Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

This is a discussion on Home Security System - Sign or No Sign within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a sign that has a .38 pointed outwards rowards the reader, and the sign reads as follows "forget the dog, bewear of owners!". ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

I have a sign that has a .38 pointed outwards rowards the reader, and the sign reads as follows "forget the dog, bewear of owners!". There were robberies before i moved in, after i moved in and sign went up, no more breakins/robberies here!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

It'll keep'em from doing any damage to my home..so yes.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Personally, I think the ADT and Broadview Security signs..... are great signs for "rob me .. rob me" , a victim lives here.
    First, many use the telephone liine to send the signal to them to call any police, etc. ..... so, tells them to cut the phone lines first. Second, it's amazing how many theives know how to get around the alarm systems and are found to have worked for these companies learning how to disarm them, etc. On top of that, by they time they would respond, call you to verify, and call police.... they just added additional steps and time before any police will ever get there. If they know their area, they know what that timing is .... and it's to their advantage over someone who will pick up a cell phone and just call the police.

Around here, there are a lot of fake signs..... they don't have the systems, but have the signs out there. Guess who they rob the most.

It gives a sense of false security and protection. Mine has 2 - 135 DBL horns that go off..... and wake up everyone within 6-8 blocks of my house. That's something a burglar does NOT want to hear. That means the odds are, even if the owner is not home, someone is going to look out the door or their window and ID their car , call police, etc. and problems for their career objectives.

My .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think the signs are a double edged sword. On one hand as Eagleks says, it alerts them to cut the phone lines and tells them what sort of timing they have. They can also set the thing off and then go hide and see if there is an LEO response. If not, they have a pretty good idea that they can rummage without being bothered. On the flip side, having a system is a deterrent. The old adage applies, that you don't need to make your home a fortress, just better than your neighbors. To this end, a system can be a big enhancement. These days cell phone based systems are becoming a lot more prevalent, which eliminates the major weakness to the systems. The would be burglar doesn't know what equipment you have backing it up. I personally, have a system and a sign by a local company, rather than one of the ADT or other national chains. The sign is a single sign by the front door in the flower beds, visible but not obnoxious. While I personally liked the one I read about that says, "we dial .223", I question the wisdom of such statements. I think putting a sign up in either a multilingual sign or one in Ebonics might be a better option.

As an owner of a security company, we give yard signs out as requested by owners for security and CCTV systems.
    They do cut down on the average troubles.

The biggest deterent are the door and window stickers. My grandmother was being hasled in the early AM's to the point she disconnected her door bell. I stopped in with the company vehicle, drank coffee and put a jigsaw puzzle together with her. I then put stickers on each set of windows - never had a problem again (she did not want a system).

As to phonelines - multiple ways to correct that.
    - Move your NID inside, you may need to get approval to do this or may not be allowed altogether. No access to wires outside.
    - Line cut monitors will let you know if you telephone line is cut - some may ring a siren after a delay if you wish. If service does not go out durring storms.. may be a solution.
    - A number of people now get phone service from the cable company - coax not telephone wire. Did they cut the right service?
    - Wireless trasmission of signals - Cellular or radio transmission is available. They can not cut it. Radio is the fastest - signals are passed to the monitoring company in seconds, you will not get to the unit before a signal has been sent.

To each their own. Features should be customised per person and the level of protection required. If a security company wants to put you in a 'cookie cutter' system - ask questions and tell them the level you want to be comfortable with. Including signage.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    we don't have an alarm system but we have stickers on the doors that says we do,so far,so good!
    So do we...

They look official, in fact, ADT sales people were going through the neighborhood and commented about me already having an alarm.
    I let them think that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't have a sign either. I've thought about it, but I'd rather have one with a picture of a gun that says "beware of owner."

I don't really have a real alarm system anyway. I just have those little cheap door/window alarms that will make a heck of a noise if the door/window is opened. The primary goal of the devices are to wake me up at night in case somebody manages to get in. Since I've re-enforced all my doors, they'd probably make a heck of a noise trying to break in before the alarm even goes off. But should they succeed and get inside, the alarm is ear-piercing. The intruder might pause and think about what he's doing. He'll know I'm awake. He might think the police are being called too.

I'm not sure what the advantage is to a central alarm system. They police typically don't respond to them, and even if they do it is hours later.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    I have a sign that has a .38 pointed outwards rowards the reader, and the sign reads as follows "forget the dog, bewear of owners!". There were robberies before i moved in, after i moved in and sign went up, no more breakins/robberies here!
    Which just advertises that your home is one place they might go to steal guns.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I think the sign is a useful deterrent, we have one in our yard and haven't had any issues with break-ins. Of course, any knowledgeable thief would know that any monitored homes in our neighborhood are wired directly to the police department. Alarm sounds and our PD rolls a unit to the house before even calling to check if its a false alarm.

The problem that we did have however, was thieves walking up and down our street looking for unlocked car doors. If they found one they would empty anything of any value from the car. We took care of that problem with motion activated flood lights and a surveillance system. The bonus is that the cameras have my teenage daughter freaked out -- she hasn't missed curfew once since we installed them. LOL
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

JL
    I am sort of in the middle. We have stickers on the windows and doors, and a sign post at the rear of the house which is the main egress point. There is nothing visable from the street to indicate we have an alarm system.

cellular

A friend had their telephone line cut so the alarm could not call monitoring. Having a cellular backup dialer is important. So that may be a consideration as to whether you have a sign.

• Sign in front and on fence gate. Decals on ground level windows.
    • 5 IR cameras.
    • 3 dogs.
    • Reinforced door casings/locks.

Deterrent? Invitation? It is until it isn't or perhaps it isn't until it is.

Regardless, these are simply tools. I've done this not to protect "things", but to give me time to react if I'm home. Old guys like me need every advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Which just advertises that your home is one place they might go to steal guns.
    couldn't agree more...............
    same goes for weapon-related stickers and bumper stickers on cars, backpacks, hats, etc
    why advertise?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I put in my own wireless system which contacts my cell and backup is stored off site

"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links