Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog

This is a discussion on Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Besides poor trigger (finger) discipline, what do you all think? A wheelchair-bound 70-year-old man says he shot a stray pit bull in self-defense...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Wheelchair bound man shoots/kills dog

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Besides poor trigger (finger) discipline, what do you all think?

A wheelchair-bound 70-year-old man says he shot a stray pit bull in self-defense

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    If a beloved family pet can turn on its owner, you'd be a fool to think a stray can't turn on a stranger. I love dogs, but they're still dogs.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

About his finger on the trigger... I give him a pass because he's talking to reporters

If he was already safely inside he should have called animal control. I'd have no problem with it if he hadn't gone inside to get his gun first.
    Just about any dog can be dangerous, but he was already out of harms way. Was there any history of complaints about these dogs that had not been addressed?
    Should he have taken this into his own hands with no imediate threat?

Senior Moderator
    It came after me, and then it came after my wife here on the porch,” Rye told Action News.
    “He came after me, and my prosthetic leg, so I shot him,” Rye said.
    Taylor police did not arrest Rye and did not confiscate any of his guns.
    The dog has not been claimed by anyone. We’re told it was a stray
    Sounds like a good shoot to me. The cops thought so too.

As for the neighbors squalling like mashed cats... they would cry like babies right up until it happened to them, then they'd be screaming bloody murder.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote from the reporter "weren't you afraid that one of the bullets would hit the children!?"

I hate reporters.
    jwhite75 and swiftyjuan like this.

Pit Bulls can be good dogs, but you can't let them or any big dog run the streets. Especially when there's more than one, they stop being pets and start getting the pack mentality.

I've had it up to my ears with strays and pets that come into my yard and charge at me or someone else in my household in a pseudo or real attack mode. It's happened more times than I can count. I don't blame this guy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I've had it up to my ears with strays and pets that come into my yard and charge at me or someone else in my household in a pseudo or real attack mode. It's happened more times than I can count. I don't blame this guy at all.
    It would only happen one time for each animal in my yard.
    Lotus222 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    “He went inside the house, so why couldn’t he have just stayed in the house and called animal control,” said Richard Lempicki who said he saw the shooting go down.
    Even with a 'stand your ground' statute (which I belive MI has), he went in his house to get a gun & then came out again. I don't see that as an act of defense of anyone...or am I missing something?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Taylor police did not arrest Rye and did not confiscate any of his guns.

The dog has not been claimed by anyone. We’re told it was a stray.
    Good for him...as it should be. It was a STRAY, get over it. This next sentence will probably bring the "wrath of dog lovers" down on me , but here goes...
    animals are just that, animals, they are not people...they do not have any rights.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    He said his concern was for the kids playing nearby, which is understandable. Him going into the house and getting his gun wasn't for his protection, but theirs. The dog went after his leg, was a stray, and in my opinion, died a much better death than getting locked up for who knows how long.

Nobody was hurt, a stray pitbull with an attitude is dead - good.

OD*
    He shot and killed what appeared to be a pit bull.
    Nobody believes reporters to be weapon experts, what makes anyone think they're experts on K9s?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    People around these parts affectionately (?) refer to Taylor, MI as "Taylor-tucky", which is why it kinda' surprises me that this guy's neighbors are giving him so much guff. Rest assured that if one of those stray dogs were to have attacked or turned on one of those kids, this guy would've been a hero to them. Obviously, the local PD/LEO felt he did the right thing, as do I.

Any of you Glock devotees are welcomed to help me out here. According to the report, he's got multiple guns and it appears that he had the time to pick/choose the one he's most comfortable with which looks like a Glock 23 (?) loaded with JHP 40's. Is that correct? Took him 2 rounds to put the dog down, and 1 (coup d' gras) round to put it out of its misery. Makes you wonder where he placed the first and second rounds.

I personnally would have called animal control if I was allowed to go inside to get a weapon i would make the call its their job to valuate the situation if the dog needed to be put down that way, does this mean that once a dog or any animal for that matter comes on to your property is ground to shoot it. cant see the threat issue here because he was able to go inside the house and kids were outside playing as well. But taking his age into concideration and condition (in Wheel chair) it might be justifiable.

Senior Moderator
    I personnally would have called animal control if I was allowed to go inside to get a weapon i would make the call its their job to valuate the situation

Most places do not have animal control.

if the dog needed to be put down that way, does this mean that once a dog or any animal for that matter comes on to your property is ground to shoot i
    Where I live it is perfectly legal to shoot any animal that does not belong on your property.

cant see the threat issue here because he was able to go inside the house and kids were outside playing as well.
    The threat issue is that it would have occurred again..perhaps with a kid.

But taking his age into concideration and condition (in Wheel chair) it might be justifiable.
    Age has nothing to do with it.

Common sense does.

He did what he needed to do and he did it while there was opportunity. There is no sense in waiting for someone to be maimed or possibily killed. The dog was a stray, there was no one to be held accountable for it.
    Rock and Glock and oneshot like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links