Harbor Freight driveway alarm WORKED

This is a discussion on Harbor Freight driveway alarm WORKED within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sticks Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and some discomfort sitting down for a while. Sorry to hear that. Looks like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbor Freight driveway alarm WORKED

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and some discomfort sitting down for a while.
    Sorry to hear that. Looks like this club isn't all that exclusive :-(

The claim filing went reasonably well. We have yet to see how much our rates will go up but I'm sure they will.

We have $1000.00 deductible so that was our out-of-pocket expense.

I hate thieves.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...until last month after someone decided to steal some expensive tools out of my truck. The truck was parked in our driveway."

My money says it was the same guy coming back for seconds. I had several motion detectors for my driveway floodlights, but this FL sun just kills them in no time. I make it a point to leave nothing in the vehicles and there's no fancy electronics worth taking. I may have to look into one of the detectors though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Why on earth would you leave expensive tools in your truck? I don't even like leaving my sack lunch in my car these days.

VIP Member
    I think it's very likely the same guy that came back.

Glad you lit him up, now he's got "special laundry" to do, though too bad LEO weren't close by to actually put their hands on him.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Why on earth would you leave expensive tools in your truck? I don't even like leaving my sack lunch in my car these days.
    If I worked construction, I wouldn't want to unload all of my tools every single day..

Glad to hear it works well, and I'm glad to hear you are getting out of this freezer soon!

I'd be curious to hear how this works in the cold weather of WI winter.

As far as hotel doors, you might want to check out one of those door wedge alarms like this one Amazon.com: Door Wedge Alarm: Home Improvement. I have no idea about the brands as I've never tried one, but I have heard good things about them.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Good job! Remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for"? I bought two of them myself, that way I would know their progress. It worked great for about two months before the outside sensors failed. I suspect internal condensation from the temperature swings got inside them? Like you said, there cheap enough and work well but, do not last long. I would be willing to pay much more than that for the driveway alarms if they would last several years or so.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    If I worked construction, I wouldn't want to unload all of my tools every single day..
    I see your point, but would you rather have to pay to replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I see your point, but would you rather have to pay to replace them?
    I'd rather build a nice garage with no windows to break and some serious doors.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Good job! Remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for"? I bought two of them myself, that way I would know their progress. It worked great for about two months before the outside sensors failed. I suspect internal condensation from the temperature swings got inside them? Like you said, there cheap enough and work well but, do not last long. I would be willing to pay much more than that for the driveway alarms if they would last several years or so.
    Although they are sold as driveway alerts, they are clearly NOT watertight or weather proof. I'm surprised they lasted even 2 months if they got rained on.

I once mounted one inside a coffee can to keep the water out. Unfortunately as the breeze blew tree leaves with the sun at the wrong angle, the detector interpreted that as something to alert on. It got annoying. So, it wasn't outside long enough to know if condensate would kill it or not.

No doubt weather conditions in various places will make a huge difference.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I've been using these things for years now.

The cool thing is that you can buy multiple units which use the same channels. I have 3 motion sensor heads all on channel 16 and one base unit.

One motion sensor shoots across the shop, one across the carport, and one across the back yard. The base unit sits on my nightstand.

I have them painted black to be a bit more inconspicuous.

When I'm travelling with the dirtbike in the bed of the truck, I place two heads in the bed park so the truck is near the hotel room window.

I'm in the car with the trailer, I velcro the units under the car facing aft to cover the trailer.

With this sort of setup even Robert Goulet couldn't even mess with my stuff without being noticed.

Dirty

We use a set up at work outside all year long BUT we placed the units inside a clear bag. Ah ha. No problems with the weather

VIP Member
    I keep procrastinating on getting these, as we live out in the boondocks and with just two of the kids @ home now, we/they need a heads up. I will put mine by my barn, 1/2 way to the house from the road,[300ft] and try the "inside the clear bag trick".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    We use a set up at work outside all year long BUT we placed the units inside a clear bag. Ah ha. No problems with the weather
    I was wondering if they would work through a bag since they are so inexpensive. I wasn't real sure the beam would penetrate the bag material, so it's good to know they do. I might pick one up for my steps up to my apartment. Sometimes I hear someone on the steps, sometimes I don't.

Good info, gave us some good ideas on what we can do in a couple of areas we wanted to get some type of alarm, but not spend a big chunk of money.

My motorcycle has a motion detection alarm on it. It's proven very beneficial.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links