Defensive Carry banner

My Wife Handles Situation with 9mm

9K views 93 replies 54 participants last post by  oldcurmudgeo 
#1 ·
Wifey and I ( along with two daughters (8&9 yrs old) live way back in the sticks on my family property. It is a very peaceful and beautiful place where visitors are extememley rare. My nearest neighbors lives almost 3 miles way and the road that leads to our house runs up over a mountain and dead ends at my garage.

There are 4 different "No tresspassing" signs the last mile into my house where the road is for solely our use. There is no way you could "accidentally" end up at my house.

A few evenings ago while I was at work, wifey and the girls were eating dinner and a white van pulled into my parking area in front of the garage and just sat there. Wifey grabbed the M&P and told the girls to watch out the window and if anything happens dial 911.

She went out and asked the guy, who was still sitting in the drivers seat, If she could help him. She had the M&P in her hand behind her back. By this time my two very large and protective farm dogs are right by her side ( they know something was not right) she asked again if she could help him and he said no, and that he was lost. He then got out of the van and stood there for a second looking around. (wifey said it was very strange) She told him that he needed to get in his van and leave. He still stood there. She was roughly 30 ft from him at the time. He then started walking towards her! The dogs started growling at this time. She then put the M&P in front of her waist ( not pointing it at him, just showing him she has a gun) and told him to stop and get in his dam van and leave right now! He stopped dead in his tracks and did exactly that.

This guy was NOT armed but what if he hadn't stopped walking towards her after she told him to stop? Afterall, she was outside our residence in the parking area. But I mean, there she was in the middle of nowhere with two small kids in the house watching what is going down with cellphone in hand.
I think she did a great job and I am totally proud of how she handled herself. I asked her what she was planning to do if he continued towards her. She said she planned on yelling at him to stop one more time with the weapon pointed at him and if he didn't she was more than willing to protect herself and our kids. Yes, he was unarmed and yes they were outside in the middle of the day but hey, atleast all three of them would be around for the jury trial.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Idiotic if she didn't take a camera and video and get his license plate and call it in as a prowler. He'll prowl and do it again and get away because your wife was focusing on the wrong thing. ID the BG, first and foremost. If she had his picture it would go a long way to deter him.

Good that she's safe, but you guys need to think this kind of thing through and gather the needed data to prevent a recurrence.

#3 ·
I think here first and foremost concern was the safety of herself and the kids. Not ID'ing this guy or the van. We have thought this through, that is why we have a good collection of firearms. . I'm glad she chose the gun over the camera. I don't think a camera would have been as much of a deterent like the M&P was.

If she would have turned this guy in as a prowler (in the middle of the day) they would have simply blown her off. But, even if they did catch him down the road he could have easily said he was simply lost. Which he did state to her originally.

#8 ·
I'm glad she chose the gun over the camera. I don't think a camera would have been as much of a deterent like the M&P was.

If she would have turned this guy in as a prowler (in the middle of the day) they would have simply blown her off. But, even if they did catch him down the road he could have easily said he was simply lost. Which he did state to her originally.
You're not following me. I didn't say camera INSTEAD of the M&P. If you turn someone in who CLEARLY violated several no trespassing signs, then he'd be on the cops radar even if they did nothing. As it is you can do NOTHING - can't ID him, don't know his license plate, so all you can do now in the ever important aftermath is HOPE. These kinds of people - daring, confrontational are driven by the 'thrill' and will often up the ante and return armed with the knowledge that they have probably not been ID'd or turned in and they know your wife has a GUN which they want to steal/take.

So, get a pic, the license plate and ALSO have the gun ready to deploy. In fact, I'd have said stay in the house and defend in place while using a good zoom to get pics out the window, especially since you KNOW he was a predator (normal people don't do what he did). Listen to your fear but be able to follow up, which she didn't really do; this BG essentially got a FREEBIE. ;)

#6 ·
What about calling 911 before she leaves the house - possible trespassing? Maybe have the girls write down the license plate number and other identifying details.

Reactions: garyacman
#7 ·
Any body can armchair something like this, and I dont want to do that. But my suggestion next time would be to stay inside, make sure the doors are secured, get the phone and weapon, and observe their activity. Call the police if they seem to be up to no good, call you, and stand by. If they breech the locks and enter, sende"em to hell.

#11 ·
That was my suggestion after thinkng about it also. But she said if it was dark she would have went with that option for sure.

I live in a VERY rural area so the response time for the Police is usually no less than 30 minutes if your lucky. You have to prepared to take care of yourself for that amount of time.

Same with an Ambulance. I cut my thumb off with a saw a few yrs back and that 30 minute wait was something I could not do. I drove myself to the hospital with blood everywhere inside my truck. Humorous now, not so much then. That's just life out in the boonies i guess.

#9 ·
she did fine as it work out.

i can but suggest that you & she work together to understand distance between people as it relates to their action and your reaction.
it is frighting how fast someone can be 'there' and than on top of you.
it is the proverbial ' blink -of-an-eye'

should there be a next time the gun goes to low ready when they step out of the van.
cause how do you know he is not armed?
i train that low ready is half way between me and them and the safety is off and my finger is inside the trigger guard.

stay in house.....
like a mommy bear she protects her children--keep danger from getting close to them.
a head dock would have language to describe her actions, she went with her gut; outside

and did fine.
as for pictures she can describe plenty to a police artist if they cared to sit with her.

Reactions: jem102
#14 ·
I understand, I live in the sticks, and have all my life. The plan I just suggested is the one in place for my house and wife. The advantage to holding the high ground (house) is tremendous. After she calls me, the intruders will be lucky if the police get there before either I get there, or Mrs Gman gets them. Let them come to you,walk into your field of fire, and cut them to pieces. Make sure the kids are accounted for at all times.

#28 ·
Yeah, I think you are exactly right.

#17 ·
Get some binoculars and leave them in a position where you can grab them and get plate info,also get a 12 gauge for inside the house,you have no idea if this guy is wanted for a homicide and is on a national manhunt and looking for a place to hideout.Good thing you had 2 dogs,but if there were 2 BG's and #2 had got out down the road and came in from the rear while wifey and 2 dogs were focused on #1 you could get a really bad call.Let the dogs handle the outside while you observe from the inside where you can better protect yourself and your loved ones

#22 ·
LOL, yeah they can get hog wild and pig crazy! I married a Boer from South Africa. Her English is better than mine, and she loves killin Bambi, the Easter Bunny, or anything that can be eaten. And she can get right down mule kickin mean too. I love a woman with some fire!

#24 ·
BadgerJ, it's easy for you to sit back after the fact, and be an "armchair quarterback" Think about what was stated, and then what you are saying.
Quote: The man drove into their driveway, into the OP's usual parking place. Some states DO NOT have front license. Are really stating that the wife walk around to the back of the vehicle just to get the license number? Come on, get real. She did a good job with what she had to work with.

#25 ·
If it were me I would have done the same as your wife except I would have called it in, the cops usually don't mind stopping by for things like this and if it is very rural they might be a good distance away. And if something did go down you've already established there was a stranger prowling about.

#26 ·
i didn't read all of the responses, but i'd say she did good, i see no problem going outside to see what's up, the only thing i'd say if you pull a gun on somebody, put a bead on them, then all it takes is a finger and he would have been done, just my 2 cents

#35 ·
I don't know about putting a bead on someone in this case. I might suggest that if ever this scenario were repeated that when show-&-tell time arrives, she holds the firearm at low ready (if that isn't what you meant by "...in front of her waist...") - the 'visitor' would see that she looks like she knows how to use it, & she would have a quicker on-target response should it come to that.

Strictly armchair quarterbacking on my part, being as her actions achieved positive results. But you did ask "what if..."

Other than coming prepared, I give her a solid 'right on' for prepping the children & for verbally making it clear that she meant business. :hand10:

#27 ·
It turned out well. Good for her. After any situation occurs, there is always the tought, "What could I have done different or better?" She did what she thought was best at that moment to protect her children and it worked. But as others have mentioned, being inside would have been better. At least there would be absolutely NO QUESTION about why she fired upon him. It's better than articulating why a smaller female had to shoot the larger, stonger bad man before he harmed her or her children where she was miles away from help.

Again, she did good. We can always improve our actions next time.

#30 · (Edited)
I like the idea of putting in a gate on the road/driveway. It would be even better if it was able to be placed in a spot where it could be viewed from the security of the house. You could put electronic remote openers in your rigs so you would not have to get out to open/close the gate. A driveway alarm, linked to the gate would be a good idea also.... You could also hide a movement activated game camera that would take pictures of anybody entering and leaving your place. They even have them that can be remotely hooked to your computer so the images are downloaded straight to your computer.

Wierd guy comes in, manually opens the gate and drives in--he's already violated your boundaries by opening the gate that says "no trespassing". He comes to the house, you/wife chase him off. Get the pictures from the remote game cam, call 911 and email the pictures to the sheriff's office and by the time he hits civilization the deputies already have his facial picture and tag number from your game cam.

Reactions: TheGiant
#32 ·
The biggest thing I see here is she had the courage to face the threat down and the means to deal with him if need, and no dough would have pulled the trigger if needed.

I say well done, but do watch out and take precautions.

#33 ·
I think your wife did great.

We're a 30 minute response time as well and have had something similar happen more than once. I go out (G30 in back pocket) because I want to maintain visual contact. If they intend harm, I want to intercept them before they can disable our phone. Cell coverage is very poor so our internet antenna is our only reliable connection to the sheriff's office.

That and because there's a good chance it's just someone who needs help with more than their reading skills. Usually ours have been someone looking for a real estate listing who was following bad Google Map directions.

It's great that I have someone ready to dial 911, loose our Anatolian, and who is a better shot than me in the doorway.

#34 ·
How do you KNOW, he was unarmed ? NO hidden guns, no good knives, .... my bet is , you don't. I wouldn't assume.

Wife did good ! ! ! ! Now you owe her a good dinner out.

#36 ·
Well, if your wife didn't shoot him, someone's gonna.

You can cram a lot of bad news in a van. Just a first thought is he / they were probably going to burglarize your place if no one was home. Or even worse, he may have been contemplating taking her out to get the job done until he saw that she was probably going to fight. Definitely a good idea to call authorities even at the ending that it had. They can at least keep an eye out for a suspicious van lurking around town.

Good for her and glad all went well. I would let her know to stay on her toes for a while. He now knows what he's up against and may come prepared next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.