They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

This is a discussion on They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It sounds like you have some persistent and possibly very dangerous criminals interested in your house and possibly its occupants. There's going to have to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

It sounds like you have some persistent and possibly very dangerous criminals interested in your house and possibly its occupants.

There's going to have to be commitment and willingness to protect the family members by the adults of the family. Barring that, you will have to rely on some preventative measures and luck to protect the family.

I would also recommend some professional handgun training for both of you.
    oneshot likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Shop Master Lock Door Security Bar at Lowes.com

Something like this on each door. They have some that have built in alarms.

You need to harden that place. I agree with the idea of getting your wife a revolver. I still think a shotty is a good think to have--get a youth model in .410 so your daughter can handle it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It sounds like you have some persistent and possibly very dangerous criminals interested in your house and possibly its occupants.

There's going to have to be commitment and willingness to protect the family members by the adults of the family. Barring that, you will have to rely on some preventative measures and luck to protect the family.

I would also recommend some professional handgun training for both of you.
    Yes you are correct 100% ....... We started last week with the training on sunday morning at our local gun range with our Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Shop Master Lock Door Security Bar at Lowes.com

Something like this on each door. They have some that have built in alarms.

You need to harden that place. I agree with the idea of getting your wife a revolver. I still think a shotty is a good think to have--get a youth model in .410 so your daughter can handle it.

Thanks , thats a nice door protector and the price is not bad at all. Im gonna look at a shotty for the wife and daugther

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You live in Miami . . . never noticed all the bars on windows, etc.? Why do you think they're there? Take every reasonable precaution you can, and maybe a few unreasonable ones too.
    garyacman likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow. This sounds like a really serious situation. Out of curiosity, you say they are trying to break in, but how exactly are they trying? Are they trying to kick the door in, break windows, etc?

The thing that disturbs me about such repeated attempts is that the bad guys probably know that somebody is home and that doesn't bother them. A regular thief typically would want to avoid contact with the people he steals from. But if somebody wants to invade a home when its occupants are there, that is an entirely different type of criminal. In my opinion, that is a much bigger threat than somebody who just wants to help themselves to your TV while you are away from home. So this sounds like a serious risk of bodily harm or death.

I would ditto what somebody else said about window alarms. You can get them for like $5 a piece at Wal-Mart. I already have them on all of my windows. I would also re-enforce your striker plates too. While pepper spray is better than nothing, I would not take the only gun in the house to work with me if I thought my wife and daughter were at home in a potential situation like that. You definitely need to invest in another gun or leave your LC9 at home with the wife and daughter.

One other suggestion might me to add some more motion-sensing lights to the outside of your home. I believe they even make ones that can sound some kind of alarm inside the home if they detect motion on the outside. I've thought of getting some of those myself. Sure, you might get a few false alarms from the neighborhood cats and the like, but it may very well give you the advanced warning you need to save your life.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Harbor Freight has those wireless door/window alarms with 6 sensors for like $30. Cameras would be good for the cops to know you aren't full of it or paranoid. Get a used 20 ga. or 410 pump. Maybe a couple more birds.
    Hopyard likes this.

You have guys coming by the house early in the morning, right after you leave, apparently knowing people are home. Makes me think that you have some really dumb criminals, or they are there for a reason. How long have you lived there? Any possibility drugs were used/sold in the house in the past five or so years? Might be guys returning after a few years away. The other thing that attracts criminals like you describe. Women. You need to look closely for what is attracting these folks.

Put up motion detector alarms outside and motion lights. Get alarms on ALL the windows. Do NOT allow them to be opened for ventilation unless they are on the second story, surrounded by five feet of razor wire or you have bars on them.

Good Luck!!

Redrocket: A game camera setup is not very expensive and will help you get to the bottom of this business.

I would be very careful of your daughter and talk to her about her friends at school and anyone who is bothering her.

For some one to be out and about your home at 3am says something very very evil is at foot.

As to the Shotgun for your wife get one for your daughter also.

Make no mistake about this your family is in serious danger, and it could stop for a while and then return.

Anyway learning good pistol defensive skill is a great step, but make sure the family has the right mind set for defense, even to the taking of a life.

Remember Fl. has the Castle Doctrine and can stand your ground and not defend your home and family.

Best to you and will remember you and your family in my prayer.
    bigdog44 and oneshot like this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

All good info above. I was also thinking...that you've explained FL Castle Doctrine to your family. Make sure that if you don't come home "unexpectedly"...be sure to call to let them know it's you about to come in the door.

When "things" are as tense as they seem in your house now, it's important to keep cool heads.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Are you sure it's a burglary attempt?

I don't know if I missed it or not, but have you seen any damage to doors or windows to back up the attempted robbery as a motive? Reading that you have a 16 year old daughter and a wife at home has raises the possibility of other motives in my mind. Especially when reading you posts your neighbors have ID'ed the same 2 guys on multiple occasions. In my mind 16 is old enough to have access to a shotgun inside the house and the knowledge of when to use it if she wants that option. I would be taking a hard look at window coverings and routines that may present opportunities for peeping tom type scenario's. I might be going the complete wrong direction but it is hard to rule anything out these days.
    rolyat63 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The weakest link in most home security systems are the people. Not only do you need to be diligent, but your wife and kids too. There are a lot of stories floating around about sophisticated alarms not being turned on or people not locking the deadbolt.

Be sure doors and windows are locked at all times. If someone knocks, do not unlock the front door unless you know and identified the person. Make sure your wife and daughter understand and follow this! It is extremely common for burglars to ring the door to see if someone is home. If you answer, they pretend to be selling cable or something.

I see you have "dogs" this is good. There is no substitute for a big dog...

Oh and take photos, serial numbers, and appraisals of your valuables for insurance claims or to help police identify them if something gets recovered. Store them with a trusted relative out of state (in case of hurricane).
    bigdog44 and Bark'n like this.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Faster Horses; Younger Women; More Money

Bigger Dog; Alarm System; Shotty
    I love it!
    I might add...move!

If all else fails, prepare for a war, because it sounds like it might just be around the corner. And in Miami, if you shoot a gang-banger, his friends my also visit!
    Do you own your home, or are you renting?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have lived in apartments for a few years, so my situation has been different. I must say that is a very scary situation. I am getting close to proposing to my lady friend, so I am beginning to look at things in a different light. Would hate to have her home alone dealing with this.

Many of my ideas have already been said. Those door braces are a nice touch. They are simple and fairly effective. Not to mention cheap. Lots of inexpensive option out there.

I would have to agree that these people sound like they mean business. Glad to hear you are going to get a shotgun. Given the circumstances there is no reason to have the most effective defensive weapons possible. This does not necessarily mean most expensive. A mossberg 500 or Remington 870 can be bought for around $300.

I recall people talking about fortifying their bedrooms. Can't remember where. Sure some other people could offer more input on it. Perhaps you could install a solid door instead of a hollow core for the master bedroom. Sure up the jamb, and install a deadbolt. In effect build a safe room for the wife and daughter in event of an incident. Get the daughter in the room, lock up, grab 12ga, call 911. Just hunker down and let the pros handle it. I would rather lose property than a life, and would do anything to protect myself and mine.

A last thought would be to have a plan set up for the wife and daughter. It could be very helpful to know how you intend to handle a situation should it arise. Granted it could go out the window, but at least something is set up.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Yep, fully agree with the alarm. Also make sure you have a charged cell phone with good signal at night. Any noise dial and stay on line. Get everything recorded especially you yelling I am armed and get the hell out!

My 1st thought of concern is the LC9? Not a bad carry gun but probably not my 1st choice if I think I may have visitors of this type. You will be nervous if you hear anyone come in and it will be dark. Aiming will be tough. I might go out and invest in a Mossberg 500 and a few boxes of shells. Should run around $400 and it is just fun anyhow when not used for defense mode. Go and practice using it and get the wife to do the same. Now when someone tries to enter, 1st dial 911 then rack that thing hard. If not a deterrent they know what is next. Be sure to get a good hi brass 00 or 000 buck. At least this way you may be able to defend yourself while you wait for the police to come. Just be sure to tell them where you are and what you are wearing.

Hope it all just stops and goes away and none of this matters but do not fall victim by not being prepared.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links