Good - This one turned out well. Point made, nobody died, BG arrested.

This is a discussion on Good - This one turned out well. Point made, nobody died, BG arrested. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Homeowner Shoots at Suspects During Break-In - WGHP...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Good - This one turned out well. Point made, nobody died, BG arrested.

nerdyvirgin likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Things like this are highly disturbing because:
    1. It was teenagers (insert 'he was trying to turn his life around/he was a good boy who got in a bad crowd' here);
    2. He discharged his firearm inside his house;
    3. He shot at an unarmed person;
    4. There was no threat to his life;
    5. He could have been charged (discharging a firearm inside city limits);
    6. If he'd have shot one of them it would have been major lawsuit time;
    7. Even though he 'had a gun' he didn't, imo, use it responsibly (though that's second guessing a person who was frightened by strangers in his home advancing on him up the stairs)

I'm glad it turned out OK and wonder if he'll change the way he operates because of this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Things like this are highly disturbing because the perps violated this guy's home in an attempt to steal his personal property.

NC does need to upgrade its home defense/Castle Doctrine laws to provide more protection for victims.

Victim doesn't need to change. BG's need to change and the state law needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    1. It was teenagers (insert 'he was trying to turn his life around/he was a good boy who got in a bad crowd' here);
    7. Even though he 'had a gun' he didn't, imo, use it responsibly (though that's second guessing a person who was frightened by strangers in his home advancing on him up the stairs)

I'm glad it turned out OK and wonder if he'll change the way he operates because of this.

In NC if a person is breaking into your home, you do not have to ascertain whether he is armed before you shoot.

AFTER he is in your home, you can't use deadly force unless you have reason to believe he is armed and will seriously harm you.

However, if you read the story, it was 2:30 AM, totally dark in the house and the victim had no way of determining whether the BG was armed. It is perfectly logical to assume the BG is dangerous.

As for the comment about firing in the house and in the city, what in the world are you talking about?

Would you suggest that the victim invite the BG outside so that he could shoot him or even better invite him to accompany him to some site outside the city where he could be dispatched?

Further, would you please go back and read the story and take note that the cops said the victim did everything correctly.

Posting such nonsense just to see your name on the internet adds nothing to the pool of knowledge.

VIP Member

A forceable home intrusion at 2:30 a.m. in darkness by multiple threats sure seems like a ‘fear for life’ encounter to me.
    bps3040, TVille, atctimmy and 2 others like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If MY door crashes in at 2:30 in the morning, I'm not going to check IDs to see if it's "just" teenagers. Violent entry into a locked home is evidence enough of vicious intent to commit some form of mayhem, and will be cause to use deadly force.

Discharging a firearm inside my own house in defense of myself and my family? And inside city limits? Puh-leeze.

BadgerJ would do well to start by reading Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme", followed by taking a MAG-I/II course. Recognize the Ability-Opportunity-Jeopardy elements of a threatening encounter and when you have just cause to use deadly force.
    Harryball, TVille, Saber and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Warning shots?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

He'll probably buy a Nikon digital camera, and take their picture next time... Providing he has the camera with his other gear on his pajama bottom's utility belt... Me? I would have used the bat-a-rangs.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Warning shots?
    Or adrenaline dump?
    Looks like the shots went into the wall near the perp anyway..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If MY door crashes in at 2:30 in the morning, I'm not going to check IDs to see if it's "just" teenagers. Violent entry into a locked home is evidence enough of vicious intent to commit some form of mayhem, and will be cause to use deadly force.

Discharging a firearm inside my own house in defense of myself and my family? And inside city limits? Puh-leeze.

BadgerJ would do well to start by reading Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme", followed by taking a MAG-I/II course. Recognize the Ability-Opportunity-Jeopardy elements of a threatening encounter and when you have just cause to use deadly force.
    This right here...

BadgerJ Im not sure what state you are in, but In my state, its a legal shoot....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    A forceable home intrusion at 2:30 a.m. in darkness by multiple threats sure seems like a ‘fear for life’ encounter to me.
    I would think so to but I found this in the article.
    Under North Carolina law, a person is allowed to use deadly force if it is "necessary to prevent an imminent threat of death, great bodily harm or sexual assault."

The person using the deadly force must not "be an instigator or an aggressor who voluntarily provoked, entered or continued the conflict leading to deadly force."

The force also must not be excessive, defined as "greater than reasonably needed to overcome the threat posed by a hostile aggressor."
    In my State of Oklahoma it is written in the law that a person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm if another person forcibly enters your home. There is no restriction on your use of force. The above quote from the article seems to say in the State this happened the homeowner is restricted to equal force. Am I reading that right?

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; September 13th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Mir1m
    The above quote from the article seems to say in the State this happened the homeowner is restricted to equal force. Am I reading that right?
    I would disagree. "...reasonably needed to overcome the threat posed by a hostile aggressor." Example an older or infirm person physically struggling with the intruder is unable to prevail so they shoot the intruder. Not equal force, but reasonably necessary to overcome the threat.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In my house 2:30 am door gets kicked in,multiple threats coming down hall,5 shots 00 buck down the fatal funnel with 8 rounds 45 acp in case I missed anybody that still wants to play
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are you sure you are on the right forum.....maybe you want www.pantiewetters.com
    atctimmy, JoJoGunn and Flasher like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Y'all are sounding pretty bloodthirsty. Think about it. Do you really want to shoot a 15 year old who is just burglarizing your house taking a DVD player?

I don't think I'd want to be in this guy's situation, and I'm glad it turned out OK.

To the gentleman who talks about shooting them with a shotgun, good luck cleaning the blood and bone and guts and buckshot out of your living room wall, floor and carpet. You people just are living in a fantasy world where a gun solves everything. Yes, I am armed and carry inside my house, but I hope I have the tactical and situational awareness not to shoot holes in the wall with a .357 and cause myself to go deaf just because some kid kicks in the door to steal a DVD player. Sure, I'd light him up with the 300lumen tac light and the laser on my HG, but shoot and miss and hit the wall THEN say I'm glad I didn't hit him?

What a doofus. (and by that I mean a big 250lb gentleman with a big gun who shoots like a scared little girl and hits the wall near the floor).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links