Fiance moving to an apt, just her and her mom

This is a discussion on Fiance moving to an apt, just her and her mom within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm getting married next May. We decided we will live with our parents until then to save up money and get rid of as ...

Thread: Fiance moving to an apt, just her and her mom

So I'm getting married next May. We decided we will live with our parents until then to save up money and get rid of as much debt as possible before we get married. Well her mom and step dad are getting divorced so they'll be moving into an apartment soon. My fiance hunts with me and has her own shotgun (and is a pretty darn good shot with it too) but her mom has never shot a gun and is really leary of them. I guess what I'm looking for is any tips you can provide for two women living in an apartment together to help keep them safe. My fiance and I will walk through with her shotgun so she can understand where she has cover/concealment and everything but I still don't feel real comfortable with it. Obviously when I'm over I'll be CC'ing (once it's legal and I get my WI permit) but other than that I just feel like two women living in an apartment together could be an easy target. So, any advice/tips? Or am I really worried about nothing?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I think you are showing wise discernment. You didn't mention it in your post but one thing that would help guide my level of concern has to do with the type of neighborhood they live in. Is it in a good part of town, so-so or a bad part of town? I'm not suggesting that you don't have to be careful in a good part of town but I think you may want to use extra-precautionary measures if you're in a bad part of town.

It sounds like you are doing the best thing for now and that is providing them with awareness. There's also other little things they can do depending on their specific situation. You might scout out the best parking spots that may cut down on the time it takes them to walk from their car to their apartment - neither one of them, for example, should be walking in a dark parkinglot for a long period of time. Even if its well lit, they should have a good light on them so they can check the backseat before they ever get in their car. They should also consider carrying some pepper spray and or a knife if they aren't going to carry a gun.

You and your girlfriend may also consider taking a class and get some training in using that shotgun in a defensive role. Being a good shot isn't the only thing that counts. You need to be able to keep your shotgun in your possession if confronted with an assailant that tries to take it from you. Also, if you haven't done so, you might trick that shotty out with a good tac light and make sure you've got some good SD ammo in it and not depend on something like birdshot.

There's lots of things you can do but don't allow it to overwhelm you. Take it day by day and have some plans in place and you'll know what you need to do after you guys sit down together and discuss specifics that you need to be prepared for, etc.

I hope for your fiance and her mom to have a safe transition over to the apartment.

Maybe more tools than a firearm?

A good pepper spray bedside and one near the front door. A good intro on how to deploy stressing to use the time to get away once applied. There is very little "cover" in an apartment, the biggest thing is to make sure they both know to communicate if something happens. Make sure they understand to plan where they will go if something happens so one isn't running into the other while both are likely to shoot or spray before IDing what their target is.

Low recoil ammo. Use low brass for training and introducing her mom to shooting it. Consider a low recoil OO buck like the Federal Flite Control Low Recoil (PD132 is the stock #). If you have concerns about overpenetration in an apartment consider a big birdshot load. It will be a good balance of penetration at apartment distances. Consider using a Flite Control load in birdshot too. You have to keep as many pellets on target as you can with birdshot.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    You didn't say what kind of shotgun she has. If possible get a short barrel (18-20") for it. If that is not an option, for around $300.00 you can pick up a Mossberg designed for home defense. I'd advise against a pistol grip shotgun, while it is easier to maneuver it is harder to control than the butt stock models. Definitely teach your mother in law to be to use it. Then when you get married, you can either take it with you, or present it to her for her safety once she's on her own.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Rent a house. Apartment complexes are dangerous and criminals know that lots of would be "victims" live there and target those areas.

Some other tips, good sturdy suplimental locks, low profile lifestyle so nobody knows they are two women living alone, and a smaller weapon like maybe an OC spray. Something easy to answer the door with and lower profile than a shotgun, inexpensive so you can save money. Something that works from front door to parking lot and back.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Sponsored Links