Security camera for front porch...suggestions?

This is a discussion on Security camera for front porch...suggestions? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm seriously considering a security camera(s) for front porch and possibly other outside areas. Anyone have suggestions for brands, systems, etc? A simple front porch ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1911srule
  • 1 Post By SmokinLawyer

Thread: Security camera for front porch...suggestions?

I'm seriously considering a security camera(s) for front porch and possibly other outside areas. Anyone have suggestions for brands, systems, etc?
    A simple front porch application with a monitor just inside the door would be better than the existing peep hole.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I use a unit sold by Harbor Freight made by Bunker Hill. It`s a four channel system,4 cameras and also works in Infrared for night stuff. It works well for me.

VIP Member
    Years ago I bought something from Sam's; brand name is Nortech Security. They are still around and can be found at Amazon, and maybe still at Sams, who knows.

Mine have lasted for quite a few years, do an excellent job in very low light, and have rather sensitive microphones. On Halloween when some sensors went off that I thought should not have, I turned on my cameras and could hear the little kiddos giggling off in the street about 80 feet away. I can see what is going on in my garage with just the ambient light that drifts in from my neighbor's front door lights across the street---that's not much light.

I think we paid about 110 bucks for two cameras and I have no idea what they go for today.

Someone mentioned Harbor Freight. I've had really good luck with lots of their stuff and am a big
    Harbor Freight fan. Their store happens to be convenient for me and is often my first stop.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I use a unit sold by Harbor Freight made by Bunker Hill. It`s a four channel system,4 cameras and also works in Infrared for night stuff. It works well for me.
    How is the picture quality with that? Is it clear enough to ID someone from 30 feet?

Definitely use a hard wired system! AVOID 2.4 ghz or other wireless cams! OR you will be effectively bugging yourself. I used one of these during a serious issue involving harassment and worse from some vermin. Next door neighbor had a baby monitor and clearly heard everything we discussed on that side of the house. When we discovered it shortly after(thankfully) we were pretty embarrassed. It did have some entertainment value though, watching neighbor walk out with his portable monitor to listen in with a better signal. Bottom line it damaged neighbor relations....permanently. So dont...
    Eagleks likes this.

Thanks 1911....that's pretty important info!

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    How is the picture quality with that? Is it clear enough to ID someone from 30 feet?
    Yup,perfect in daylight,good enough in IR. Cops can do wonders with enhancement.

I thought about this as well but my security company locally owned here installs for $300 and they keep it all on a database up to weeks back. Seems logical to me if you have an alarm system try to see if they offer this. I also see a whole set at Costco every time I go that I have looked at for $400. Four cameras dvr and monitor and all the wiring. Looks like its pretty nice stuff.

I'm installing this system Defender | 8 Channel H.264 Smart DVR Security Systemwith Coaching iMenu and 8 Indoor/Outdoor Hi-Res CCD Night Vision Surveillance Cameras | SN301-8CH, It's a bit much for just a door monitor. I purchased it off amazon for $499. I set it up in the den to test it out and it works as well as some of the $3k+ (actually easier to setup) units that I have installed in my previous job. So far the only things I could complain about is the camera mount is weak, you have to be careful not to tighten it too much and the cables fro the cameras are kinda wimpy.
    You can access it remotely either using IE or a smart phone. So far for the price I can't complain one bit for I knew of the mounting and cable issues before I purchased it.
    I almost forgot this feature that I really like; you can setup up email alerts and it will send a snapshot to your phone, which I really like.

Just don't make the mistake of mounting the cameras high. I've had occasion to view more than 400 surveillance videos and, almost invariably, the cameras are mounted high and show a great view of the top of the perp's baseball cap or hoodie. Use more than one camera, mount 'em about chin high and camouflage them. That way you'll actually get usable video. Good luck with your project.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

I like Sony color lipstick cams. Called what they're because they resemble a lipstick tube. They have a built in lens that can be purchased wide or zoomed in. I like the simple mount and weatherproof enclosure. I use four at my home on a four channel recorder.I spent about 1259 per camera. I like that they make great pictures day or night. My cameras are hard cabled to the deck. I tested microwave transmitters and found that my neighborhood is full of wireless cams. I fear a bad guy with a small tv and wireless receiver could gain the advantage so I chose to go wired.

Sorry tried to edit. My cams were 125 dollars each.

BJs.com had a set with 8 cams/500g hard drive. motion activated with night vision. Itwas on sale for $360 about a month ago. I installed it and it was easy. Internet and smart phone access as well. I am very happy. It is made by qsee and the model #is QS408.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Links