fatal funnel

fatal funnel

This is a discussion on fatal funnel within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is a staircase leading to the bedroom door in my apartment. Where is the best strategic position to defend home? The room is 12 ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene83
  • 1 Post By zacii
  • 1 Post By zacii

Thread: fatal funnel

fatal funnel

There is a staircase leading to the bedroom door in my apartment. Where is the best strategic position to defend home? The room is 12 x 10.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 14th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Always better to have the high ground, so I would say at the top of the stairs!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

i am wondering where in the room (at high ground) to take posistion. to the sides or directly at the top of the staircase?

I've got about the same situation. Bedrooms are at the top of the stairs and the stairs make a right angle turn about 2/3 up the staircase. I put a motion sensor at the bottom to alert me if anyone starts up the stairs at night.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

in your bedroom, behind your mattress, with a Saiga 12 and a 50 round drum of 00 Buck.
    jem102 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have three bedrooms at the top of my stairs, I prefer to be on the left side of my stairs if I'm looking down. Being right handed I can hide more of my body using the concealment (not cover, it's wood) of the door frame but still get enough of my weapon out to be effective. My stairs are steep and enclosed with a very narrow landing at the bottom. Thinking about it now with a motion detector at the bottom I would have the advantage from the top of the stairs. Make sure you can throw lots of whatever you are using to defend from there. By that I mean be sure you can be agile and put lead out toward most angles, use the right size gun for your quarters. How this helps.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    in your bedroom, behind your mattress, with a Saiga 12 and a 50 round drum of 00 Buck.
    Well, come on now a box of 25 would most likely "get er done."
    seriously I agree. When the door flies open start launching them, that would be the BG's, off the landing with those little doses of .33 cal. balls at 9 each. When the second one hits the floor at the bottom with a splat the rest of the home invasion crew will most likely decide to try the next apartment.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    No offense, but a mattress is NOT protective cover!

You do need to think good cover though. You also need to think visibility & distance.

The further away you can engage a threat the better you'll be. This means being able to observe as much area as possible while remaining hidden; preferably behind some type of "REAL" cover.

You also need to be aware of "blindside" approaches to you position. (These are places where someone can get close; but remain undetected.)

The thing about small rooms is they also limit "YOUR" ability to take cover when the bullets beging to fly. If it's not a poperly designed "SAFE" room with reinforced walls and doors, you could be in a world of HURT in a firefight.

That's why we say the BEST way to survive a gunfight is NOT be get into one; LEAVE/ESCAPE is possible. If you have to fight, try to fight from a REAL position of "cover". (Remember, a mattress is NOT cover!)

If I was having to fight inside a bedroom, I would want to be behind a dresser or chest-of-drawers PACKED full of clothes. I would really want to have an escape route through a window or into a "fortified" bathroom or closet. (I mean a real "SAFE" room with lockable, reinforced doors that are also bullet resistant. I would also want bullet resistant walls if possible. At the very least I would want some type of bullet resistent obsticles placed against the "attack" side wall of said "SAFE" room. )

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    No offense, but a mattress is NOT protective cover!

You do need to think good cover though. You also need to think visibility & distance.

The further away you can engage a threat the better you'll be. This means being able to observe as much area as possible while remaining hidden; preferably behind some type of "REAL" cover.

You also need to be aware of "blindside" approaches to you position. (These are places where someone can get close; but remain undetected.)

The thing about small rooms is they also limit "YOUR" ability to take cover when the bullets beging to fly. If it's not a poperly designed "SAFE" room with reinforced walls and doors, you could be in a world of HURT in a firefight.

That's why we say the BEST way to survive a gunfight is NOT be get into one; LEAVE/ESCAPE is possible. If you have to fight, try to fight from a REAL position of "cover". (Remember, a mattress is NOT cover!)

If I was having to fight inside a bedroom, I would want to be behind a dresser or chest-of-drawers PACKED full of clothes. I would really want to have an escape route through a window or into a "fortified" bathroom or closet. (I mean a real "SAFE" room with lockable, reinforced doors that are also bullet resistant. I would also want bullet resistant walls if possible. At the very least I would want some type of bullet resistent obsticles placed against the "attack" side wall of said "SAFE" room. )
    "Zacii", I take it back about the 50 round drum. "mragame", better sleep in your car, I don't think the complex manager is going to go for the mods.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

A mattress isn't the best, but I sold all my dressers to make room for my 129" tv and x-box, so I can play video games night and day.

You know, 'cause that's good training for real life

tcox4freedom likes this.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm looking for a 50rd drum for my S-12. But, I can only find 20 rounders. Do you have a link to a supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I'm looking for a 50rd drum for my S-12. But, I can only find 20 rounders. Do you have a link to a supplier?
    Honestly, I was being facetious with that post. I don't know if 50 rounders exist, or not.

I messed around on Google for a minute and found some hits for 30 rounders, but 20s are the norm.

I guess we'll have to velcro at least six 20 round magazines under my mattress to effectively cover the stairs

Honestly, I was being facetious with that post. I don't know if 50 rounders exist, or not.

I messed around on Google for a minute and found some hits for 30 rounders, but 20s are the norm.

I guess we'll have to velcro at least six 20 round magazines under my mattress to effectively cover the stairs
    I thought you might be talking a little tounge in cheek.

The Saiga12 takes 20rd mags. There is a 30rd mag for a Saiga 20ga. I think they did make 30round, 40rd & 50round magazines for a Saiga 410. But, I'm not sure anyone is making them now. (However, all THREE Saiga shotguns are bad mamajamas; and a heckuva lot of fun to shoot!)

What you could do is get your Saiga set up to accept a "belt" fed magazine. Then you could throw the belt over your shoulder and do it "RAMBO" style. -

Staircase leading to the bedroom. How is it angled? Is it straight up, spiral, have a landing?
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

Links