My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm - Page 2

My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

This is a discussion on My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BadgerJ You make good points. But in this case it would have been much better to stay inside, and call 911 and ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You make good points. But in this case it would have been much better to stay inside, and call 911 and get a photo of the guy and the plate through the window and THEN if she must, go outside. She didn't know if there was anyone else in the truck. It would have been difficult to prove a good shoot also, if he wasn't armed but still advanced. NOW, they have nothing to go on. These kinds of people like to return.

Some of you guys (whom I do like and respect) are just too damn hopped up on the idea of killing people, imo. Get data, file charges, have something other than bravado.
    I agree with the staying inside. I dont think Im hopped up on killing people. I never shot anyone who didnt need it. But I do not hesitate one ioda when it comes to dropping the hammer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Get some binoculars and leave them in a position where you can grab them and get plate info,also get a 12 gauge for inside the house,you have no idea if this guy is wanted for a homicide and is on a national manhunt and looking for a place to hideout.Good thing you had 2 dogs,but if there were 2 BG's and #2 had got out down the road and came in from the rear while wifey and 2 dogs were focused on #1 you could get a really bad call.Let the dogs handle the outside while you observe from the inside where you can better protect yourself and your loved ones
    Belskisfast and garyacman like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You're not following me. I didn't say camera INSTEAD of the M&P. If you turn someone in who CLEARLY violated several no trespassing signs, then he'd be on the cops radar even if they did nothing. As it is you can do NOTHING - can't ID him, don't know his license plate, so all you can do now in the ever important aftermath is HOPE. These kinds of people - daring, confrontational are driven by the 'thrill' and will often up the ante and return armed with the knowledge that they have probably not been ID'd or turned in and they know your wife has a GUN which they want to steal/take.

So, get a pic, the license plate and ALSO have the gun ready to deploy. In fact, I'd have said stay in the house and defend in place while using a good zoom to get pics out the window, especially since you KNOW he was a predator (normal people don't do what he did). Listen to your fear but be able to follow up, which she didn't really do; this BG essentially got a FREEBIE. ;)

^^^^^^^This is a very valid post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are way far back as you say, I personally would ;
    #1, get a driveway alarm/alert. { I would also set one up along any four-wheeler paths that may lead up to the house},
    #2 have one of the dogs inside as well. {this will aid in the last line of defense}
    #3 as was posted above, She did alright, and was brave, but what if there were more of them?
    She would have been in irreversible trouble.
    She was much safer inside, and letting the sheriff's office come out as well.
    Now he knows what she looks like. { he can begin stalking her in and around town} and knows its your family, entering and leaving.

If you haven't already thought about it, if there is a spot in your driveway, where you could put up a gate, where you wouldn't be ambushed redily,[opening and closing the gate] you may want to put that up.

If I were you, I would change up which vehicle I drove to work for a while, and alternate.

Definitely a psycho.

Good luck.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

sgb
    Idiotic if she didn't take a camera and video and get his license plate and call it in as a prowler. He'll prowl and do it again and get away because your wife was focusing on the wrong thing. ID the BG, first and foremost. If she had his picture it would go a long way to deter him.

Good that she's safe, but you guys need to think this kind of thing through and gather the needed data to prevent a recurrence.
    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot?

OP Your Mrs did good and had he continued to advance her escalation of force would have been justified.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

She did do a good job. Nice to know the little lady on the homestead can handle herself when the Indians come around and the mans away.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Ha !! That''s funny....... You should have seen her take care of the Porcupine last summer with the AR......Gotta love those West Virginia girls...

Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    Ha !! That''s funny....... You should have seen her take care of the Porcupine last summer with the AR......Gotta love those West Virginia girls...
    LOL, yeah they can get hog wild and pig crazy! I married a Boer from South Africa. Her English is better than mine, and she loves killin Bambi, the Easter Bunny, or anything that can be eaten. And she can get right down mule kickin mean too. I love a woman with some fire!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I never shot anyone who didnt need it.
    LOL!! Classic. This may be the best line of the year.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

BadgerJ, it's easy for you to sit back after the fact, and be an "armchair quarterback" Think about what was stated, and then what you are saying.
    Quote: The man drove into their driveway, into the OP's usual parking place. Some states DO NOT have front license. Are really stating that the wife walk around to the back of the vehicle just to get the license number? Come on, get real. She did a good job with what she had to work with.

If it were me I would have done the same as your wife except I would have called it in, the cops usually don't mind stopping by for things like this and if it is very rural they might be a good distance away. And if something did go down you've already established there was a stranger prowling about.

i didn't read all of the responses, but i'd say she did good, i see no problem going outside to see what's up, the only thing i'd say if you pull a gun on somebody, put a bead on them, then all it takes is a finger and he would have been done, just my 2 cents

It turned out well. Good for her. After any situation occurs, there is always the tought, "What could I have done different or better?" She did what she thought was best at that moment to protect her children and it worked. But as others have mentioned, being inside would have been better. At least there would be absolutely NO QUESTION about why she fired upon him. It's better than articulating why a smaller female had to shoot the larger, stonger bad man before he harmed her or her children where she was miles away from help.

Again, she did good. We can always improve our actions next time.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSweet View Post
    Sounds like he stood there like that looking around because he was working up the courage to act.
    He probably thought "oh it's just a girl, no biggie!"
    I guess he FOUND OUT OTHERWISE!

I'm glad everything worked out OK.
    Yeah, I think you are exactly right.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Bad guy left, family safe, no shots fired, but ready just in case. I think the OPs wife did good.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I like the idea of putting in a gate on the road/driveway. It would be even better if it was able to be placed in a spot where it could be viewed from the security of the house. You could put electronic remote openers in your rigs so you would not have to get out to open/close the gate. A driveway alarm, linked to the gate would be a good idea also.... You could also hide a movement activated game camera that would take pictures of anybody entering and leaving your place. They even have them that can be remotely hooked to your computer so the images are downloaded straight to your computer.

Wierd guy comes in, manually opens the gate and drives in--he's already violated your boundaries by opening the gate that says "no trespassing". He comes to the house, you/wife chase him off. Get the pictures from the remote game cam, call 911 and email the pictures to the sheriff's office and by the time he hits civilization the deputies already have his facial picture and tag number from your game cam.
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; September 6th, 2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
    TheGiant likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links