Considering Purchasing a couple of driveway intruder detectors

This is a discussion on Considering Purchasing a couple of driveway intruder detectors within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently moved onto a 180 acre farm. Lovely area but has a couple of security concerns I'd like to resolve. There is a railroad ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 21bubba

Thread: Considering Purchasing a couple of driveway intruder detectors

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

I recently moved onto a 180 acre farm. Lovely area but has a couple of security concerns I'd like to resolve. There is a railroad easement 350 feet from the house that cuts across my land. Very heavily traveled. Running parallel to it and right next to the tracks is a state owned bike & walking path. A perfect entry point for a BG up to no good. Also living in the country, although far from the masses of RIFF-RAFF, actually adds to the vulnerability due to lack of neighbors.

I'd like to install several motion monitors to warn of any intrusion from either the tracks/trail side and the drive way direction as well. Maybe even one in my barn and one in my shed/work shop too (both maybe 200 feet from the house). Given my location in Wisconsin snow & cold weather operation are a concern too.

There are several different types out there from laser to infrared detecting heat or motion. My experience with simple motion detectors is that weather, fog, rain etc can set them off so not to excited about some of the simple low cost technology out there.

Do any of you have experience with and recommendations for a decent system that will fit my needs here?

Thanks.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The first idea that comes to mind is a fence. Would you be able to put one up? Perhaps a fence combined with some form of electronic surveillance. On that note, Panasonic makes some of the best security cameras I have seen in regards to picture quality. One of the nice features of their PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) models is that they have motion tracking and facial identification (they automatically zoom in on the face of a person that is picked up moving through the area and track on them to help give an identifying image). I don't have any recommendations off hand for outside perimeter detection, but I am sure that solutions do exist.

VIP Member
    I've used several Dakota Alert products, they work pretty darned good and some are long-range.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I got an infra red heat sensor from harbor freight,I mounted it to a tree pointed back at my house from the road,I can tell you everytime a dog,cat,armadillo,rat runs past the house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Minefield?
    Riana and Eagleks like this.

Be prepared to have a lot of four legged critters set off alarms too?

I'd consider your immediate perimeter as the most important, and focus on that first.

I have only used cheap alarm type wireless stuff, but don't think that is what you are looking for. Also consider a dog?

Get a couple of dogs to help with sentry duty!

My parents live off the 'main' road about 1/2 mile with an access road to their property. They have a wireless motion sensor that is adjustable (to eliminate false alarms from critters) and have had good success with it. Has the capability for multiple sensors to set up 'zones'. Seems to be what they needed and has given peace of mind. I believe they got it from NorthernTools.com but not sure.

Dont like dog's ? I know, but they dont need electricity or batterys to function..and they are friendly and warm on a cold night... Ya I know but seriously...Even the upgrade IR sensor is a plastic case you get 2-3 years,...get a dog (or two) that loves to give warning, and you, and cultivate the behaviour... $.02

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    adiglobal.us
    Home -
    These folks just gotta have something you all could use. Man could I spend a bundle here.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have 3 dogs, then motion detectors. I might as well throw the motion detectors away, as the dogs tell me something or someone is out there or not way before the detectors work. And the barks and growls, seem to work as a great deterent as well. However, I plan to keep the motion detectors tied into the lights, etc..... because it lets the dogs see what they are planning to eat.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    As with anything, apply your security in layers and his should be the number one rule. Motion sensors, lights, and dogs are all layers in a complete system. As I am sure has been addressed in other threads, either here or on this forum, dogs are not the ultimate defense or deterrent as some would believe. Very likely they will provide some alert in the advent of trouble, and will try to do so up till their dying breath.

Links