Storing a gun in a crawl space/attic

This is a discussion on Storing a gun in a crawl space/attic within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Costco had a GunVault dealer at a "safety" expo and he was selling this vault for $72 so I picked up two. The plan is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Storing a gun in a crawl space/attic

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Storing a gun in a crawl space/attic

Costco had a GunVault dealer at a "safety" expo and he was selling this vault for $72 so I picked up two. The plan is to hide it away in like my crawl space or attic in case something bad happens and someone confiscates/steals my guns. At least I will have something immediately available.

Is there any issue with storing a gun in this type of safe in the attic or crawl space that I should be aware of? Oh ya, I guess I will have to buy a new gun to put in the safe.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Moisture. Seal it up well with some good desiccant.

If it's in a space no one could find, why the gun vault?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Costco had a GunVault dealer at a "safety" expo and he was selling this vault for $72 so I picked up two. The plan is to hide it away in like my crawl space or attic in case something bad happens and someone confiscates/steals my guns. At least I will have something immediately available.

Is there any issue with storing a gun in this type of safe in the attic or crawl space that I should be aware of? Oh ya, I guess I will have to buy a new gun to put in the safe.
    I've never seen a crawl space that was secure. Most of them just have a plywood door with maybe a padlock on it. I can just imagine somebody snapping the lock hoping to find a few tools, a weedeater, and maybe a lawnmower to pawn for some quick cash.....and lo and behold there's a gun safe!!!!

Storage in an attic might be OK, but I'd worry about heat in the summer. If I wanted a gun where I was pretty sure that nobody would steal it or get to it to confiscate it, I'd slip it in my safe deposit box at the bank. It takes two keys to access the box. I can view the contents in private. It's plenty big enough to hold a pistol or two. The rent's cheap and it's about as secure a location as you are going to get. Obviously you sacrifice something in accessibility, but nothing is perfect.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Well, it ain't like guns never been stored in an attic before.

Like Tzadik said, keep it dry with a desiccant included.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You might think of making a hiding spot some where in the wall and using a wall safe well attached to the house or garage.

VIP Member
    Here is a book that has suggestions on how to hide almost anything in plain sight. Personally we have some built in bookcases, one has a false bottom that when lifted up will reveal two 1911s and 400 rounds of ammo you just have to know which one to look under.

Amazon.com: How To Hide Anything (9780873642897): Michael Connor: Books
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Perhaps something like this...

Vapor Barrier Anti-Corrosion Firearm Storage & Preservation Bags - ZCORR Products

Would probably be a good way to store a gun in your attic long term. If those bags you could probably also hide them in the insulation in the attic/crawlspace.

Not my idea but I read about a guy that cut a hole in the drywall. He placed cardboard or paper over the hole, then put texture over the cover and painted to match. His setup was next to his front door. He could then have access to a completly hidden weapon concealed in plain sight.

I like 6"pvc...glued cap on one end..glued but threaded fittings on other..wrap/bag/lube your stash (consider including flashlight)..just before you seal it for "storage" cook off a book of matches that will burn up available O2...when its safe to move..bury it, put it in the garage,under the sink,under the house in the floor joist,behind the washing machine...next to the vent pipe in the attic, hell make it look like the vent pipe in the attic...or move outta Miami..
    just sayn, Doug
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Perhaps something like this...

Vapor Barrier Anti-Corrosion Firearm Storage & Preservation Bags - ZCORR Products

Would probably be a good way to store a gun in your attic long term. If those bags you could probably also hide them in the insulation in the attic/crawlspace.

+1 I've been looking at those bags. Not a bad idea to secure a couple of guns away from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, it ain't like guns never been stored in an attic before.

Like Tzadik said, keep it dry with a desiccant included.
    You are correct, of course. I was just thinking that plastic or wooden grips might warp if the attic was hot enough. But they are your guns. You can bury them in your backyard for all I care.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If I wanted a gun where I was pretty sure that nobody would steal it or get to it to confiscate it, I'd slip it in my safe deposit box at the bank.
    Except in NC where it's unlawful to carry a gun into a bank. It would make it uncomfortable for the criminals for law abiding citizens to be armed. I don't believe it's a federal law, since I've read on here where some banks in other states even have signage out encouraging carry in their bank.

Make sure you know the law in your jurisdiction.

I'd take a serious look at msgt's comment:

Personally we have some built in bookcases, one has a false bottom
    You can hide anything, anywhere. An attic or crawlspace has the unfortunate problem of being inaccessible in a moment of urgent need. Far better to have your weapons where you can get at them. If hiding them is the problem, don't think about difficulty of access, think about ease of access.

The NRA sells a mantel clock with a false face that can store a 1911. You can hollow out a large book. You can fix a bracket under a countertop or behind a drawer. You can make a false bottom for a chest - you only need an inch or two of space. I'd rather have my weapons in some spot I could get to them in a pinch, because ya never know.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    Except in NC where it's unlawful to carry a gun into a bank. It would make it uncomfortable for the criminals for law abiding citizens to be armed. I don't believe it's a federal law, since I've read on here where some banks in other states even have signage out encouraging carry in their bank.

Make sure you know the law in your jurisdiction.
    Fortunately, my state doesn't have a law like that. Individual banks may post if they so choose. Mine doesn't. I've not stored a gun in the deposit box yet, but I've thought about it. My thoughts are primarily the safe queen that rarely sees the light of day just in case the house catches fire when I'm not there or whatever. Having a gun and a couple of mags available at another location might not be a bad idea. You probably wouldn't be able to keep ammo in the box though. I'll have to check, but I'll bet there's a rule about that somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links