positive identification

This is a discussion on positive identification within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FL law presumes I'm in fear for my life. What's that tell you?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: positive identification

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL law presumes I'm in fear for my life. What's that tell you?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

say trick or treat and give him a snickers bar

Since there are only 2,I would ask them how they like their eggs and toast.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    two masked guys in your apartment uninvited in the middle of the night and you need to ask "What would you do"? Pfffff!!!!!

hopefully they brought their own body bags.
    'Nough said.

Seriously though. Are these types of questions/scenerios even neccessary?

1. To address the "practical joke" situation. Guess what? I suggest no one come into my home, my bedroom in the middle of the night trying to prank me. Won't end well for them. Would hate to bury a friend or relative, but they should have known better. And that is 100% real talk. I can live with the consequences. Unfortunately, for their stupidity, they won't.

2. Castle Doctrine or not. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6. Masked men, in my home, with my family? Someone or more than one someone is not leaving alive. No questions, no decisions, no after thought.

Sometimes I can't believe that anyone would even think there is a decision to be made in this type of situation.
    jem102, TVille, atctimmy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    'Nough said.

1. To address the "practical joke" situation. Guess what? I suggest no one come into my home, my bedroom in the middle of the night trying to prank me. Won't end well for them. Would hate to bury a friend or relative, but they should have known better. And that is 100% real talk. I can live with the consequences. Unfortunately, for their stupidity, they won't.

2. Castle Doctrine or not. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6. Masked men, in my home, with my family? Someone or more than one someone is not leaving alive. No questions, no decisions, no after thought.

Sometimes I can't believe that anyone would even think there is a decision to be made in this type of situation.
    Well said and welcome aboard from another in the Volunteer state.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    'Nough said.

The decision which has to be made is not really shoot or not shoot. It is --as I tried to point out-- hardening your home a bit so you don't get a surprise.

Someone else pointed out that if you are caught by surprise by two people you are probably badly out of luck anyway. So, don't make life easy for a potential intruder. Fercryinoutloud, you can buy a decent door guard bar for little more than what it costs to fire off 50 rounds at a rental range. Which one will really give you more protection when you are asleep?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Are they clown masks? I really hate clowns.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    This thread strikes me as weird. The OP only has a total of 5 posts, including the two he made in this thread. The question is a little off too. As if there could be any other possibility other than a lethal force encounter when two masked men suddenly appear in your bedroom at night.

This thread feels like an anti gun troll floating a loaded question to get a prescribed response. Then said troll goes back to his anti friends and talks about how bloodthirsty this forum is.
    jem102 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since there are only 2,I would ask them how they like their eggs and toast.
    Bad you! You forgot the coffee and the jelly

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This thread strikes me as weird. The OP only has a total of 5 posts, including the two he made in this thread. The question is a little off too. As if there could be any other possibility other than a lethal force encounter when two masked men suddenly appear in your bedroom at night.

This thread feels like an anti gun troll floating a loaded question to get a prescribed response. Then said troll goes back to his anti friends and talks about how bloodthirsty this forum is.
    I agree, something smells fishy here.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My thoughts are quite similar to yours.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Swat team at the wrong house? just kidding. sorta

Michael

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Your instincts seem to be supported by the posts made by the OP, which aside from his welcome post are a couple of similarly terse and odd, strategic questions.

In any case, in response to jem102's comment regarding my earlier post:
    Does NV have a castle doctrine? If yes, all you need to know. If no, what "noway" has posted should see you clear in court.
    The following comes right out of Massad Ayoob's book of concealed carry (The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry). Regardless of your opinion of him, I think his years as an LEO and prosecutor give him some expertise in this subject. From the book:
    Go back to the way the prosecutor cross-examined me in this case. She was trying to get me to say that if you pull a gun on a man you have reason to believe is going to criminally shoot you with a gun of his own and he turns out to be unarmed, its wrong. Well as I explained that's pure and simple BS. The law has never demanded that the bad guy actually have a gun, or that gun be real instead of fake, loaded instead of empty, operable instead of broken. All the law has ever demanded in so far as the attacker being armed is that he manifest his intent - his obvious intent, as manifested by his words and actions - be such that any prudent person would be reasonable to conclude that he was indeed capable of killing you.
    In the same section of the book, he discusses a court case where an LEO was charged in a shooting. The prosecutor claimed that he should have waited until he saw a gun. Massad Ayoob responded with:
    If you wait to see the gun, your going to see what comes out of it. I then did a demonstration and showed the jury how quickly a gun could be drawn from a waistband when carried as it was found on the dying subject's body
    Jem102 is correct that in the absence of castle doctrine, that shooting a home invader may send you to court. Without castle doctrine you may wind up in court even if they do have a weapon and you recorded them breaking in and saying "I'm here to kill you." It doesn't mean that your actions were not justified.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Scenario not well worded (walked into apartment/coming into bedroom, lights on or off?) but I will give the benefit of the doubt that this is not a troll but a genuine question. Not the title of the thread is "positive identification."

Are you armed? If not you're screwed. You're either diving for a weapon while being shot at, in a 2/1 physical fight, or negotiating with bad people as you get beat and tied up.

Do you have a reasonable expectation that someone might be coming into your apartment/bedroom dressed in this manner that you SHOULD NOT shoot? This is the first question you should answer for yourself.

Kobayashi Maru.

Alter the rules of the game.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Scenario not well worded (walked into apartment/coming into bedroom, lights on or off?) but I will give the benefit of the doubt that this is not a troll but a genuine question. Not the title of the thread is "positive identification."

Are you armed? If not you're screwed. You're either diving for a weapon while being shot at, in a 2/1 physical fight, or negotiating with bad people as you get beat and tied up.

Do you have a reasonable expectation that someone might be coming into your apartment/bedroom dressed in this manner that you SHOULD NOT shoot? This is the first question you should answer for yourself.

Kobayashi Maru.

Alter the rules of the game.
    In a perfect world this is how it should be.

Michael

3D
    Get real!!!

This is precisely the one time I would not hesitate to shoot!!! ..... a lot!!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links