Hunter Killed in Grizzly Attack

This is a discussion on Hunter Killed in Grizzly Attack within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The hunter was killed by the bear and one of his hunting partners killed the bear. Hunter Killed In Grizzly Attack Near Idaho / Montana ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ctr

Thread: Hunter Killed in Grizzly Attack

The hunter was killed by the bear and one of his hunting partners killed the bear.

Hunter Killed In Grizzly Attack Near Idaho / Montana Border - News Story - KXLY Spokane

This is the same general area where a man recently killed a grizzly protecting his children.

Man charged for shooting grizzly
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Not such a fun way to exit Planet Earth.

A bear is going to have to find me, I'm not going looking for him! Prayers for the deceased hunter and his family! Feel bad for the bear also, he probably didn't plan on this happening either when he woke up this morning.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    The headline should have read, "Grizzly died defending himself from 2 attackers."

Sad the the fellow died, but he screwed up in a big way. He shot the wrong species of bear. Stupid hurts. I'm a hunter myself, but I don't go after bear. The indians had sense enough to leave bears alone, that ought to tell a person a thing or two.
    Old School and RockStrongo like this.

20 YO hunter screwed up and shot and wounded the wrong species of bear and it cost the 39 YO his life.

Very sad.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Wonder how those hunters were planning on getting that ole grizzly bear out of that remote mountain country after they killed it?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The headline should have read, "Grizzly died defending himself from 2 attackers."
    I disagree. That gives groups like PETA more fuel to the fire of their insanity. The actual headline is accurate and non-biased.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Sad the the fellow died, but he screwed up in a big way. He shot the wrong species of bear. Stupid hurts. I'm a hunter myself, but I don't go after bear. The indians had sense enough to leave bears alone, that ought to tell a person a thing or two.
    Many, many, people go bear hunting each year. It's inherently risky. The only real mistake outside of mis-identifying a brown bear sub-species was making a poor shot.

That, and possibly not hunting in pairs like a lot of people do in remote back country areas. Partner hunting helps prevent deaths and serious injuries due to wounding a predatory animal like a bear.

That, and two people being on hand makes cutting the animal up and packing it out easier.

"That, and possibly not hunting in pairs like a lot of people do in remote back country areas. Partner hunting helps prevent deaths and serious injuries due to wounding a predatory animal like a bear.

That, and two people being on hand makes cutting the animal up and packing it out easier." (quote) SFury

According to the article they were hunting in pairs at the time of the incident.

I would like to know the expierence of the 20 YO who shot the bear in the first place and then the expierence of both men when going into heavy brush in an attempt to locate and finish the bear.

If they were initially going for black bear as one article mentioned I would be interested in the caliber of the rifles being used.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...PYK_story.html

Again a sad incident for the deceased hunter but lessons need to be learned.

OS

UPDATED ARTICLE : http://news.yahoo.com/wounded-grizzl...220406380.html
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I disagree. That gives groups like PETA more fuel to the fire of their insanity. The actual headline is accurate and non-biased.

Many, many, people go bear hunting each year. It's inherently risky. The only real mistake outside of mis-identifying a brown bear sub-species was making a poor shot.

That, and possibly not hunting in pairs like a lot of people do in remote back country areas. Partner hunting helps prevent deaths and serious injuries due to wounding a predatory animal like a bear.

That, and two people being on hand makes cutting the animal up and packing it out easier.
    PETA - people eating tasty animals, count me in! If you want to talk about giving fuel to the anti-crowd, they sure did. Personally, I could care less about fueling anti's or anyone else for that matter. I stand by what I wrote, the hunters made plenty of mistakes.

When it comes to bears, humans are not at the top of the food chain. When legally hunting them, a hunter pays his fees and takes his chances. There is a well known fella in my neck of the woods who hunted bears for years and years and years. He was quite good at it, right up until the day his luck ran out and the bear put him in the hospital for weeks. He was never right after that. He was also very lucky to live thru it.

Now back to these folks, as the article stated, they mis-identified the species of bear and illegally shot a non-game animal. Poor shots too, from the sound of it. Stupid hurts.

Hmmm, the yahoo article has way more details. Yeah, they did everything wrong outside of hunting in pairs when facing a grizzly. They learned the meaning of dead wrong...

I also wonder what caliber rifles they were using. Probably not heavy enough.

This is a story that repeats, sadly, every couple of years, hunter's wound a bear and start tracking it, the animal wounded, is stalking the hunters, my sympathy to the families of the boy's. The survivor can look forward to all kinds of government harrasment for the mistakes he made with his partners on that hunt. I can not help thinking that "grizzle" recovery is taking a heavy toll on government resourses in that corner of the world, Id not be surprised if the truth be known the Idaho and Montana game officials have been running around ragged trying to prevent human/bear interaction's....and not for nothing..3 out of 4 of the "black" bear I have seen on the Idaho/Washington boarder were cinnamin phase blackys, they are quite common, grizzle are not...thank god, its just poor policy and wishfull thinking to bring these creatures back....

Sad story and one that was totally preventable. I have never understood hunters that head into grizzly country to go after black bear from other states. These guys were from Nevada, and there's plenty of black bear country in states surrounding Nevada that are much closer and safer than hunting where they were. It's still under investigation, so there may be charges filed down the road but it's not unheard of to see dark short haired griz with a longer snout. We'll have to see how this plays out as investigators try to match the forensics with the story from the young man.

Hunter died from gunshot not grizzly

Still a sad ending.

I had a feeling there was more to this story as the father of the 20 yr old came out with 2 different stories on how the grizzly was shot. The first story was that the bear dragged the deceased 30 yards and the kid shot the bear 3 times while the bear was on top of him. The second story had the kid running out of ammo going back to camp and coming back and shooting the bear with the deceased man's gun. The kid was obviously in a state of shock, so you always need to see how it plays out after the preliminary pathology comes back. The kid will probably never be the same is this guy had a wife and a couple of kids.

Sponsored Links