with anti gun state.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoglocks View Post
    I'm traveling from Omaha NE to Bellville Illinois (West of St Louis) in few days.
    With NE CCW I'm good in Iowa and Missouri. With Illinois restriction on handguns should I encased the gun in the box in the trunk with ammo separated to be legal? What I read it looks like it's enough, just want be sure about it
    since your destination is in IL and you are not permitted to have a gun in IL federal law will not cover you on this trip, you should rethink bringing your gun. the federal law only covers you if you are travelling through a state that doesn't honor your permit, not staying in that state.

I called Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau today and it is OK to have the gun uloaded and lockt up
    with ammo separated and gun not accessible to the driver while traveling. I can have it in the hotel too but this depends of the place I'm staying

you keep saying travelling, and if you were travelling you'd be ok but your destination is a place where possessing a weapon is seriously restricted, I don't know the exact laws in IL but if you were going to some eastern states like NY or NJ you would be in great risk of going to jail if the weapon is found. be very careful because getting it wrong could prove to be very costly.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Since you are going to be in Illinois and not traveling through the state, I would put the gun in the trunk in a locked box and the ammunition somewhere else. I would leave it there until I was safely out of the Peoples Republic of Illinois. It's not worth the risk to even take into your hotel room.

Things are changing in Illinois, but they aren't there yet.
    NRA Life Member

That's what I said to the officer, that I have the gun vault in the trunk attached with cable and don't want to take it out when I'm there. He said good luck( not being sarcastic)

I lived a stones throw away from Belleville (Cahokia) for decades. I'm no longer a subject to the "Peoples Republic" of Illinois and enjoying life now. If you get a chance and want to blow off some steam, Belleville Sporting Goods, on the 200 block of N. Illinois (hwy 159), west side of the road, has a nice 8 lane indoor shooting range. Last time I was there it was $15.00 / hour for non members. They have a very large selection of guns and accessories. If you would, when you're there, tell ex-Gov. Ryan and Bag-O-B%tch I send my warm regards.

That's where my hotel is located in Cahokia, will think about it. About the regards, I'l keep it to myself; it won't do any good unless his family member gets victim of random crime.

Links