Clarification on VA non resident gun posession during vacation stop

This is a discussion on Clarification on VA non resident gun posession during vacation stop within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm heading south again for Thanksgiving, driving from NH to FL and back with at least a stop for a night or two in between ...

Thread: Clarification on VA non resident gun posession during vacation stop

Clarification on VA non resident gun posession during vacation stop

I'm heading south again for Thanksgiving, driving from NH to FL and back with at least a stop for a night or two in between each way. From past experience, I can make it to Baltimore/DC area by about dinner time so it makes a good halfway point to stop. Last similar car trip I stopped in Baltimore as we had a specific destination in mind, so I did not bring my handgun due to local laws that appeared to prohibit me from taking my gun, even unloaded and locked in my car. This trip, I figured since we don't need to stop in Baltimore/DC, that perhaps I could use VA as a halfway point. Can anybody help clarify the regulations in VA? From what I understand from http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf and the VA State Police website that its permissible to have a firearm in the state without a permit as long as its unloaded and stored in my trunk per standard methods during travel, but its not entirely clear if that covers "in state" travel, or just through travel.

NH does not have reciprocity agreements in place with VA so I know that I can't CC, which I can live with for an evening, but FL and GA do, and I plan on staying in both states to visit family for the holiday and a little sightseeing as well.

Assuming I do stop in VA, any recommendations for budget accomodation closer to the Northern VA area?
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

Unlike MD and DC, VA is quite firearms-friendly. OC is an option for you, even without a permit, in fact (and unlike NH, you can OC in your vehicle).

As for budget accomodations, I'll do a little digging and get back to you. Do you have an idea which route you'll be using (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly)? I travel to NH several times a year, but NOT using the toll road route. If I have an idea where you'll be, I may be able to find you some lodging options without taking you too far out of your way.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Riana is correct, Va is a gun friendly state, Open carry is legal in your car, and legal out of your car during your stops. not trying to open up the whole OC Vs. CC can-o-worms, just F.Y.I.,
    The locked in the trunk is always an option too.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Our plans haven't been finalized yet so I am not sure as we may also take a side trip to eastern TN as well on the way down or back but normally I head down I95 once I cleared NJ. If we go to TN I would take I81 and bypass NJ and DC altogether for one of the legs. I81 is also a lot more scenic.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VA law also allows the carry of a loaded weapon in a glove box or console if it is "secure" Secure does not require being locked,.

VA rocks. MD sucks big time.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Virginia now allows carry of a loaded firearm secured in a container or compartment. The word "locked" was specifically excluded from the Code. This is commonly known as the glove box carry method. But why bother? As long as you're not going to the very few places prohibited (jail, prison, secured area of police station, courthouse, GMU, VCU, K-12 school), just OC.

18.2-308

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Budget accomidations and NVA don't really go together. I would suggest checking the Ashland, VA area, or another suburb of Richmond or Fredericksburg.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    To me Northern Virginia (NoVa) does not include Ashland or Fredericksburg. To me NoVa ends at the Prince William/Stafford line (and that's stretching it).

What do you have in mind when you say NoVA?

I was hoping not to have to drive more than an hour south than just over the northern VA border, since the Alexandria area will be a good stopping point for dinner.
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Depending on the time of day you arrive, an hour can easily put you in the Fredricksburg area. Just make sure you time your trip so you hit the VA line no later than 2:30. Any later than that and you could spend 3 hours going 5 miles!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Luckily we will be passing through on a Saturday on both coming and going, so I'm hoping traffic won't be quite as bad.
    Ron Paul.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Luckily we will be passing through on a Saturday on both coming and going, so I'm hoping traffic won't be quite as bad.
    Traffic in this area on I-95 can be very bad on weekends also.

I believe we just got the worst traffic in the nation award yesterday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Traffic in this area on I-95 can be very bad on weekends also.

I believe we just got the worst traffic in the nation award yesterday.
    Definitely well deserved!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links