Apartment defense legal question

This is a discussion on Apartment defense legal question within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When it comes to defending yourself in your home (castle doctrine, etc), does it make any sort of legal difference if you're living in a ...

Thread: Apartment defense legal question

Apartment defense legal question

When it comes to defending yourself in your home (castle doctrine, etc), does it make any sort of legal difference if you're living in a rented apartment (meaning you're not the "home owner")?

I'm guessing it wouldn't make a difference, because my name is on the lease, but I figured I'd ask.

Also, my lease and landlord says nothing about having a firearm in the apartment. I've never told him that I own one, so I'm sure he doesn't know. Could that cause any sort of legal problems?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It doesn't matter a hill of beans whether you own or rent. Your home is your home, and it could be Alf's name on the lease. Thats a civil document that doesn't mean squat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good point. Thanks for the quick reply.

As Sixto said, it is your home. I know Ohio law specifically forbids a landlord from not letting someone have firearms in their apartment. Look up the utah code and see if it says anything similar.

Really using your logic, someone with a mortgage on a house could be denied from having firearms by the bank. Bottom line, you pay to have that space as your residence, so it is your domicile.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You bring up another interesting point thought. At least in my state, the landlord does have the right to stipulate that no firearms are to be on the property.

AG: Landlords can ban guns of permit holders Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    You bring up another interesting point thought. At least in my state, the landlord does have the right to stipulate that no firearms are to be on the property.

AG: Landlords can ban guns of permit holders Knoxville News Sentinel

Man that JUST AIN'T RIGHT. Then again if you ever have to shoot someone a pissed off landlord would be down the list quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Man that JUST AIN'T RIGHT. Then again if you ever have to shoot someone a pissed off landlord would be down the list quite a bit.
    I've not seen a problem with it so far. The original opinion was the result of a University of Tennessee student who lived in off campus housing and had a handgun permit. Firearms aren't allowed on campus and since the University system owned the apartments, they extended the ban to the off campus housing. The student protested and the ruling came down from the attorney general which affected not only the student but every other renter in the state of Tennessee.

If you have guns, keep your mouth shut around your landlord.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Links