My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

This is a discussion on My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Things happen quickly in real-time and our decisions are fluid based on circumstances. It seems that she handled the encounter quite well....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

VIP Member
    Things happen quickly in real-time and our decisions are fluid based on circumstances. It seems that she handled the encounter quite well.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

The biggest thing I see here is she had the courage to face the threat down and the means to deal with him if need, and no dough would have pulled the trigger if needed.

I say well done, but do watch out and take precautions.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I think your wife did great.

We're a 30 minute response time as well and have had something similar happen more than once. I go out (G30 in back pocket) because I want to maintain visual contact. If they intend harm, I want to intercept them before they can disable our phone. Cell coverage is very poor so our internet antenna is our only reliable connection to the sheriff's office.

That and because there's a good chance it's just someone who needs help with more than their reading skills. Usually ours have been someone looking for a real estate listing who was following bad Google Map directions.

It's great that I have someone ready to dial 911, loose our Anatolian, and who is a better shot than me in the doorway.

How do you KNOW, he was unarmed ? NO hidden guns, no good knives, .... my bet is , you don't. I wouldn't assume.

Wife did good ! ! ! ! Now you owe her a good dinner out.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i didn't read all of the responses, but i'd say she did good, i see no problem going outside to see what's up, the only thing i'd say if you pull a gun on somebody, put a bead on them, then all it takes is a finger and he would have been done, just my 2 cents
    I don't know about putting a bead on someone in this case. I might suggest that if ever this scenario were repeated that when show-&-tell time arrives, she holds the firearm at low ready (if that isn't what you meant by "...in front of her waist...") - the 'visitor' would see that she looks like she knows how to use it, & she would have a quicker on-target response should it come to that.

Strictly armchair quarterbacking on my part, being as her actions achieved positive results. But you did ask "what if..."

Other than coming prepared, I give her a solid 'right on' for prepping the children & for verbally making it clear that she meant business.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Well, if your wife didn't shoot him, someone's gonna.

You can cram a lot of bad news in a van. Just a first thought is he / they were probably going to burglarize your place if no one was home. Or even worse, he may have been contemplating taking her out to get the job done until he saw that she was probably going to fight. Definitely a good idea to call authorities even at the ending that it had. They can at least keep an eye out for a suspicious van lurking around town.

Good for her and glad all went well. I would let her know to stay on her toes for a while. He now knows what he's up against and may come prepared next time.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Many professionals have been in spontaneously unfolding dynamic situations and upon debriefing them found we did less than perfect. We use that learning experience to do better next time. I would give this domestic engineer a B+ and a steak dinner. We need more like her.
    jem102 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    1) Wife did good; had a plan. Kids observing with cell phone ready: good.

2) You've gotten some input from those of us here.

3) Debrief the incident with the wife re: what happened and what might have happened under the circumstances. What went right and what could have been done better.

4) After the wife, debrief the kids! They were part of the plan too. Don't scare them with what ifs but now is the time to improve the plan. Let them know they did good.

5) My thoughts:

A gate is a good idea. So is a security camera of some sort; especially directly on the house access areas. You need to rethink the idea of leaving the kids alone in the house while the last line of defense (your wife) walks into an unknown situation. If she were overcome the kids would be at risk. Make the other person reveal his hand while you (she) stay behind cover or at least at a safe distance.

Don't forget a less-than-lethal response option. Pepper spray is effective 80-85% of the time.

Perhaps one of the kids could operate a camera from the window while the other observes with cell phone ready.

All in all, you all survived so you did that much right. Just a little fine-tuning is in order.

Well done!

P.S. There is no guarantee that there will be any license plates on the car.
    What the cops need to do is be able to place the perp(s) in that car at that place and time. A camera on the front of the house covering the garage would do that.

Be strong!

glad everything turned out fine for you and your family...... try not to beat yourself up on what ifs. thank the good Lord everyone is fine.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

VIP Member
    I'm glad it worked out and I admire her spunk. IMHO I think she could have added another layer of safety to herself and kids by staying in or near the house door. She could have still effectively communicated her demand and posturing to him.

I know very well of a similar instance that happened when two young people approached a rural house and asked to use the phone (before cell phones) and a drink of water. The housewife would not let them in but met them outside with a portable phone. The apparently unarmed man pulled out a pistol, killed her, went inside killed one child and fired at the other child as she ran away.

A game cam hidden along your road would be a good monitor to document who might be lurking around at times you might not know about. I've got about 7 in place where I've had some "unusual activity", a nearby neighbor helped break a copper theft bunch, he set up a camera and by coincidence two hours later, BG's showed up to steal some of his stuff.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    They only thing I can criticize is her going outside; that was dumb IMO. Other than that, I guess it was a good job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for all the input folks. After reading all these responses I discussed this situation further with the wife and kids. We decided that she needs to stay in the house and although not much will be done immediately, call the police and report it. And, if that door is breached to take care of business with the Mossberg if possible. ( wife is an avid hunter and knows her way around firearms as well as I do)

The best part of this whole incident was when i asked my kids what they would have done if things would have gotten ugly out there. They said without hesitation call 911 while running out the back door and into the woods to hide.

Very glad to hear the wife and kids are well, and that the experience has ultimately served in making you better prepared to deal with a similar situation in the future.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    Thanks for all the input folks. After reading all these responses I discussed this situation further with the wife and kids. We decided that she needs to stay in the house and although not much will be done immediately, call the police and report it. And, if that door is breached to take care of business with the Mossberg if possible. ( wife is an avid hunter and knows her way around firearms as well as I do)

The best part of this whole incident was when i asked my kids what they would have done if things would have gotten ugly out there. They said without hesitation call 911 while running out the back door and into the woods to hide.
    Sounds like you've got a great wife, and smart kids. Only things I can think to do different, at least stay on the doorstep- if he continues, she can either duck inside, or put a couple rounds on target and when the police get there 'I was in the doorway, and he continued to advance; I was worried he was going to force his way in and hurt myself or my children'. Most of the LEOs I know would nod and give her a 'good job'. Also, CALL THE POLICE. Create a paper-trail. That way if he returns, or someone else does, it is 'well documented' that someone was there and she felt threatened from the previous encounter with the same dirt-bag.

I just wish my fiancee was that prepared...
    oneshot likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I also live in a semi-rural area and I get people mistaking my drive for the main dirt road all the time. (It's a fork and my drive is better maintained)

I also have some NT signs and a gate closer to the house. So far, I haven't had anyone open the gate when it was closed. But if I did, I would definitely be on high alert.

I parrot what others have said about getting a driveway/gate alarm and setting up some motion detectors on any trails. I also agree that the police should be notified.

AND-

You and your family need to remain on high alert for a few weeks; jic you were being cased for a HIR.

I also agree that your wife did good. But, she should have remained inside with the doors locked so she could better protect the children.

I would also suggest if your dogs are primarily outdoor dogs, you may want to get a good "medium" sized dog for the inside. I personally also have two trained "APBT's" that stay inside all the time. So if any BGs wants to get inside my home they will get a nice picture of two angry pits looking out the window at "face" level as they approach the steps that lead to my door.

Believe me, the site of two large "trained" and growling/barking pitbulls (3' from your face with only a small piece of glass in between) does seem to stop most people from appoaching the house. It's funny; but, most of our visitors seem to stay in their vehicles and honk the horn the first few visits; even though our dogs are inside the house.

-

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links