Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

This is a discussion on Home Security System - Sign or No Sign within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sign and a 115lb yellow lab with an attitude....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

Sign and a 115lb yellow lab with an attitude.

2. Remove Ads

Don't know if it's been posted, but I would use a generic sign or a sign of a competitor ie ADT system w/an ACME sign in my yard. That way everyone knows I have a system just not which one.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Yep agree with NC Bullseye. I have watched those shows where they interview burglars and they say there are to many easy homes to get into so why mess with a home that may get them caught.

I have signs and I am confident it will deter most. For the next tier of idiot I have an internal and external siren. The internal is loud. That will get rid of hopefully all but the most insane (drug head). Finally for the last one or two that the loud sound won't drive out then I have my faithful mossberg 590. It is loaded with six rounds of a nice ooo buck. Assuming I'm home. If not I hope they brought a big torch to crack the safe, while the siren blares. I'm just glad I have signs for 98% of those poking around.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

we don't have an alarm system but we have stickers on the doors that says we do,so far,so good!
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I believe the sign would only alert the intruder that he has to cut the phone line before he goes in. The advice I got was, 1. outside lights, 2. dog, 3. alarm. If I don't answer the phone on a false alarm, I'll have LEO's from two agencies here withint five minutes. My personal preference is, 4. Taurus Judge, and Glock 23.
    Last edited by jsunsr; August 10th, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: additions

I have 3 kids, so a gun is the last thing - not the first thing I hope to use. Even if I was single I'd rather not have to resort to a firearm.

With my system, they can cut whatever they want - the alarm is still going off, they can cut the phone line in 100 pieces - cops are still getting a call. ;)

Yea Thunder, kids complicate things. The challenge is to protect them without causing harm. Let me know if you come up with a fool proof way, I'll market it with you!
    Last edited by jsunsr; August 10th, 2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: correction

Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it! :)

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I believe the sign would only alert the intruder that he has to cut the phone line before he goes in. The advice I got was, 1. outside lights, 2. dog, 3. alarm. If I don't answer the phone on a false alarm, I'll have LEO's from two agencies here withint five minutes. My personal preference is, 4. Taurus Judge, and Glock 23.
    That has become an old wives tale. Many systems now have cell back up and phone line monitoring. Cut the line and the alarm is sent via cell and the local alarm goes off. And yes, there is a way to tell when the line is cut vs a phone company drop.

My thinking was always that if you posted signs on your property it alerted thieves that if you had the money for an alarm system, you probably had some pretty nice stuff inside the house.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    My thinking was always that if you posted signs on your property it alerted thieves that if you had the money for an alarm system, you probably had some pretty nice stuff inside the house.
    At half the cost of cable security isn't only for the rich and affluent anymore. Alarm systems on residences are common place. A security sign just means that there's a better chance they'll either get caught or seen neither of which is desirable for a burglar.

Better than any security posters or stickers is a sign at the front & rear doors of the house reading..Trespassers Will Be VIOLATED. Never any problems.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I suggest any of the following signs:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I keep a hearse parked in my driveway. Zero breakins.
    joker1 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    If a burglar knows that you have something they want, they will come in and get it and be gone alarm or no. The typical crack head, snoop and ransack burglar, according to the interviews I have heard is looking for the easy target and really doesn't care if they hit your house or your neighbors. I also hear from these interviews that contrary to popular belief, a dog is a really poor deterrent. If there is a greater potential that you have an alarm increasing their risk, they are more apt to go for the neighbor. We have an alarm and a sign by the front door. Both are for a local company, not one of the national chains. I assume anyone who commits a break-in will cut the phone lines, power and everything, though these days it isn't the magic bullet that it used to be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links