Gun safe placement

Gun safe placement

This is a discussion on Gun safe placement within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got a three level STACK ON safe for my four handguns and put it in the basement with the guns, ammo and extras(Surefire, extra ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun safe placement

Gun safe placement

Just got a three level STACK ON safe for my four handguns and put it in the basement with the guns, ammo and extras(Surefire, extra mags, etc...). My question is this: before the safe I kept all the guns in a lockable Red Head aluminum type " brief case" sort of carrier and got used to it being in the bedroom closet--- nearby and accessible. Now that the safe is in the basement( easily moved at about 29 lbs.
    empty), I'm not so sure I like it there. So, is the basement a good place? I don't intend to bolt it down so it can be easily moved, but I did get used to the closet placement for the last 18 months. What do you long-time gun folks think? I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Why can't it go in the closet? I would have my safe as close as possible.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

WIFEY has other ideas! I still might lug it back.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I understand, lol but it sounds like it is pretty small, it shouldn't take up much of her closet space.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

It measures about 21" W, 18 1/2 " H, and about 10" D. Not a large size, but big enough for my handguns and " stuff."

I have multiple safes of various sizes throughout the house. It used to seem weird to have more than one till I started thinking about it. If I have all my weapons in one spot and can't get to them they are not real usefull. I do have the smaller lighter safes bolted to larger, heavier items. I do have one that is recessed into the wall. Your house should be set up to where you can take care of business from any location you get caught in. I also CC everywhere all day till I slip off to sleep. When I sleep I open carry on my night stand.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Good job on th safe. I just got a 14 gun canon safe. I put it where it would be extremely difficult to remove (esp. at 370 lbs). I would say the basement is fine. Tell your wife you will compromise with her and keep it done there then go get a small single hand gun safe (there are hundreds available) and keep that close to you in the bedroom. Best if both worlds, you get to let your wife think you listen to her and you get to buy something new to keep your HD gun in.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I do have my M&PC 9mm on my nightstand, so it is generally not in the safe. It does feel strange, however, not being able to check out any of my guns whenever the urge hits me and, since I'm in a condo, I go into the bedroom from time to time for files, receipts, or whatever.

I'd be concerned with dampness in your basement, unless it's already under control.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    One small safe in a location near the bed, a larger one elsewhere to store things when we're away, & one more small safe cabled in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd be concerned with dampness in your basement, unless it's already under control.
    My thoughts exactly. Plus, how often are you in your basement? The main safe should at least be reasonably accessible IMO.
    mprp likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Tell her she can keep her jewelry in it too.
    And family photos.
    Put it in the closet.

You may need a bigger safe.
    Keep the stack-on for ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ^^^For Sure^^^

Don't know all of your house details but I would at least make sure that one was easily accessible from your bedroom for the bumps in the night. Sounds like you're pretty well off as far as kids getting a hold of any but worst case, you setup can be stolen being as light as it is. If not bolted down in your closet, I would look into getting a bigger safe for in or around the bedroom. May be obvious that it's there, but a lot harder to steal. This would also give you a pretty good excuse to fill up the extra room in the safe with more guns, and allow you to store other items that you feel safe worthy.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If you do move it back up to the closet I'd bolt it down. At 29 pounds empty, probably 40 pounds full, it wouldn't be hard for a bad guy to cart it off to open at his leisure later. Where ever it is located, bolt it down as it was designed to be.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My first gun safe was a small Sentry safe that I purchased at an office supply store. It was adequate for the several handguns I had and some other small articles of value. I put it in a bedroom closet and bolted it to the floor. If it is not bolted down, someone can just cart it away and open it later in the privacy of their own space. I eventually graduated to a professional size safe. I wanted to put it on the second floor home office of my new house. I was told that the floor would have to be stressed for the weight of the safe and the installer was not sure if the stairs in my house would support the weight of the safe and the mechanical machine needed to move the safe up the stairs. I decided to put the safe in my garage. It has a cement floor rated at 3000 psi and the installer was able to bolt it 9" into the cement. No one is going to take away that safe. My garage is not air conditioned and it gets quite hot in there during the summer. But the safe has a fire rating of over 1800 degrees. I have an electric dehumidifier in the safe and in the 10 + years that I have had it, nothing has ever rusted or had any dampness. As the installer said after he completed the all day installation..."It will take a small nuclear bomb for someone to get into this baby."
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    My first gun safe was a small Sentry safe that I purchased at an office supply store. It was adequate for the several handguns I had and some other small articles of value. I put it in a bedroom closet and bolted it to the floor. If it is not bolted down, someone can just cart it away and open it later in the privacy of their own space. I eventually graduated to a professional size safe. I wanted to put it on the second floor home office of my new house. I was told that the floor would have to be stressed for the weight of the safe and the installer was not sure if the stairs in my house would support the weight of the safe and the mechanical machine needed to move the safe up the stairs. I decided to put the safe in my garage. It has a cement floor rated at 3000 psi and the installer was able to bolt it 9" into the cement. No one is going to take away that safe. My garage is not air conditioned and it gets quite hot in there during the summer. But the safe has a fire rating of over 1800 degrees. I have an electric dehumidifier in the safe and in the 10 + years that I have had it, nothing has ever rusted or had any dampness. As the installer said after he completed the all day installation..."It will take a small nuclear bomb for someone to get into this baby."
    I love having a nice safe. What size weight was yours? Mine was only 400 lbs +- I was worried about taking it on my stairs but luckily (for my buddy because he was on bottom) they held quite nicely.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links