They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! - Page 4

They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

This is a discussion on They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Assuming the story isn't somehow being exaggerated, OP should seriously consider moving his wife and child out of there to a ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Assuming the story isn't somehow being exaggerated, OP should seriously consider moving his wife and child out of there to a relative or a friend's home until this gets figured out and settled down.

If OP has a male friend or relative who can stay with him in that house after the family is gone, that would be a good idea too. And if the family can't be moved, then maybe it would still be a good idea (even if quite inconvenient) to have a male friend or relative stay there for awhile.

Something is going on. It sounds more like they are after the daughter than intent on a burglary. So get her and your wife the heck out of there.

Also, everyone has to be very attentive before leaving the house and on returning. You don't want to provide an opportunity for someone in waiting to push their way in or to grab someone on their way home--- and that someone grabbed could be the man of the house.

Sorry if that frightens you, but it sounds like you have a serious problem that calls for very serious and vigorous action.

(It might be an inept and almost harmless peeping Tom, but you can't bet your life on that.)

Very solid advice.
    tobnpr likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Get a used Revolver, Teach wife & daughter to shoot it. Time comes I think she'll do the right thing needed to do ; )
    H/D
    I disagree. A minimum of two bad guys are being discussed. I love revolvers, but squeezing off three shots apiece at each assailant & hoping to god that the rounds hit the mark & the bad guys go down is a lot to ask without extensive training. If you decided to go this route, at a minimum get her some formal training & get a Crimson Trace grip so it's very evident where she's aiming in all kinds of light conditions. I also disagree with the Ruger LC9 staying home with
    your wife. The example I shot had a horribly long trigger pull like a Sigma. I would worry about her jerking the trigger off target & missing the Perp. Why not give her the Glock & you keep the Ruger. Better yet, get a S&W SD9 for her & spend the extra money that you would've spent on a Glock for lots & lots of practice ammo!

In addition, get her a good Shotgun,
    (I would suggest a Mossberg of the 500/590 variety) & pattern it with different loads of #1 or #4 buck;
    (Many people believe #4 buck to be too light for combat use, but Chief James "Patches" Watson, in his book "Pointman",
    responded that "The Vietnamese I shot didn't complain".) 12g. recoil can be mitigated by ensuring that the LOP is correct for your wife and/or daughter & putting a bag of lead shot in the stock to act as a recoil reducer. If you think the recoil of a 12g.would still be too much for either of them, a 20g. with #3 Buck is still nothing to sneeze at!
    Another possibility that might work well for the ladies of your family is a .223 or Pistol-Caliber Carbine,
    (e.g. Marlin Camp Carbine,Ruger PC4 or PC9, or an AR-15 variant in 9mm.)

Also, you don't state what kind of dogs you own. A large protective breed, like a German Shepherd, or Rottweiler lunging at
    said assailants will go a long way towards taking the wind out of the Perp's Sails. (You don't have to spend a lot of money
    getting a dog, check with your local humane & breed-specific Rescue Societies in the greater Miami area, spend some time
    with it & ask lots of questions prior to purchase to ensure that the dog is a good fit for your family.)

Good luck!

Harden the exterior of your house & make sure it's well lit. Also, Security Film on your windows will help prevent with the
    shattering of a window for illicit entry.

(It might be an inept and almost harmless peeping Tom, but you can't bet your life on that.)
    Based on the other homes being broken into, it almost sounds to me like thieves who have a grudge that they were stopped at his home and are determined to get in at some point. A shotgun and big dogs will go a long way OP.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Many violent perps start as peeping toms - just the first step in emboldening them to more violent acts.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainAir View Post
    Many violent perps start as peeping toms - just the first step in emboldening them to more violent acts.
    Yep, today's Peeping Tom usually becomes tomorrow's rapist!
    shooterX and TN_Mike like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I want to Thank EVERYONE for the overwhelming response and support for me and my family...... Ive gotten great positive feed back and ways to protect ourselves.

I moved here 3 years ago after dating my now wife, the area was full of Canadians but all have been moving out rapidly . I rent and I was just holding off from moving because we are looking to buy a house in far west Ft Lauderdale area near horse country on 1 or 2 acre lots near highway 27.

Yes this is a rude awakening for us thats why I went out and got my CCW and the LC9, its time to move out ASAP even tho I dont want to sign another lease but I think thats what its gonna take for our safety till we buy that house.

Ive been looking at the Mossberg 500 and been talking to the family about it for home security . Ive never ever seen crime so bad like it is today ..... but yes im in Miami.

And yes I agree on the scary part of them looking to attack my family and just breaking in for that reason and not stealing anything.

I keep my gun ready and loaded with 7 + 1 in the chamber and a spare mag next to my night stand, gonna get me the shotgun this weekend and we our going out looking at apartments even tho we are renting a house now but the time is urgent and priceless for us.

Just want to Thank everyone again !!!!

Victor

Best of luck.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I would see if you couldn't pull a week vacation, get the wife and daughter to get in the car @ 3am, go somewhere safe, (making like its you leaving) and you stay @ home.

I'd have a hard time going to work with these kinds of shennanigans going on.

I'd want it to end.

Cameras.
    Motion sensor lites.
    Firearms, and the know how to use them for everyone in the family.
    Great Pyrenees.
    Window/door motion alarms.

Tiger pit on each side of the house.[just joking]
    ^^^^NOT A BAD IDEA THOUGH EH????^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Might be time for a move.

Stay safe and be ready, the bad guys are. What ever you do don't depend on luck or the cops. Our familys security is our own responsibilities. Good luck.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

2 - 3 Ducks , and a mean goose.

Ducks are the absolute best watch dog there is. If you place a 5 gal bucket in the yard, and then a couple of days later move it..... they will quack and sqwack because "something is out of place". The goose , will attack it. If anyone other than normal comes around , good ducks will raise total hell until they leave, while the goose (gander) will chase after them biting them in the rearend the entire way.

Another, put a motion detector hooked to a 135 db siren / horn from radio shack on the back of the house, that will go off if anyone is out there.
    http://lockitt.com/Xenazone1.htm

OR, you can tie the horn into the wiring of a motion light & the horn will go off too (but that works only at night). Everyone for 3 blocks will know if someone is in your backyard. Plus, who ever it was, will need a change of pants.

Get a game camera and mount it so that anyone who goes around the back of the house, it takes a nice picture of them you can hand the police.

Or, a cheap good system such as this, and tie it into a VCR so it will record on top of that, would be good. http://www.harborfreight.com/black-a...tor-66556.html

I once had problems with a peeping tom .... looking in my daughters window and running him off, couldn't catch him. Finally, told the officers what I wanted to do.... and they laughed and thought that was a good plan. The next time I realized he was out there, I called them.... and they went to the other end of the block and waited. I went out, and began yelling/screaming bloody murder at him and unloading a .38 cal blank starter pistol at him..... boy did he ever run fast.
    And, as we suspected, he ran right to the 2 police cars sitting there waiting for him . That was that.
    Rock and Glock and JoJoGunn like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Faster Horses; Younger Women; More Money

Bigger Dog; Alarm System; Shotty

Put window intrusion alarms on every window. Even the cheap ones that don't send to a monitor will give the occupants a few seconds warning, let you know something is up (a hand on the window), and the potential intruder might think it is sending to a monitoring company and stay out.

Yep Hopyard is right. Go get a shotgun. They are inexpensive and require very little skill.
    Similarly, you need intrusion alarms on the door and one of those gadgets that keep the door from being kicked in easily.

Wife needs a shotty.

Yep Hopyard is right. Go get a shotgun. They are inexpensive and require very little skill.

Administrator

and just the sound of one will have all the riff raff in a 5 mile radius running for the hills.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My suggestions. Put a nail in above each of the windows and leave some sticking out so the windows can't be opened more than a few inches.

Plant some of these under your windows. Floridata: Yucca aloifolia Spanish bayonet may be the ultimate in "security plants" - it can be planted beneath windows and other access points where its fiercely pointed leaves will prevent passage of all interlopers human and otherwise.
    I really like the warning: WARNING
    They don't call it Spanish bayonet because it's named after Señor Bayonet! The tips of the leaves are pointed and sharp! Do not plant Spanish bayonet near walkways, patios or in areas frequented by children and pets. This plant can inflict puncture wounds even through heavy clothing!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2011 View Post
    Might be time for a move.
    YES~! That would part of my plans B, C and D. Granted, there isn't a perfect location anymore but still.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links