Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

This is a discussion on Home Security System - Sign or No Sign within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those who have a home security system (and those who have an opinion on this matter) do/would you display the sign notifying people that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

Home Security System - Sign or No Sign

For those who have a home security system (and those who have an opinion on this matter) do/would you display the sign notifying people that you have a home security system?

I can see a couple sides to this:

1. It's a deterrent, they will pick the next house.
    2. It's a challenge, and now that they know - they are one step ahead.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have ADT signs about.

Yes, it's one of the more popular, hence common security monitoring systems, but each home is custom configured. The intruder can try to guess what I'm using and where I'm using it, but I'm guessing that they are more likely to pick a softer target.

Tough, I think of a security system as a deterrent so I would prob go sign. Unless I have some neato cage that drops down and catches the BG, then no sign. Do you think this can be similar to the tought of open carry, i.e. deterrent v surprise?

Sign
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I agree with number 1 and see your point on number 2. I think that by time the monitoring company calls you, calls police, dispatcher dispatches, officer arrives they could be long gone. About the only good they do is try to deter people who aren't up for the challenge and maybe save you some insurance money. I used to have one at my old house and have been approached by 2 different companies in the 2 years that I've been at the new place. I wish there was something foolproof (other than sitting there wide awake 24/7 with an arsenal nearby, but there just isn't. Criminals always seem to adapt and figure out a way.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I agree with number 1 and see your point on number 2. I think that by time the monitoring company calls you, calls police, dispatcher dispatches, officer arrives they could be long gone. About the only good they do is try to deter people who aren't up for the challenge and maybe save you some insurance money. I used to have one at my old house and have been approached by 2 different companies in the 2 years that I've been at the new place. I wish there was something foolproof (other than sitting there wide awake 24/7 with an arsenal nearby, but there just isn't. Criminals always seem to adapt and figure out a way.
    Like bacteria or disease
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

babarock likes this.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Tough, I think of a security system as a deterrent so I would prob go sign. Unless I have some neato cage that drops down and catches the BG, then no sign...
    But you'd better have a freezer big enough for the caged items AND that side of beef you bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    ...Do you think this can be similar to the tought of open carry, i.e. deterrent v surprise?

Sign
    I'd think dissuading the thief from stepping on your property would be a primary goal. Otherwise, you're just cleaning up the mess after they've been caged.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

My home is posted... Does it detour, or initiate a break-in

All I know is that if I was a robber it would cause me to go to another house... On a side note; When I used to live in apartments years ago. I had one of those gadgets called "The Club" installed on my steering wheel. IT was winter time and the next morning the car next to me had it's window smashed out and his stereo stolen. When I went to go get in my car and leave I noticed that someone had wiped their hand across my window to see what was in it. I had a nice car back in the day and a pretty good sound system to boot. All I could think was that the jerks ripping off stuff from the cars figured that if I had "The Club" I probably had an alarm as well; they/he was right. So I guess these measures can be somewhat of a deterrent.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I believe that the signs are a minimal deterrant. They can help, or hurt, but in the end I doubt the make much of a difference. Other measures are more meaningful.

The numbers prove that dogs make a better deterrant. Especially loud ones that like to bark. Size does not matter, the amount of bark does though. People hate barking dogs, and will call the police if they bark for more than a minute or two at night.

The biggest no no with dogs is keeping them outside. Dogs kept outside can be "dealt" with easily, and are an exception to the rule.
    Justified likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I believe that the signs are a minimal deterrant. They can help, or hurt, but in the end I doubt the make much of a difference. Other measures are more meaningful.

The numbers prove that dogs make a better deterrant. Especially loud ones that like to bark. Size does not matter, the amount of bark does though. People hate barking dogs, and will call the police if they bark for more than a minute or two at night.

The biggest no no with dogs is keeping them outside. Dogs kept outside can be "dealt" with easily, and are an exception to the rule.
    Dogs are good!! My neighborhood is desensitized to the bark as there are dogs all over that bark constantly. Like a car alarm, nobody really pays attention to them except to think, "when are they going to turn that FN alarm off?!"
    - George Orwell Military

Yep, I have two signs with my alarm system as a deterrent in hopes the BG will chose another victim. A professional burglar would find an ADT monitoring system a minor inconvenience. I hope to discourage the crack heads and go elsewhere. Save 5% on our home owners insurance. The smoke detector went off awhile back due to the wifes cooking. Took ADT 25 minutes to call us. Living in the country, by the time ADT calls and no answer, and the Sheriff gets here, the BG is limited to a couple of hours to pillage. That's why I have back up plans...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt a sign would deter a pro, but if it shies off the punk kids who decide to see what they can score, it worth it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ours is very fast... (not reliant on a phone service), so once the ping goes they are calling within seconds.

Guess I'll leave the signs up.

Thanks for all the input!

I use the signs as the stats I was shown said most breakins were a crime of opportunity so the alarm would push them to move on down the road. My system is from a small, private firm. The monitoring agent takes seconds to call us when I test it. Has a built in panic mode that they automatically send help then call. My problem may be how long it will take a deputy to get to my rural location.

One of the biggest deterrents to brake-ins is an alarm sign. Sure it may not dissuade a pro but you have to ask yourself, why would a pro pick your house? By definition, a pro will be picking a target based on a chance of significant gain with minimal risks and planning how to maximize his gains. They wouldn't just pick random houses and decide if the house with the alarm may be a better target than one without.

Signs have been proven to work by interviews with the burglars themselves and an overwhelming majority will bypass a house with signs for one without.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links