Crime Alert: Robbers targeting people pumping gas. NC

This is a discussion on Crime Alert: Robbers targeting people pumping gas. NC within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- Cumberland County Sheriff Earl R. Butler is warning residents to be aware of their surroundings while pumping gas or shopping at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Crime Alert: Robbers targeting people pumping gas. NC

VIP Member

CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- Cumberland County Sheriff Earl R. Butler is warning residents to be aware of their surroundings while pumping gas or shopping at local convenience stores.

The alert comes after two armed robberies were reported Thursday.

Authorities said the first incident happened around 9:30 p.m. in the 3500 block of Gillespie Street in Fayetteville at the Lake Lynn Short Stop. They said three African American men, wearing hoodies and blue jeans, robbed a convenience store customer at gunpoint in the parking lot.

The victim told investigators that one the suspects approached the driver's side of his vehicle, pointed a gun at him and demanded money. When the victim told him he didn't have any money, the suspect grabbed the victim's cell phone and fled the scene.
    Crime Alert: Robbers targeting people pumping gas | abc11.com

This has been discussed before but since I do go to Fayetteville on occasion this getting a bit too close for comfort. Biggest problem is most of my trips involve a stop at the VA hospital and being federal property no carry is allowed. I do carry pepper as a backup but would prefer to be armed. I have thought about checking with some of the pawnshops I know to see if they will let me pawn my EDC for a short period and pick it up after my appointment.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I have been to Fayetteville exactly once since my ETS from there thirty years ago, and that was on business. It was easily the roughest military town I was ever stationed near.

These 'Stop & Robs' need cameras mounted on gun turrets..., and snipers on the roof....OMO

When I'm getting gas, I go where it's crowded, and my eyes are looking for everything.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you're at the pump and pumping gas a zippo lighter in one hand is half the equation, the other half is the pump nozzle.

Cool

"When I'm getting gas, I go where it's crowded, and my eyes are looking for everything." {QUOTE} retsupt99

Absolutely.....

And any place else for that matter.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I agree with retsup99. I am always aware and scanning the area when pumping gas or anyplace else, for that matter. And if you can't carry because of fedral property being your destination, isn't it possible to fill up before you go? Is it that far from home that you can't make the roundtrip on 1 tank of gas? If not, the lighter in one hand and the nozzle in the other seems like a prudent idea to me.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Gas stations have always put me on high alert. Although I did something dumb this week. I was on the motorcycle, and left my helmet (full face type) on while I refueled. Peripheral vision is severely limited. A guy walked up beside me to ask for money and I never saw him coming. No big deal, but it was a good reminder for me to take the lid off and keep my head on a swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Biggest problem is most of my trips involve a stop at the VA hospital and being federal property no carry is allowed. I do carry pepper as a backup but would prefer to be armed. I have thought about checking with some of the pawnshops I know to see if they will let me pawn my EDC for a short period and pick it up after my appointment.
    Why not open an account at a local bank closest to VA Hospital and get a safety deposit box? Stop in drop off, Stop in and pick up go home. I do not see bank as place of off limits on Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Gas stations have always put me on high alert. Although I did something dumb this week. I was on the motorcycle, and left my helmet (full face type) on while I refueled. Peripheral vision is severely limited. A guy walked up beside me to ask for money and I never saw him coming. No big deal, but it was a good reminder for me to take the lid off and keep my head on a swivel.
    Dont beat youself up to bad .

I too wear full face I do take mine off and put on back seat when filling.

I could see this happing even with out helmet on do to being careful to try not to spill gas on bike.

Thanks for wake up call Ride Safe

As a retired firefighter, let me first warn anyone about the lunacy of combining a zippo (or Bic) and a gasoline nozzle unless you're more interested in putting on a grand show of self-immulation for the BGs and everyone else.

As mentioned already by others, your best primary defense is to be constantly (and noticeably) moving your head and eyes to scan all around while pumping gas, at the ATM, walking through a parking lot, or just about anywhere else you may be. Not only are you staying alert to your surroundings and quickly identifying a potential threat, but you are also maintaining and "signalling" an obvious degree of alertness that is a major deterrent to BGs who naturally want to avoid the possibility of being hurt themselves by picking out the potential victim who appears unsuspecting and/or preoccupied with something that makes them easy to catch by surprise.
    gunthorp and QKShooter like this.

I filled up in Fayetteville this Thursday and as approached by a young fellow who looked like one of the 99% occupiers. It was in the middle of the day but I've dealt with Fayetteville long enough to know daylight and crowds don't matter. As he approached my non pumping hand immediately slid into my pocket and onto my LCP. He asked to trade change for a quarter so he could put air in his tire. I told him I didn't have any change on me and he moved on to the next customer. I avoid going into Fayetteville for this very reason. It would be nice to see the local law enforcement take serious steps to address the crime in town.
    Deltacolt likes this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    three African American men, wearing hoodies and blue jeans,
    Hoodies, at night, are a crime uniform as far as I am concerned. I profile accordingly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    As a retired firefighter, let me first warn anyone about the lunacy of combining a zippo (or Bic) and a gasoline nozzle unless you're more interested in putting on a grand show of self-immulation for the BGs and everyone else.
    Thanks for mentioning that. It's the fumes that burn, not the liquid. Lighting off a stream is more than likely to turn the originator into a human torch.

Although, sans bic, the fuel pump is part of my arsenal. A good dousing is likely not expected by the perp, and if it doesn't blind him, it will certainly put him at a disadvantage.

Situation Awareness At All Times....Situation Awareness At All Times....just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Crime Alert: Robbers targeting people pumping gas | abc11.com

This has been discussed before but since I do go to Fayetteville on occasion this getting a bit too close for comfort. Biggest problem is most of my trips involve a stop at the VA hospital and being federal property no carry is allowed. I do carry pepper as a backup but would prefer to be armed. I have thought about checking with some of the pawnshops I know to see if they will let me pawn my EDC for a short period and pick it up after my appointment.
    I would get hold of any pawnshops,or mom and pop ffl's close to the VA and explain your a Vet and can't take a gun on Federal Property,then see if they can take your gun in for cleaning/repairs while you visit the VA,I'm sure you will find at least one that will help
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links