Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog

This is a discussion on Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Stubborn Good for him...as it should be. It was a STRAY, get over it. This next sentence will probably bring the "wrath ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Good for him...as it should be. It was a STRAY, get over it. This next sentence will probably bring the "wrath of dog lovers" down on me , but here goes...
    animals are just that, animals, they are not people...they do not have any rights.
    Animal rights & biscuits!!

"Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    He said his concern was for the kids playing nearby, which is understandable. Him going into the house and getting his gun wasn't for his protection, but theirs. The dog went after his leg, was a stray, and in my opinion, died a much better death than getting locked up for who knows how long.

Nobody was hurt, a stray pitbull with an attitude is dead - good.
    This is the dog of choice for the trailer trash in the sunshine state .

Great job by this guy

According to his neighbours they have animal control where they are.
    Nothing happen because he was available to go in the house. If it had been some thug, would he be justified going in the house to get a gun an come back out to shoot someone on the sidewalk?
    And for it being on his property, from where he pointed does not look like it was still on his property
    Everyone see people that they assume to be thugs would it be justified to just shoot them cause the opportunity is there? no!
    There is no sense waiting for something to happen i agree but you nor myself was there to call it thats why I was speaking about what i would have personnally done.

Comparing a dog to a person now? Interesting, the plot builds.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Comparing a dog to a person now? Interesting, the plot builds.
    (In my best Taylor-tucky accent) Com' on mannn, ain't you never heard of animal "rights"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Good for him...as it should be. It was a STRAY, get over it. This next sentence will probably bring the "wrath of dog lovers" down on me , but here goes...
    animals are just that, animals, they are not people...they do not have any rights.
    Not yet anyway but, the United States Humane Society (USHS) and the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are constantly trying to submit legislation giving "animals" the same rights as humans.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Not yet anyway but, the United States Humane Society (USHS) and the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are constantly trying to submit legislation giving "animals" the same rights as humans.
    I know it! It's insane. I remember, here in Florida about a year and a half ago, it was on the evening news. There was a kitten stuck in a storm drain, the fire dept. including a paramedic unit responded, along with law enforcement, eventually called a city road crew, who came out and jack-hammered up part of the sidewalk to open the storm drain to get the kitten out. I realize a kitten story gives everyone a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.
    But when you stop and realize that there were tens of thousands of tax dollars spent to save this kitten.
    Which turned out apparently to be a stray...it went to the animal shelter after it's rescue. It is completely absurd, when we don't have enough money to pay our teachers properly, and there are PEOPLE not animals that go to bed hungry each night right here in this country and we waste that much money on one cat.
    I just don't get it. Like I always say, common sense isn't very common anymore.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    It would only happen one time for each animal in my yard.
    Ever since last year, I am 100% in agreeance. (What the heck... Agreeance isn't a word in my spell-check? Really? I mean... agreement is kind of the same thing, but not exactly in usage...)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandp229 View Post
    I personnally would have called animal control if I was allowed to go inside to get a weapon i would make the call its their job to valuate the situation if the dog needed to be put down that way, does this mean that once a dog or any animal for that matter comes on to your property is ground to shoot it. cant see the threat issue here because he was able to go inside the house and kids were outside playing as well. But taking his age into concideration and condition (in Wheel chair) it might be justifiable.

^^^^^^^^^Enough already with the bleeting hearts, for cripes sake.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The guy did what most people would not have, then they would have said , after it ripped the throat out of a small child playing, "jeezzz, animal control should have done something"

Have you ever noticed how nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There's an interesting situation unfolding right now in Everett, WA about a guy who shot and killed a pit bull that had threatened his daughter, and then backed him up against the wall of his house, on his property. You guys can probably figure how the reader feedback debate is going in the local newspapers.

I wrote about it here and it's probably going to get me skewered by WA dog lovers.

I occasionally take walks down my road and almost always take a pistol along. Recently when I didn't, however, a pit bull that was in somebody's yard came at me, but it seemed to follow commands well enough that it responded immediately to the owner.

What if the owner hadn't been there? I did have my Spyderco, but....

Self-defense doesn't always mean "against criminals." At least where I live, it also covers defending one's self against an animal (bear, cougar, dangerous dog...) and that's good.

One cannot "imagine" a dog attack, so I fully sympathize with this guy. Years ago I was attacked by a dog owned by a jerk who didn't seem to care the animal ripped my jacket pretty bad. Fortunately, that's all that got ripped. When one is confined to a wheelchair, one is definitely at a disadvantage in any kind of self-defense situation.
    Last edited by DaveWorkman; August 18th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
    HotGuns likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links