A suspicious incident

This is a discussion on A suspicious incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We live in a city that has a higher than average crime rate. This part of the city, meaning our neighborhood and the ones surrounding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A suspicious incident

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

A suspicious incident

We live in a city that has a higher than average crime rate. This part of the city, meaning our neighborhood and the ones surrounding it have always been a quiet spot, thankfully.Yesterday evening, my wife tells me that some guy (about 17-20 yro) comes to the door and rings the bell. Thankfully she did not open it. Instead she went to the bay window next to the door (there is one on either side) that is angled towards the door and gives you a good view. She asked through the closed window, "what do you want?". He holds up some crudely written sign effectively asking if he can come in and use the phone. I can't recall if it claimed car trouble or anything. Again, having good wits, she told him NO. He left and she watched him for a few minutes while he went a few houses up the road (away from the main road) and out of site. She was surprised that he didn't go to the neighbors house. About 1/2 hour later, she saw him walking down the road back towards the main road. We live in a not fairly small housing development, about 1/2 along the main road in the development, about 1/2 mile or so from the main road. The suspicious points she noted were: 1 - that he only approached selected houses, 2 - he used a strange sign, 3 - he wanted an invitation for entry, 4 - why would someone go this far from the main road if they are having car trouble, She said that it wasn't anybody she recognized from the neighborhood.

I told her that she should have told him no and that she is going to call the cops to come and provide some assistance. I also said that if you see him again, even walking the street, to call the cops and report him.

I seem to recall reading somewhere, it may have even been here at DC, about the tactic using a sign as the method of asking for entry as a prelude to an invasion or attack. Somehow I seriously doubt the guy needed to use a phone. One thing that my wife mentioned, is why would someone approach the house with the security signs in the yard?

My wife says that she can't wait for our CC / purchase permits to finish processing so she can get her home gun. She also says that she is thinking of ignoring the door if someone rings the bell. I am not sure that is a wise move either as it may give the wrong impression that it is clear and safe to try a forced entry.

2. Remove Ads

She could/should have been seen by the suspicious character holding a gun at her side (not pointing it at him) when she talked to him...he'd get the idea, real quick...bad victim selection process.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the cops should have been called right away, then they could have either provided the assistance he might have legitimately needed or they would have found out what he was up to.
    I once had a door to door peddler knock on my door (illegal without a permit in my town) I sent him on his way and then called the cops, turns out he was up to no good, had warrants outstanding and was probably looking to do something bad, fortunately the cops got him before he found a soft target.
    Calling the cops on him protects not only you but your neighbors as well and sends a message that your community won't tolerate people like that roaming around

Absolutely should have called the cops, sheriff or whoever is the Law Enforcement in your area. Nowadays the criminals are finding all sorts of ways to prey on the unsuspecting. It is a sad way to view the world, there are truly the needy out there and they do need help, but the wolves have come to use that need to ply their trade.

Usually my dog takes care of those unwanted knocks at the door. Her not-so-gentle persuasion to "move along" is worth a lot to me and my wife.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    When he showed his sign, just show him your own sign with a drawing of a gun on it.

Seriously she made a good call of not letting him inside. You can't be too careful, several years ago a couple of young people stopped at a house and asked to use the phone (before cell phones). The lady of the house, went inside and brought them a portable phone to use outside. As it evolved she and her child were killed by one of these kids.
    Grinder and TVille like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    When he showed his sign, just show him your own sign with a drawing of a gun on it.

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    What 17 - 20 yr old dosen't have a cell phone in this day of texts and twitters
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Take a trip...get a comfortable HD longgun...feel safe....now

Overall, it looks like we are all in agreement in that she should have made a phone call. The comment about, what 17-20 yr old doesn't have a phone these days had crossed my mind too. It is all really suspicious and hopefully it isn't a prelude to something else.

I had been holding off on getting a HD long gun, but may change my mind. A smaller 20 GA or .410 shot gun might be the ticket. I will have to double check, but I believe that you can walk in, buy them, and walk out as long as you come up clean in a background check based on your driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    We live in a city that has a higher than average crime rate. This part of the city, meaning our neighborhood and the ones surrounding it have always been a quiet spot, thankfully.Yesterday evening, my wife tells me that some guy (about 17-20 yro) comes to the door and rings the bell. Thankfully she did not open it. Instead she went to the bay window next to the door (there is one on either side) that is angled towards the door and gives you a good view. She asked through the closed window, "what do you want?". He holds up some crudely written sign effectively asking if he can come in and use the phone. I can't recall if it claimed car trouble or anything. Again, having good wits, she told him NO. He left and she watched him for a few minutes while he went a few houses up the road (away from the main road) and out of site. She was surprised that he didn't go to the neighbors house. About 1/2 hour later, she saw him walking down the road back towards the main road. We live in a not fairly small housing development, about 1/2 along the main road in the development, about 1/2 mile or so from the main road. The suspicious points she noted were: 1 - that he only approached selected houses, 2 - he used a strange sign, 3 - he wanted an invitation for entry, 4 - why would someone go this far from the main road if they are having car trouble, She said that it wasn't anybody she recognized from the neighborhood.

I told her that she should have told him no and that she is going to call the cops to come and provide some assistance. I also said that if you see him again, even walking the street, to call the cops and report him.

I seem to recall reading somewhere, it may have even been here at DC, about the tactic using a sign as the method of asking for entry as a prelude to an invasion or attack. Somehow I seriously doubt the guy needed to use a phone. One thing that my wife mentioned, is why would someone approach the house with the security signs in the yard?
    My wife says that she can't wait for our CC / purchase permits to finish processing so she can get her home gun. She also says that she is thinking of ignoring the door if someone rings the bell. I am not sure that is a wise move either as it may give the wrong impression that it is clear and safe to try a forced entry.
    Uh oh, she's not one of those that believes that criminals are deterred by a sign, is she? It would be wise to enlighten her on that subject.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Uh oh, she's not one of those that believes that criminals are deterred by a sign, is she? It would be wise to enlighten her on that subject.
    I don't believe so, no. She understands that even the alarm system that the sign advertises won't protect her. It should alert her (us) if someone were to enter the house during the night or while in the shower or other condition white state.

I think the point was more of, if you are "casing the neighborhood" why would you bother with the house that looks like it might have elevated security when there are plenty of others for the picking.

VIP Member

SHe doesn't really need to wait to get a gun for the house in most states. I'd check, but is seems likely that in NC you can take a gun home from a gun shop and keep it in the house sans license. That is how it is here in TX and many other places.

Also, if you must wait, and even if she will have a handgun, there is nothing wrong with getting a pump shotty
    in 20g or .410 (12 if she feels she can handle it). They cost bucks but are not that hugely expensive in the big scheme of things.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

...why would you bother with the house that looks like it might have elevated security when there are plenty of others for the picking.
    Oh ok. Well if this were to play out as he WAS a criminal up to no good, my best guess is they figure that a house with an alarm system is probably has valuables in them and if they can be invited in the house, they have the upper hand and the alarm is defeated. They just need to get someone home to open the door for them.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Get her a shotgun, 20 ga if necessary, but a woman can absolutely handle a 12 ga if it is set up right. My wife's Rem 870 12 ga has an 18 3/4" barrel with and adjustable knoxx pistol grip stock. She's shooting #4 buck. She loves that shotgun.

There is no waiting period for long guns in NC. Go in, pick out the gun, do the paperwork, background check, and walk out with a long gun. No permit necessary.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I was surprised to learn that a pistol purchase permit was required in NC. It did appear that the purchase of a shotgun didn't require a permit although I don't like reading legalize enough to really be certain. If that's the case, get her (and maybe one for yourself to have a matching set) a nice short barrel shotgun for the home defense.

My fav is the Mossburg 590 with 18.5 inch barrel. It does pack a kick however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links