positive identification

This is a discussion on positive identification within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Scenario is a BG enters your apt and when they first walk into sight they are wearing full head mask. There is no sign of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: positive identification

positive identification

Scenario is a BG enters your apt and when they first walk into sight they are wearing full head mask. There is no sign of weapon yet one guy has his hand behind his back. Oh and they are 10 feet away as they just opened the bedroom door..... What would you do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    How many guys are we talking about here?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Masked entering the bedroom...BANG BANG, flop.

two entering quickly

with 2 BGs, same response as the first, except maybe an extra bang. Also, if they have managed to get into my bedroom past my German ShepherD, I am going to assume they harmed it and intend on doing the same to me. The only ID i would need/want to see from those to BGs is the toe tag at the coroners office.

two masked guys in your apartment uninvited in the middle of the night and you need to ask "What would you do"? Pfffff!!!!!

hopefully they brought their own body bags.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mragame View Post
    Scenario is a BG enters your apt and when they first walk into sight they are wearing full head mask. There is no sign of weapon yet one guy has his hand behind his back. Oh and they are 10 feet away as they just opened the bedroom door..... What would you do?
    Let's see... Ask them if they are armed and why they are wearing masks. If they intend to rob you, make them promise that they wont hurt you in the process....

Nah - bang/bang, bang/bang - flop/flop.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The justification to use lethal force doesn't necessitate that you see a weapon, but rather that a (legally) reasonable person would believe, given the totality of the circumstance, that it was a situation involving the threat of great bodily harm, sexual assault, or death. Wearing masks and having hands behind back, are clear indications of intent to conceal both identity, and ability (to do harm). I believe most any reasonable person would realize that in said scenario they are up to no good. If by "enters your apt" you mean that they have entered YOUR residence, then the expectation of threat is clear and present.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    How did they get past the dogs and the burglar alarm?

This can't be a serious question. Really? What should I do? Make them a pot of tea?

If you even have to think about what to do it's too late. You should have defended yourself and now because you're thinking about defending your own home they have the advantage.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    The justification to use lethal force doesn't necessitate that you see a weapon, but rather that a (legally) reasonable person would believe, given the totality of the circumstance, that it was a situation involving the threat of great bodily harm, sexual assault, or death. Wearing masks and having hands behind back, are clear indications of intent to conceal both identity, and ability (to do harm). I believe most any reasonable person would realize that in said scenario they are up to no good. If by "enters your apt" you mean that they have entered YOUR residence, then the expectation of threat is clear and present.
    Does NV have a castle doctrine? If yes, all you need to know. If no, what "noway" has posted should see you clear in court.

This is your home we are speaking of...this type question should have been thought through long before the decision to go armed IMO.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Though basically agreeing with most of the answers here, there is always the off chance that you are the victim of a practical joke or of an innocent event which you misconstrue.

Just for discussion here and playing devil's advocate--- How' d they get in without making a lot of noise in the first place? Someone have a key?

Uh, its your stupid son in-law who had a key. It was 15 degrees outside with a wind chill of -20, and he was wearing a mask to protect himself. There was a gift in his hand behind his back, and you came out of the bedroom before he had a chance to remove the mask or open his mouth. Bang Bang and your daughter will never forgive you or you forgive yourself.

In the OP's scenario the odds are that if you don't shoot your offspring will be attending your funeral, but there is a tiny tiny tiny off chance of a horrid mistake.

Solution--
    Make sure no one can enter your house without creating a lot of loud noise in the first place. Even if friends and neighbors and relatives and landlords have keys, use a door bar so there are no surprises.

If your landlord has the key, use a chain, an alarm and a door bar when you are sleeping.

Better the FD/police break in during an emergency than a bad misunderstanding.

We've all read too many sad stories about a home owner shooting a son, daughter, or other relative who came home unexpectedly.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hopy makes a salient point.

My perspective is based on an extremely secure home environment where it is highly unlikely that a practical joker can 'sneak in'.

I remember in my younger college/apartment days where it was more of community environment. Such factors significantly affect one's response.

GM
    Is this a tricky question? You must be joking; right . Two BGs wearing full head mask enter my apartment and you ask what I should do?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My question is did I have some warning they were coming or did they just surprise me? If they just surprised me and there is 2 of them realistically I would say I'd be SOL. If they didn't just surprise me, then I'd have a pistol in hand,and they would be complete fools to come thru the door without IDing their selves first. My friends know how I feel about self=protection and the use of a tool to achieve it.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links