They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

This is a discussion on They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In Texas it's not a good idea for people to be trespassing after sundown,it could be fatal for them,you might try taking a day off ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

In Texas it's not a good idea for people to be trespassing after sundown,it could be fatal for them,you might try taking a day off work if this is an everyday occurrence,drive off like your leaving and then set up with Binocs where you can observe your property,first sign of intruders call 911 and try to catch the perps in action
    atctimmy and DefConGun like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I suggest you take a week off of work and send your wife out of the house each morning at 3 am for a long drive. I think you can figure out the rest.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    All good info above. I was also thinking...that you've explained FL Castle Doctrine to your family. Make sure that if you don't come home "unexpectedly"...be sure to call to let them know it's you about to come in the door.

When "things" are as tense as they seem in your house now, it's important to keep cool heads.
    This is very important. I make it a practice to use my cell phone to call home from the driveway. That way I don't surprise Mrs. Hopyard and frighten her if she is not expecting me.

I got into the habit of making a call like this about a decade ago when my mom was living alone. I had a key to her apartment but I did not want to enter without giving her notice; didn't want her to get scared. Didn't want to ring the doorbell and risk her falling hurrying to open the door. So I would just call from the parking lot and say I'll be there in a few seconds.

Do that with you wife and daughter and get into that as a solid never broken routine. That way if they hear a door open it won't be opening unexpectedly and frightening them.

Its not just a matter of not getting yourself shot, it is a matter of kindness to them that they don't get needlessly scared.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Here's the deal. And you can take it for what it's worth.

First of all, as Guantes said,

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes
    It sounds like you have some persistent and possibly very dangerous criminals interested in your house and possibly its occupants.

There's going to have to be commitment and willingness to protect the family members by the adults of the family.
    Areas of Miami has had a serious crime and even violent crime problem for some time now. Too many people ignore the problems of crime, and choose to not give it any serious thought until something happens which forces it to the top of one's priorities. Then they find themselves in a panic trying to play catch-up on what they should have been addressing a long time ago. Okay, that's neither here nor there at this point. It is what it is.

But, you should realize... (and maybe you are starting to get an appreciation for this now that you are worried about your families safety), there is only so much a person can do, financially or otherwise in a short amount of time to go from being totally unprepared, to living in relative safety.

If this isn't a wake-up call, I don't know what is. Below are some recommendations from my perspective. And again, take it for what it's worth.

(1) You need to sit down with your wife and daughter and have a serious no B.S. conversation with the two of them as to just what the heck is going on. You all should realize, that people who break into peoples homes while they know people are inside are extremely dangerous!

Bad guys who break-in when people are home or sleeping are seriously prepared to deal with them if they are confronted by the occupants. If they break in during the time you are asleep, they almost always have the advantage over the homeowner! That is because their adrenaline is surging through their body like an atomic energizer. They are wired tighter than an 8 day clock and their reflexes are going to be like a cat on a mouse. They may even be high on drugs or liquor making their decision process skewed. The home occupants are going to be sleeping and when they wake, they are going to be groggy, confused, in the dark and not firing on all cylinders mentally. You get the picture?

If you, and especially your wife, are not familiar with what happened to Dr. William Petit and his family in Connecticut back in 2007, then you should familiarize yourself with what happened. The murder trials are underway as I write this. It is one of the most heinous home invasions in modern history, and it can happen to anyone!

When Horror Came to a Connecticut Family

If you spend any time at all on this forum, you will very quickly find out just how often home invasions happen across the country and just how bad they are. I can assure you that most of the time, you will see it posted here on this forum before you see it reported on whatever major news network you watch. We have members here from every part of every state, and people here are quick to post the articles of people killed and break-in's which have gone very bad for the homeowner. As well as the ones where the homeowners come out on top because they were prepared.

You should try and figure out why your wife would rather be victimized, and possibly tortured, sexually abused, raped, mutilated and murdered rather than defend herself and her daughter with a firearm. If she thinks it's going to be a painless, and non-horrifying event until she finally dies then I don't know what to tell you. She is not living in reality. And that is a serious problem.

So, as a family, you can either take this seriously, or be naive and hope for the best.

(2) You need to sit down and prioritize just where you are going to spend your hard earned, (and I'm assuming) limited funds where they are going to do the most good in the shortest amount of time.

(3) In the short term, the #1 goal is to keep your loved ones from being slaughtered like sheep in the middle of the night whether you are home or not. That means, at least to me... Once the bad guys do gain entry into your house, get past the dogs, flood lights or whatever, your family needs to have the means to employ lethal force in order to keep from being killed. And that means, access to firearms.

If for some reason, your wife feels she is incapable of defending herself and her daughter, that responsibility may need to fall upon your daughter to protect her mother. Since your daughter is already demonstrating that she is becoming fairly comfortable shooting a gun, then she may need to be the one who has access to it.

At this point, it really doesn't matter what firearm you get. Hundreds of people here are going to have opinions (all of them different) as to what is the best firearm to have for home defense. As a novice, don't get caught up in all that mumbo jumbo which will just confuse you and may not be realistic for your situation. What you have is what you got. Make sure everyone can use what you got and work from there.

Ideally, every home should have at least a pistol and a shotgun for home defense. However, if your wife and daughter does not shoot a shotgun well, can not handle the manual of arms (effortlessly) then maybe a shotgun is not the best choice for now. Or at least, not their only choice. When it does come to deciding which guns to buy, it would do you best to go to a gun range which rents different guns to shoot and let your wife and daughter try out different guns and see which they can shoot the best. There will likely have to be some compromises and some effort made to work with the gun in order to become proficient. It's rare for a novice to go right out and find that perfect gun which fits their hand perfectly and is easy to shoot. They are going to have to put in some effort to learn to shoot the gun. It doesn't shoot itself.

Also, your one and only gun is doing your wife and daughter no good at all if you take it to work with you. The problems you are having are at your home, not at your work.

So, with preventing your wife and daughter from being raped and murdered as your biggest concern, then maybe you spend most of your available funds getting them familiar with using the gun effectively, purchasing any additional guns you feel you need, and at least getting your daughter and or wife into a basic handgun class, and then a basic defensive pistol class.

(4) Develop a plan for what your wife and daughter are going to do, if someone does actually break inside your home. You should study the layout of your home and decide if they are going to stay put where they are, or move to one central safe location? Ideally, they can each have their own firearm and both barricade themselves in their own room and wait for police. They really shouldn't be moving about the house until you have had proper training and are more than just novices.

However, if they only have one firearm between the both of them, the one who has the gun may need to quickly move to where the other one is located and then secure themselves in that room until police arrive.

For me and my family, I prefer to use the shotgun as a piece of heavy artillery after all of you have barricaded yourself inside one single bedroom and have gotten behind the bed. Then if someone breaches the bedroom door, you can blast away without fear of hitting any other members of your family.

If you have called police and anyone breaches your "safe room", you need to be sure you are not shooting any police officers who may have entered your home in search of the bad guys. You should always make a positive identification of any target as a bad guy before you shoot anyone. You don't want to ever shoot the wrong person, be it a family member or a police officer.

(5) After you have the means to defend yourself, and your family has the means to defend themselves you can turn your attention to fortifying your home.

It should be an ongoing process as funding permits it. Again, you should prioritize how and where you are going to spend your hard earned money to get the best use of it and addressing the most vulnerable parts of your house first.

Solar powered, motion sensor, security flood lights can be found for around $35-$50 each. As you stated, you already have some outside motion sensor lights so that is good.

You should make upgrades only as you can afford to do them but you should budget some of your funds to go towards upgrading your home security. It should be a higher priority than say getting that second X-Box or second or third flat screen HDTV.

One can easily go into debt upgrading their home security, and you don't have to do that. But you do make home security a little higher priority than you've been doing in the past.

Some of the things you can do is make sure all your entry doors are strong doors. Solid core doors or steel doors. You can spend $600 or $1000 on a single door, so evaluate your existing doors carefully and do some internet research if you think you need to upgrade your entry doors.

Not only should you have good doors, you need to make sure they can't be kicked in. I have 4 entry doors on my house. I have a solidly built solid core wood door on my front door and steel doors on all the rest. But I have also installed steel reinforced door jams on all my entry doors and reinforced all my door hinges. The steel reinforced door jams cost me an extra $100 per door. They are also a do-it-yourself project which takes about 45 min to an hour per door for someone with limited building skills. A carpenter could probably do it in about 20 minutes.

Also good quality dead bolts are a necessity. It would be easier to take a chain saw and cut your own door into the side of my house than it would be to kick in my doors.

I am also in the process of putting 3M security window film on all my windows. It prevents windows from being broken out easily. Keeps people from just breaking out a window with baseball bats rocks or whatever. You would have to basically take a saw and physically cut the glass out of the window frames to get in through a window. I have about 2/3'rds to 3/4 of all my windows done. I've been working on it through out the year.

My house is far from being impenetrable, but it will take a huge effort to get in, and unless you know, you would have to bring some specialized tools to help you get in. The whole point is to make it difficult so they get discouraged and will move on to an easier target. I don't have bars on my windows, and looking at my house from the street, except for the exterior security lights, it looks just like a regular house and not like some crack house.

As far as alarms systems go, they run the gambit from pure junk to quite expensive. And regardless of how good they are, you have to use them in order for them to work. Most people spend a several hundred dollars on installing an alarm system, pay a monthly fee to a monitoring company and then never use their alarm. Or only use it sporadically. Or when they leave to go on vacation. Total waste of money if you are not going to use the alarm every day around the clock.

I hope this helps give you some things to think about, and help you prioritize some issues. Your home security should be a long term endeavor which you work on a little at a time as you can afford to do so. You are not going to be able to go from having little or no awareness regarding your home security issues to Ft. Knox level security in a week or two on the average persons income. But better late than never.

You can find a wealth of information here at DC.com. We discuss this topic frequently. Feel free to send me a P.M. if you have any questions.

I tend to be pretty security conscious, but these are only my opinions based on my life's experiences.

Good luck with your situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Shop Master Lock Door Security Bar at Lowes.com

Something like this on each door. They have some that have built in alarms.
    I have these and they work great. We had a LEO over for some neighbor problems and he even commented on what a good idea it was. When I bought these, I also hardened my doors where possible. I replaced all the existing screws with 3" screws in the kick plates and hinges. It connects the hardware to the studs behind the door frame. Some of the kick plate screws were only 3/4" long originally. It shocked me to find out that those little screws were all that held up my doors. It might not stop someone completely, but it will buy us time to react to the invasion.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Put some bobcat or bigger trapps outside where they have been walking or up against the windows. With it being fall now there are plenty of leaves to cover them up. Or... dig a tiger trap! Good luck and be safe!
    Buckj likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nebduckman83 View Post
    Put some bobcat or bigger trapps outside where they have been walking or up against the windows. With it being fall now there are plenty of leaves to cover them up. Or... dig a tiger trap! Good luck and be safe!
    NO-- don't do that. It may be criminal where you are to set booby traps and you would certainly be in serious dooo for lots of money if a neighbor kid hurt his leg and was permanently disabled or disfigured.

And what will you say if an LEO comes over to investigate after a call and steps on one?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    NO-- don't do that. It may be criminal where you are to set booby traps and you would certainly be in serious dooo for lots of money if a neighbor kid hurt his leg and was permanently disabled or disfigured.

And what will you say if an LEO comes over to investigate after a call and steps on one?
    Booby traps bad, however I could see some trip wires, maybe some inline civvie legal flash bangs which you can find at some online security stores and paramilitary websites.

If your lady is worried about killing a fellow human, get a shotty and load it with #6. Tell her it is "less lethal" but will scare them away, which is kinda sorta true.

I understand you don't want to be a pest to 911 or be branded the boy who called wolf, but they are your recourse; use them!

Do you and your neighbors have the funds to hire an armed security officer to loiter about in the wee hours?

good luck and keep us updated.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDROCKET View Post
    By the way they just fired 44 police officers in my town (North Miami Beach FL ) ...
    I lived in NMB from 1984-1986. It was the absolute worst police department I have ever seen in my life. Even to this very day I feel that way.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Booby traps bad
    Prentice Rasheed, one of my personal heroes, had his trials and tribulations with booby traps.

What Ever Happened To ... Prentice Rasheed - Orlando Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I suggest you take a week off of work and send your wife out of the house each morning at 3 am for a long drive. I think you can figure out the rest.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST!
    Is this a rule violation or something? Or atctimmy do you not want replies?

Not trying to sound crude,but, do you think she would be afraid to use it if someone has her or your daughter "cornered"
    Quote Originally Posted by REDROCKET View Post
    No i dont ..... but my wife is afraid to use it and my daughter is only 16 even tho she shoots that LC9 very well at 15 yards.

This is why im asking for advice , Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Is this a rule violation or something? Or atctimmy do you not want replies?
    If the OP responds to my post and does what it says then it could be bad for him later in court. If he puts in writing that he is laying a trap for the BGs and he ends up shooting somebody it could prove intent. In short, it could be argued that he intended to shoot someone.

I should have written "OP do not respond to this post".
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If the OP responds to my post and does what it says then it could be bad for him later in court. If he puts in writing that he is laying a trap for the BGs and he ends up shooting somebody it could prove intent. In short, it could be argued that he intended to shoot someone.

I should have written "OP do not respond to this post".
    Intent to protect his loved ones and property when the police repeatadly could not provide results (due mainly to no fault of there own most likely but still), I think it's the right and final thing to do honestly

VIP Member
    Assuming the story isn't somehow being exaggerated, OP should seriously consider moving his wife and child out of there to a relative or a friend's home until this gets figured out and settled down.

If OP has a male friend or relative who can stay with him in that house after the family is gone, that would be a good idea too. And if the family can't be moved, then maybe it would still be a good idea (even if quite inconvenient) to have a male friend or relative stay there for awhile.

Something is going on. It sounds more like they are after the daughter than intent on a burglary. So get her and your wife the heck out of there.

Also, everyone has to be very attentive before leaving the house and on returning. You don't want to provide an opportunity for someone in waiting to push their way in or to grab someone on their way home--- and that someone grabbed could be the man of the house.

Sorry if that frightens you, but it sounds like you have a serious problem that calls for very serious and vigorous action.

(It might be an inept and almost harmless peeping Tom, but you can't bet your life on that.)
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links