Help with home security system!

This is a discussion on Help with home security system! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought a new house and want to install a home security system. It will need to be wireless (no land line). I've looked at ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Brady
  • 1 Post By macg19
  • 1 Post By Doodle

Thread: Help with home security system!

Just bought a new house and want to install a home security system. It will need to be wireless (no land line). I've looked at protect America and front point security. Does anyone have any recommendations? Your help is much appreciated!

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Please make sure your system has a battery backup in case the BG`s cut the power!!!. I have Safe Touch,never a problem.

Get an aggressive, but family friendly canine (along with your other planned system). He'll be worth his weight in protection to your home.
    Doodle likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    ADT works well.A couple of tips though,the basic system does not have many features,we upgraded to a better one.Next,I told the salesman in a direct manner,do not send any young,new guys to install my system,I will send them packing.They sent a man in his early 60's who had been installing over 30 years.I watched him and he was really a pro.Interesting,his cell phone rang every few minutes with calls from novice co-workers who needed help,those guys I warned the sales rep not to send my way.He told them he would come help as soon as he finished my job,he did not hurry though,he was a pro.The point is,you pay money for this,your house is not a training school.Demand the best.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've been very happy with my ADT system (7 years) but it's on a land line. I'm sure they probably have a wireless system too. Agreed about a battery back-up.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've been very happy with my ADT system (7 years) but it's on a land line. I'm sure they probably have a wireless system too. Agreed about a battery back-up.
    ADT 5 years, works as advertised, break in and fire monitoring, wireless sensors, land line + cellular back up and battery back up but does not last long + the cable phone is on a back up as well, so without power I have about an hour of cable and 3 hours on the alarm itself, without rigging some recharging device. I got a bunch of extra door sensors, glass break sensors and motion detectors, way more than the standard package. Because I bought so much extra had them throw in 5 metal signs (3 for me and 1 each for the neighbors) and about 25 stickers. The alarm itself is REALLY loud. One thing I really like is the NIGHT STAY feature - NIGHT STAY is a 3rd mode, different than AWAY and STAY and some techs won't even know this feature exists. You can program the system to arm specified sensors to go off instantly while you are in the house - we dont have kids. (and use normal STAY when you have guests for example). Also set up a silent panic PIN and a distress code word. My only issue is that when the alarm goes off it takes 45 seconds to initiate the call to ADT monitoring, then they call the house, then if no one answers they call your cell phone (unless you choose not to provide it), then they call the cops/FD.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    ADT 5 years, works as advertised, break in and fire monitoring, wireless sensors, land line + cellular back up and battery back up but does not last long + the cable phone is on a back up as well, so without power I have about an hour of cable and 3 hours on the alarm itself, without rigging some recharging device. I got a bunch of extra door sensors, glass break sensors and motion detectors, way more than the standard package. Because I bought so much extra had them throw in 5 metal signs (3 for me and 1 each for the neighbors) and about 25 stickers. The alarm itself is REALLY loud. One thing I really like is the NIGHT STAY feature - NIGHT STAY is a 3rd mode, different than AWAY and STAY and some techs won't even know this feature exists. You can program the system to arm specified sensors to go off instantly while you are in the house - we dont have kids. (and use normal STAY when you have guests for example). Also set up a silent panic PIN and a distress code word. My only issue is that when the alarm goes off it takes 45 seconds to initiate the call to ADT monitoring, then they call the house, then if no one answers they call your cell phone (unless you choose not to provide it), then they call the cops/FD.

LOUD,you are so correct.We have a button labeled instant.So guess who let the dogs out twice,(early morning) and forgot the alarm? Stuart of course!Wow,talk about a wake up!I doubt anyone could stand it for too long.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Check with your electric power company.

I was surprised to learn that our Electric Cooperative is now offering a security system. If we didn't already have ADT, I'd be checking out theirs.

Let someone install it, DON'T do it your self. I did and it works well but holy pain in the butt batman. Mine does use mobile signal and battery backup and I agree this is the only way to go.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Look up simplisafe.com , Recommended by Clark Howard, and might be the wireless system you are looking for. I'm putting in an order Monday.

We stopped using ADT for 2 reasons (this is my own personal reason, and is not to say they aren't a good company, I just found that "local" companies use local monitoring, respond faster, charge less to install (get quotes from 2 or 3 companies), and we recently had an issue in town where ADT sold their equipment to several "companies" around georigia that installed the systems incorrectly, and the companies used unscrupulous tactics to get into customer's homes. They also came to our house constantly. Their systems (based on what our installer told us ) wait 60 seconds to send an alarm signal to "prevent false alarms" I was disappointed with this and the fact ADT allowed these shady companies to install their equipment (more often than not incorrectly) in return for signed monitoring contracts, and how expensive their new monthly fees were to update our system, after I called a more trusted dealer in the area). We still had a cheaper rate, since we were existing customers, but after having ADT for 9 years, we chose columbus fire and safety. Two websites I know of that offer DIY wireless systems are safemart.com, and they offer monitoring for 9.95/month if paid yearly. There's also homesecuritystore.com. After looking at the systems, we decided to pay to have ours installed, but you can look and see what you decide. Get a backup battery, cell backup, and an exterior siren so the whole block can hear it when it goes off. monitoring fees can add up, so check on that too with the companies you call. Local companies can be very competitive. Good luck!

be sure to ask the company, if you decide to have a company install (which i recommend) how long their systems wait to send a signal. Columbus Fire and Safety, sends it's signal immmediately, and ask what their central station response time is. For CFS, it's 13-20 seconds. Time is critical during burglary/fire/medical. We accidentally set off our alarm once. before I could get the alarm off, they were already calling the house to verify the alarm.

I ran PA 5 years in a part-time home with success. Good equipment from what I new, easy to install and trouble shoot. Price was good.

Links