Defensive Carry banner

Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

16K views 66 replies 53 participants last post by  Blue Thunder 
#1 ·
For those who have a home security system (and those who have an opinion on this matter) do/would you display the sign notifying people that you have a home security system?

I can see a couple sides to this:

1. It's a deterrent, they will pick the next house.
2. It's a challenge, and now that they know - they are one step ahead.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I have ADT signs about.

Yes, it's one of the more popular, hence common security monitoring systems, but each home is custom configured. The intruder can try to guess what I'm using and where I'm using it, but I'm guessing that they are more likely to pick a softer target.

#3 ·
Tough, I think of a security system as a deterrent so I would prob go sign. Unless I have some neato cage that drops down and catches the BG, then no sign. Do you think this can be similar to the tought of open carry, i.e. deterrent v surprise?

Sign

Reactions: Chevyguy85
#7 ·
Tough, I think of a security system as a deterrent so I would prob go sign. Unless I have some neato cage that drops down and catches the BG, then no sign...
But you'd better have a freezer big enough for the caged items AND that side of beef you bought!

...Do you think this can be similar to the tought of open carry, i.e. deterrent v surprise?

Sign
I'd think dissuading the thief from stepping on your property would be a primary goal. Otherwise, you're just cleaning up the mess after they've been caged. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I agree with number 1 and see your point on number 2. I think that by time the monitoring company calls you, calls police, dispatcher dispatches, officer arrives they could be long gone. About the only good they do is try to deter people who aren't up for the challenge and maybe save you some insurance money. I used to have one at my old house and have been approached by 2 different companies in the 2 years that I've been at the new place. I wish there was something foolproof (other than sitting there wide awake 24/7 with an arsenal nearby, but there just isn't. Criminals always seem to adapt and figure out a way.

#8 ·
My home is posted... Does it detour, or initiate a break-in :dunno:

All I know is that if I was a robber it would cause me to go to another house... On a side note; When I used to live in apartments years ago. I had one of those gadgets called "The Club" installed on my steering wheel. IT was winter time and the next morning the car next to me had it's window smashed out and his stereo stolen. When I went to go get in my car and leave I noticed that someone had wiped their hand across my window to see what was in it. I had a nice car back in the day and a pretty good sound system to boot. All I could think was that the jerks ripping off stuff from the cars figured that if I had "The Club" I probably had an alarm as well; they/he was right. So I guess these measures can be somewhat of a deterrent.

#9 ·
I believe that the signs are a minimal deterrant. They can help, or hurt, but in the end I doubt the make much of a difference. Other measures are more meaningful.

The numbers prove that dogs make a better deterrant. Especially loud ones that like to bark. Size does not matter, the amount of bark does though. People hate barking dogs, and will call the police if they bark for more than a minute or two at night.

The biggest no no with dogs is keeping them outside. Dogs kept outside can be "dealt" with easily, and are an exception to the rule.

#10 ·
Dogs are good!! My neighborhood is desensitized to the bark as there are dogs all over that bark constantly. Like a car alarm, nobody really pays attention to them except to think, "when are they going to turn that FN alarm off?!"

#11 ·
Yep, I have two signs with my alarm system as a deterrent in hopes the BG will chose another victim. A professional burglar would find an ADT monitoring system a minor inconvenience. I hope to discourage the crack heads and go elsewhere. Save 5% on our home owners insurance. The smoke detector went off awhile back due to the wifes cooking. Took ADT 25 minutes to call us. Living in the country, by the time ADT calls and no answer, and the Sheriff gets here, the BG is limited to a couple of hours to pillage. That's why I have back up plans...

#12 ·
I doubt a sign would deter a pro, but if it shies off the punk kids who decide to see what they can score, it worth it.

#14 ·
I use the signs as the stats I was shown said most breakins were a crime of opportunity so the alarm would push them to move on down the road. My system is from a small, private firm. The monitoring agent takes seconds to call us when I test it. Has a built in panic mode that they automatically send help then call. My problem may be how long it will take a deputy to get to my rural location.

#15 ·
One of the biggest deterrents to brake-ins is an alarm sign. Sure it may not dissuade a pro but you have to ask yourself, why would a pro pick your house? By definition, a pro will be picking a target based on a chance of significant gain with minimal risks and planning how to maximize his gains. They wouldn't just pick random houses and decide if the house with the alarm may be a better target than one without.

Signs have been proven to work by interviews with the burglars themselves and an overwhelming majority will bypass a house with signs for one without.

#18 ·
Yep agree with NC Bullseye. I have watched those shows where they interview burglars and they say there are to many easy homes to get into so why mess with a home that may get them caught.

I have signs and I am confident it will deter most. For the next tier of idiot I have an internal and external siren. The internal is loud. That will get rid of hopefully all but the most insane (drug head). Finally for the last one or two that the loud sound won't drive out then I have my faithful mossberg 590. It is loaded with six rounds of a nice ooo buck. Assuming I'm home. If not I hope they brought a big torch to crack the safe, while the siren blares. I'm just glad I have signs for 98% of those poking around.

#51 ·
So do we...

They look official, in fact, ADT sales people were going through the neighborhood and commented about me already having an alarm.
I let them think that...:yup:

#20 · (Edited)
I believe the sign would only alert the intruder that he has to cut the phone line before he goes in. The advice I got was, 1. outside lights, 2. dog, 3. alarm. If I don't answer the phone on a false alarm, I'll have LEO's from two agencies here withint five minutes. My personal preference is, 4. Taurus Judge, and Glock 23.

#24 ·
That has become an old wives tale. Many systems now have cell back up and phone line monitoring. Cut the line and the alarm is sent via cell and the local alarm goes off. And yes, there is a way to tell when the line is cut vs a phone company drop.

#21 ·
I have 3 kids, so a gun is the last thing - not the first thing I hope to use. Even if I was single I'd rather not have to resort to a firearm.

With my system, they can cut whatever they want - the alarm is still going off, they can cut the phone line in 100 pieces - cops are still getting a call. ;)

#26 ·
At half the cost of cable security isn't only for the rich and affluent anymore. Alarm systems on residences are common place. A security sign just means that there's a better chance they'll either get caught or seen neither of which is desirable for a burglar.

#30 ·
If a burglar knows that you have something they want, they will come in and get it and be gone alarm or no. The typical crack head, snoop and ransack burglar, according to the interviews I have heard is looking for the easy target and really doesn't care if they hit your house or your neighbors. I also hear from these interviews that contrary to popular belief, a dog is a really poor deterrent. If there is a greater potential that you have an alarm increasing their risk, they are more apt to go for the neighbor. We have an alarm and a sign by the front door. Both are for a local company, not one of the national chains. I assume anyone who commits a break-in will cut the phone lines, power and everything, though these days it isn't the magic bullet that it used to be.

#31 ·
I think that a dog is a great theft deterrent, but only as long as you have the right dog breed (German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Pit Bull, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Dogo Argentino, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or Fila Brasileiro), the dog is accompanied with a good alarm system and home defense firearm and the dog is trained not to eat foods given by strangers so that he is not poisoned (this can be easily achieved with a shock collar training program). A good guard dog will not only alert you when there are intruders in the perimeter of your home, but it will also attack intruders when they invade your perimeter and will act as a deterrent to a home invasion. Just make sure that you take the necessary precautions for the safety of your children, the neighborhood children and the poor old mail man.

At my home in Costa Rica, I have a German Shepherd, an ADT Security System (sign at front door), a CCTV system with 5 cameras connected to my TV (front door, back door, front yard, back yard and garage), perimeter sensors in the back yard, reinforced entry doors and frames, Mul-T-Lock door locks (front and back doors), security window protection films on all windows, a 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 shotgun loaded with 00 Buckshot and an HK 45 pistol loaded with Remington Golden Saber JHP. It may seem that I am paranoid, but as a matter of fact I did this when my wife's family had a VERY bad home invasion where the burglars came in, tied my sister in law and her grandmother and proceeded to loot the entire home. This opened my eyes to the fact that a home invasion can happen when you least expect it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.