Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

This is a discussion on Home Security System - Sign or No Sign within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a sign and 2 dummy cameras.. In my garages I have those cheap motion detector lights/sirens from Harbor Freight, very loud and should ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

I have a sign and 2 dummy cameras.. In my garages I have those cheap motion detector lights/sirens from Harbor Freight, very loud and should scare someone off. I also a couple driveway monitors around my property to alert me when something 2 1/2 feet or higher cross the line. Sometimes it will go off and it will be a deer!

2. Remove Ads

I have two signs, one in front of the house, on the street one on the front of the garage and small white stickers about 3" squareon the doors. Also I have a basment window which is partially hidden. Last summer I found the screen pulled out lying on the ground about 10 ft. away. Whoever got by the screen could not get by the bars I put there.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson. Always remember our military. Me

Doesn't hurt to have a sign. It will deter an unsophisticated robber (not one methed up) and will probably not stop an expert. By that I mean if they know about the alarm system, they will have the confidence and knowledge on how to defeat it. If not sure, they would move on.
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Doesn't hurt to have a sign. It will deter an unsophisticated robber (not one methed up) and will probably not stop an expert. By that I mean if they know about the alarm system, they will have the confidence and knowledge on how to defeat it. If not sure, they would move on.
    Yep......

VIP Member
    Get yourself a nice booby trap if you live alone in the house. Just kidding but it would stop them.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Most security devices, including an alarm system won't stop someone who knows what they are after and is planning to grab it and get gone. What it might do is stop the one who goes through and rummages through everything looking for stuff to take. I once heard an interview with a former (?) burglar who said that they would size up a home based upon it's neighborhood and make an assumption that you had to be storing cash in the house somewhere. They claimed that if they found this cash, they would assume they got your stash and leave. If they didn't find anything, they would continue to search, using increasing levels of destruction until they found it or became concerned about having been there too long.

Personally, I like the boobytrap idea, illegal or not, because its one of those times when you really care to send them the very best.

I have 2 signs and 4 Video Cameras that cover everything into my home unless you are a Para-Trooper coming in from above. I find you in my home and you are dead. Georgia with Castle no retreat law. Can't see the signs out front, get ready to meet your maker! I already have enough insurance to defend your "My Boy Got Into the wrong Group Issue" which is Looser Pays, which means that I will own what is left of your 50 year old home after this and how many Wide-Screen TV's are in it. The last thing is that all double locks into my home are locked on both sides which means that if you came thru a window, you will also have to go out thru a window as the doors don't come open from the inside either. How dumb do they have to be! And the alarm company has already texted me so I can arrive before the Police to "Cover The House" for whatever may get out....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links