My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm - Page 5

My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

This is a discussion on My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bark'n Here's the deal as I see it. You ask what would have happened if he didn't stop approaching her (and I ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

  1. #61
    Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's the deal as I see it. You ask what would have happened if he didn't stop approaching her (and I assume you also mean that she went ahead and shot him)?

    To be honest, you live in Maryland, and I don't know all the in's and out's of Maryland's self defense law. As a whole, Maryland is a pretty "gun un-friendly" state. So, I don't know what the police would do.

    However, with an overview of the circumstances you have an obvious trespasser in a very remote location advancing on a lone woman who is armed with a gun. You can make a legal argument that your wife was legitimately "in fear of her life" at the time she shot him based on the presumption that a man who chooses to advance on a woman armed with a gun and demanding that he back off and leave, yet continues to advance, is effectively saying that he believes either she won't shoot him, or that he can effectively disarm her and then kill her.

    Based on the very rural and remote setting, the conspicuously posted "No Trespassing" signs, and the fact that she was home alone with two small children, I would hope that any sane prosecutor would see this as a legitimate self defense shooting.

    However again, it is Maryland. If you were in the middle of Baltimore, I think you would be quite lucky not to go to trial. I don't know how reasonable the police and prosecutors are in the more rural areas.
    Scenarios like this are why I like living in SC. I haven't been through every line of it, but our Castle Doctrine seems to be pretty awesome.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

    "Gun control means hitting your target every time."

    Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.


  2. #62
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    I cut my thumb off with a saw a few yrs back and that 30 minute wait was something I could not do. I drove myself to the hospital with blood everywhere inside my truck. Humorous now, not so much then. That's just life out in the boonies i guess.
    That really sucks!!!!
    My thumb hurt when I read that.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Any body can armchair something like this, and I dont want to do that. But my suggestion next time would be to stay inside, make sure the doors are secured, get the phone and weapon, and observe their activity. Call the police if they seem to be up to no good, call you, and stand by. If they breech the locks and enter, sende"em to hell.
    This ^^, and definitely call the sheriffs dept and report the tag and the bizarre actions of the driver. And I totally agree that between the camera or the firearm; it's the firearm all day long. My only suggestion would be not to approach the van or allow the occupants to approach the wife; She should stay on the porch IMO. Being that your location is as rural as you stated, (which sounds awesome BTW), he could have easily let some BGs out down the driveway outa sight and unbeknownst to your wife, they're sneaking up from behind.....

    Overall sounds like you gotta heck of a lady there guarding your loved ones, provided she doesn't sacrifice herself in the process.. Like GM10mm, stated. Stay in the house and guard your six. You can't hear someone entering from the back if you're out in the front. Stay safe out there!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    VIP Member Array Guns and more's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    2,391
    She did good.
    I suspect he came to burgle the house and was surprised when your wife confronted him.
    He could have had a knife, or pocket pistol. Assume he IS armed.

    Maybe time for a gate.
    Last edited by Guns and more; September 8th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

  5. #65
    Member Array ktm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western Md.
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    That really sucks!!!!
    My thumb hurt when I read that.
    Yeah it did suck. But, they sewed that joker back on and I am good to go now..

  6. #66
    Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    1,489
    I'll state uncategorically that all those who chose to deploy the handgun, and NOT a camera or a cell phone (while defending in place with a handgun, checked, loaded and ready) are:
    1. Blood thirsty
    2. Noobs
    3. Foolhardy
    4. testosterone poisoning victims
    5. Egotistic
    6. Plain stupid.

    In case anyone doesn't follow my argument.

    What we have now is an unidentified person who allegedly was on this woman's property. She has no proof. If she shoots him claiming he came back again, it would be her word against his. If she WENT OUTSIDE, confronted and shot an unarmed man who can easily claim being lost, she would have gone to JAIL.

    OTOH, if she had gotten a photo of the plates THROUGH THE KITCHEN WINDOW (for ex.) (against the backdrop of her fence or property) the guy's face (again in context of on her property, barn in the background, say), then she'd have a reportable crime and could begin to feel she had done due diligence and the guy would be on the police's radar WHEN (not IF) he gets bolder and repeats this kind of thing.

    Going outside and confronting is the height of stupidity, imo. Confronting armed -ALONE- is even worse, because some people will make you shoot them. If you miss, they get the gun, your kids' safety is now on the line. I seriously doubt this woman was trained to FIGHT using a handgun and thought (duh) because she had a gun she could use it properly without training. In EXTREMIS, hell yes, use the handgun. Here - not so much. Better devices prevail with HG as a back up. Note that she also revealed her gun, giving the alleged predator too much information. Never reveal your knife or gun prior to a fight - pull it to use it - period.

    $0.02

  7. #67
    Member Array ktm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western Md.
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Being that your location is as rural as you stated, (which sounds awesome BTW),:
    farm pic 2.jpg

    Yeah, it is out in the boonies a bit.. Nice and quiet..

  8. #68
    Member Array ktm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western Md.
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    What we have now is an unidentified person who allegedly was on this woman's property. She has no proof. If she shoots him claiming he came back again, it would be her word against his. If she WENT OUTSIDE, confronted and shot an unarmed man who can easily claim being lost, she would have gone to JAIL.

    $0.02
    Well, if she shoots him just because he came back again then she would be in trouble.. ( remind me to never visit your house twice!!! )
    OTOH if she shoots him on his second visit because he was a life treat that time also, then the first visit would not be of much significance.

    I am guessing you don't live in a very rural setting...

  9. #69
    VIP Member Array Guns and more's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    In case anyone doesn't follow my argument.
    Okay, I don't follow your argument.
    1. You're assuming that he was innocent.
    2. I don't know what state this was but all states don't have front plates. The OP stated the van stopped in front of the garage, so how were you going to photograph the plates from inside?
    3. Let's say he wanted to do harm. I guess a nice picture of the killer (after the fact) would help the police, but not the victim.
    4. She did not show the gun until he moved towards her, why would he do that if he was lost? I'd say, "Oh, sorry, and be on my way. Actually if I was lost, I wouldn't get out of the car." How do you explain that he drove past 4 "No Trespassing " signs?
    5. Do you really want to wait until the guy is inside your home before you say anything.
    6. This was way in the country, cops not going to save anyone.
    7. She did not aim at him. People in the country know how do handle themselves.

    She did good.
    He was up to no good.
    When you walk through a bad neighborhood, do you bring a camera?

  10. #70
    ITW
    ITW is offline
    Member Array ITW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    88
    Sounds like she handled the situation well. This guy could have been up to something. Failure to follow her instructions was a definite red flag.

    Still, I would have got a description and called local law enforcement out to the house and filed a report immediately after he left.

    Not sure about the law in Maryland, but in SC brandishing (pointing or presenting) a firearm even while on your own property can be troublesome. And technically this guy could have filed a complaint or even claimed she pointed it at him (his word against hers).

    In my experience, a handgun contained in a holster would not constitute presenting a firearm. Of course neither would a concealed handgun.

    Either way, it's potentially a slippery slope to confront strangers on your property this way. IMO, and in such a case, it's better to program local law enforcements number in your phone and have your wife stay in the house, arm herself, and call for a deputy/officer to check him out. This way he'll be much less likely to return to your home attempting to seek some sort of retribution against you, knowing there's a record of his former presence.

  11. #71
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    farm pic 2.jpg

    Yeah, it is out in the boonies a bit.. Nice and quiet..
    Man, I'm envious big time!


    Congrats, to you and yours!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  12. #72
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Not sure about the law in Maryland, but in SC brandishing (pointing or presenting) a firearm even while on your own property can be troublesome. And technically this guy could have filed a complaint or even claimed she pointed it at him (his word against hers).
    This is a very valid point. I would think that the first call to law enforcement gets a fair amount of the consideration with a call of that kind... Good point.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  13. #73
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but it is my suspicion that one would be more easily defended by his lawyer if he took the position that he always carried because of the remote location, snakes, bears, dangerous neighborhood, etc., but that he had no idea that particular visitor was violent and that things just escalated by bad luck.

    That would shelter him from the accusation that he knowingly entered into a situation that had the potential for violence.
    I agree with that. And one of the many reasons I remained armed even while at home.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  14. #74
    ITW
    ITW is offline
    Member Array ITW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    88
    Easy for people to ignore signs.

    I also live out in the sticks.

    I have a gate where the public property ends and the private property begins. I put it up when I was building my house. A 12 footer, the kind you get at tractor supply. One of the best things I ever did.

    Makes a big difference when you know strange folks or drunks aren't going to be driving down your driveway at night.

    Keeps the traveling sales types away as well.

  15. #75
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414
    I used to deliver plumbing supplies to a contractor that lived "in the sticks" at the end of a long lane with No Trespassing signs along the way.. the last sign read as follows:

    "If you must enter these premises illegally,
    please remove dentures, prosthesis, and eyegalsses.
    Our dobermans find them hard to digest."

    On my first delivery, I was VERY leery... the Mrs. told me that the dobes were the biggest babies in the world, and wouldn't harm a fly.. She was right, they were very friendly... But I'm sure the signs discouraged the literate who happened down the wrong lane...

    As to the game cams... How do you get them to delay until the car has passed to get the plate? Don't they just snap the pic when the IR beam (or whatever the trigger is) is broken/disturbed?

    I'm out in the sticks myself, just close to the road... I'm all about stay in the house, call 911, hunker in the bunker. The stuff ain't worth a life... but if they decide to bring it into the defensive area (the bedroom), they're done.

    The OP's wife did good. She coulda done better. And I'm sure she will next time... Good learning experience for all of us.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mm at 3 miles
,
9mm for wife?
,
9mm situation
,
defense s.c.pointing&presenting
,

free license plate lookup

,

free license plate search

,
handle and attacker outside your home
,
home defence posted signs
,

license plate lookup free

,
what 9mm for the wife and daughter?
,
which 9mm for my wife
,
wife handles two
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors