They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! - Page 5

They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

This is a discussion on They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months ! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis Go get a shotgun. They are inexpensive and require very little skill. For the love of all that is good in ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: They keep trying to break into my house for the past 3 months !

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Go get a shotgun. They are inexpensive and require very little skill.
    For the love of all that is good in this world, could we please stop spreading this lie? A shotgun requires the same amount of skill as any other firearm to employ effectively. Don't pretend that because it's a shotgun you don't have to aim it. At the distances we're talking about the spread of a typical shotgun using buckshot isn't going to be very big. You still have to train with it.

To the OP, it's time to move especially since you're able to do so relatively easily (renting).

Stay safe.
    gunguy82 likes this.

I have not read everything, but to extend security from the perimeter of your house out to the perimeter of the yard, fence in the yard and fill it with dogs.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgraing View Post
    For the love of all that is good in this world, could we please stop spreading this lie? A shotgun requires the same amount of skill as any other firearm to employ effectively. Don't pretend that because it's a shotgun you don't have to aim it. At the distances we're talking about the spread of a typical shotgun using buckshot isn't going to be very big. You still have to train with it.

To the OP, it's time to move especially since you're able to do so relatively easily (renting).

Stay safe.
    Good points, and another thing, people please stop calling a shotgun a "shotty".
    Herknav likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    OP......as far as I am concerned you and your family are in immediate and eminent danger and you need to do all you can to protect your family and property........or move away. If you stay get more effective weapons to defend your home and train your family to use them. As far as I am concerned you are basically under attach in this neighborhood. Plan and act accordingly.

I hope things get better for you and the family.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Good points, and another thing, people please stop calling a shotgun a "shotty".
    lol yeah, that's never going to happen
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Hope things have improved. As you are renting hopefully a productive move is a possibility. Stay vigilant, stay prepared, and good luck protecting you and yours. Hope it all works out for the best.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Stay safe.
    IIRC a normal/average shotgun pellet spread is 1 inch per yard = 30 inches at 30 yards ETC.

Get a Shotty and some cameras alarm would be helpful.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Stay safe.
    Train the whole family, have an evacuate plan, you must train with any and all weapons and get range time in atleast a couple hours a month, run practice drills on how to get out safely
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

These are cheap and work well, they will set off an "alert" inside your house that someone has set it off. It can also set off an alarm if you want to set them up too. You could even give your neighbor one and it would alert them that someone is in the yard when you aren't home.

Wireless Driveway Alert & Driveway Alarm System
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

First off, great name.

Second, agree with the doorstop comment. I have them on all my doors that open inward, and they do make the door very hard to push open.

Third, get a 12 gauge. Take it and your wife to the range, and practice until you both can reliably hit your targets.

Fourth, several companies make remote-locking systems for interior doors. I would recommend getting one installed on your bedroom door, and one on your daughter's door. Keep the remote in your nightstand. That way when you or your wife hear interior noise, hit 'lock' and seal off your rooms from the intruders. Some companies even make locking systems that can be activated from your Android/iPhone.

Fifth, I would get steel-core doors for your bedrooms. They are tough as nails, and can't be shot through or easily kicked in.

Finally, if someone is in your house, and your family is in danger, do not hesitate to kill them. Don't shoot for the knees, arms, etc. Shoot to kill. Shooting to wound can lead to a civil lawsuit against you. Additionally, if the person ever gets out of jail, he or she will come after you. Pretty hard to sue/seek vengeance if you're dead.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Shotty.......shotty........shotty.......shotty!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Stay safe.

Heck of a lot easier to POINT a Shotgun at a target that it is to take steady aim with a handgun or rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Finally, if someone is in your house, and your family is in danger, do not hesitate to kill them. Don't shoot for the knees, arms, etc. Shoot to kill.
    I suggest that you shoot COM to stop the threat. If death comes to the perp as a result, that is a workplace hazard of his chosen occupation. His heirs can file a workers' comp claim or take it up with OSHA.
    ErnieNWillis and jem102 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Stay safe.
    A shotgun is easier for a lesser trained individual to operate. Pretty much pick it up, point, shoot (operate the safety if it is ON/OFF). Aiming is still required of course but it is a much more natural "pointing" type of aim. They are also a long gun with a long sight radius and aiming and accuracy are a little easier than with a small handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Heck of a lot easier to POINT a Shotgun at a target that it is to take steady aim with a handgun or rifle.
    Darn, you said it first!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links