Defensive Carry banner

I carry IN THE HOUSE now....THANKS(LOL)

9K views 72 replies 62 participants last post by  HCF 
#1 ·
After reading some of the threads in this discussion area..I'm walking around my house strapped!I live in a quiet beautiful area with a small,modern pro-active police department..but now you guys got me thinking. I carry all the time out on the street(force of habit)...but I'm typing this with my SP101 riding in my Hays IWB holster. THANKS GUYS:danceban::wink:

#2 ·
You've made a good decision. It would just be awful to be prepared everywhere but your home, and then have something happen at home where you would need it and it was on your nightstand, in a safe, in another room, etc., etc.

#6 ·
I'm carrying around the house more than I ever have in my life since joining this bunch...

Reactions: The Old Anglo
#47 ·
^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never used to have a pistol with me when out cutting the grass(on a zero steer) which takes an hour & 1/2.
Then if I do the neighbors its almost another hour.What would I do if I was cutting grass, and some hayshaker came peeping by and there was trouble?
I'd be on the outside looking in.

Ican't move quick,so I make sure I have my 1911 with me,when I went to sleep last night I had a M&P45c under my pillow,a 1911 next to my pillow,a 12 gauge semi auto with 5 00 buck next to my headboard,If I was paranoid,I woulda had an AR15 within arms reach also

^^^^^^With all due respect^^^^^^^

duk, it doesn't sound as if you left much room for momma.

#7 ·
Ican't move quick,so I make sure I have my 1911 with me,when I went to sleep last night I had a M&P45c under my pillow,a 1911 next to my pillow,a 12 gauge semi auto with 5 00 buck next to my headboard,If I was paranoid,I woulda had an AR15 within arms reach also

#9 ·
Been doing it for way over fifteen years now... Didn't start out that way, but after the first attempted home invasion, that solidified my opinion for the importance for staying prepared even at home. One thing I did come to realize over last couple of years is though. The j frame revolver makes the task much easier to tolerate. Slip it in the pocket and relax. :hand9:

#10 ·
Just make sure it stays with you in the Head,worst place to be caught with your pants down.I have 2 dedicated mossberg mavericks in both b-rooms beside the toilets,"Just Saying"!!!

Reactions: KDV
#12 ·
100% of home invaisions happen in the home.

I carry when I wear pants, and I have a teenage daughter at home so yeah I wear pants a lot.

You are welcome OP, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing our collective knowledge, opinions, expieriences, and deep thoughts are helping to make each of us just a little more aware and safer.

#13 ·
I can't get over this one problem: yes, I'm very prepared--except for when it's most likely to happen, i.e., 2 or 3 in the morning, when it's in the safe. (I have a two-year-old, so I just can't convince myself that nightstand placement is safe). I follow a policy of (1) on me or in the safe or (2) if I have to take it out and put it down momentarily, always somewhere up very high and/or unloaded. At night, given my house's very sound proof floors/walls, I think it's conceivable that someone could be in my house and coming up the stairs before I would necessarily notice, so it would be hard to get my safe open in time. The other thought I've had is just putting up a shelf near the ceiling above the headboard of my bed, so that only an adult standing on the bed could reach it. Still, there is something about leaving a loaded gun unsecured anywhere in a house with a child that skeezes me out.

Hm, maybe I just convinced myself I need an alarm system?

#16 ·
I never considered carrying at home until I joined this forum and learned a LOT! Now, I am either carrying at home or have a gun within arms reach 99.9% of the time. I agree with the comment about how easy it is to slip a J-frame into a pocket, and do so frequently, but generally prefer to carry my 1911. It just "feels right" in my hand and packs a bit more of a punch.:image035:

#17 ·
My wife used to make fun of me.... and then she started paying attention to the news. She likes it now.

#21 ·
-
With a light-weight firearm & a comfortable holster, it really isn't a burden.

#25 ·
We don't have kids but kids do visit 3 Mossy's in 3 different rooms not chambered and safety on and hidden. If a 6 yr old finds it in the hidden place he is going to have to rack the slide and I will be on him in 5 secs then he will need to manipulate the safety. That's just our set up

#31 ·
Just my humble opinion but......I would not under estimate a kids ability to find hidden stuff or rack the slide. At age 6 they have probably seen it done on television enough times to figure it out.
I would at least remove the shells while they were visiting...:smile:

Reactions: MnemonicMonkey
#26 ·
The last thing my wife needs to be worrying about when she's trying to keep some thug(s) from pushing their way in is "can she get to her gun?"

We both are armed with a gun on our person, everyday, even inside the house or out in the front/back yard.

We've really only been doing this for the last two years. But with the viciousness of how home invasions are going these days, just having a gun out in the room isn't good enough anymore.

Reactions: The Old Anglo
#27 ·
The last thing my wife needs to be worrying about when she's trying to keep some thug(s) from pushing their way in is "can she get to her gun?"

We both are armed with a gun on our person, everyday, even inside the house or out in the front/back yard.

We've really only been doing this for the last two years. But with the viciousness of how home invasions are going these days, just having a gun out in the room isn't good enough anymore.

+1 Thoroughly agree with that one.

#28 ·
I have used the mini vault with the key override. That way I don't have to remember a combo, and a twist of the key is quicker. If I don't want the loaded 45 on body (less than 1% of the time, like when I'm watching the Vikings), and the safe is more than at arm's length, I pop the key. It isn't mounted, so I can move it into the BR at night, if it isn't already there. Since I sleep soundly, and my hearing isn't the greatest anymore, I rely on the dogs to provide a little advanced notice of any problems. I figure that twisting the key is enough to clear the cobwebs of a deep sleep before handling a fully loaded 1911. There's no need to be fumbling around in the dark without fine motor skills and loose "j"ammunition.

#67 ·
I don't own yet but I'm planning on it after some training. I've gotten some push back from my wife. I'll prevail but she's going to really think I've gone off the deep end if I start carrying in the house. After all, "We live in a safe neighborhood." and "We have a security system." Yeah, right.

#34 ·
I should carry more around the house. But I live in an apartment and they have to get through the locked apartment doors, and than through my locked doors also. So unless they were coming after me than I don't think i'd be in to much danger. Maybe I am just being naive, but i only have 4 neighbors that have access to this building... input anyone on apartment living?

#35 ·
You might have a litte extra security with the kind of apartment you're in but if you ask me, you're putting a lot of faith in not only your neighbors but also the people that come to see them. Who's to say they won't let someone in that goes off for whatever reason? Just a thought...

#36 ·
I keep a flashlight and gun within arms reach when I sleep. If i go out and drink after work, I can't bring the weapon home. I have a big knife under my pillow in a sheath, or I probably wouldn't sleep well. I've just seen too much to feel like it can't/won't happen to me. I'm changing things so I will have a safe at home and can keep a shotgun there.
If I'm in the shower the firearm's on the toilet. We're a cute couple.
Nothing matches a a gun at hand for being safe anywhere. Expect things to get crazy and be ready is my approach.

#37 ·
My weapons are all in the safe. I've got a couple of dogs (loud, not dangerous). I usually remember to lock the doors; but, when I do leave the doors unlocked, the UPS man can stick packages inside the the house as opposed to leaving them on the stoop; I kinda like that. Yesterday I had a revolver out and handy, but only because there was a specific threat I was aware of. Today it is back in the safe.

If someone breaks into my house with an assault rifle or shotgun, I'm pretty much screwed. I do have a good sized knife handy...if in the closet is 'handy'...so all other intruders face the risk of losing a big chunk of liver. Of course I can sleep through anything (even a mortar attack in Afghanistan), so the knife might not do me much good either.

I do have a stout stick near the back door. I suppose that could be useful if something were to occur, but I live in pretty safe town. There is very little violent crime here. We did have a shooting a few months ago, but that was...surprise, surprise...a "crime of passion". So keeping the weapons in the safe ensures that my wife is not likely to shoot me and there ain't much else to worry about.

#38 ·
We also live in a small town, with no crime other than teens doing dumb stuff like spray painting road signs. I still carry in the house all the time. If my home is the first to be invaded I don't want to be caught unprepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.