Major victory with family

This is a discussion on Major victory with family within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the last 18 months my two sisters and their families have been strongly against my carrying in their homes. The thing that bugged me ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 3 Post By 357and40

Thread: Major victory with family

For the last 18 months my two sisters and their families have been strongly against my carrying in their homes. The thing that bugged me the most about this is the fact that both homes have firearms in them (one has a Ruger Mini 14 his dad left to him and the other is the brother in law that took me hunting for the first time, took me shooting for the first time & has a handful of long guns & an AMAZING Franchi 12 gauge.) Why I never put 2 & 2 together & tried this vein in the past is beyond me... Anyway...

I had a major breakthrough today. My eldest sister expressed that she is not scared of a firearm, but rather the potential for it going off through no persons fault. She did not care about the statistics or any rational point I could make. I asked a simple question: "So would it still bother you if when in your home I carried without a round in the chamber?" I was shocked. She gave it the stamp of approval. She told me she would advocate to my other sister and would sway the rest of the family to allow it in their homes.

I am not fond of not having a round in the chamber, but I will count this as absolutely a compromise I can live with and not feel that my rights have been upset in the least.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Nice! It's progress and that is good. I've noticed that my spouse was initially shocked I carried in the home ...now it's no big deal and she brags about it to our friends.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it is good that you have identified the problem.

but the more you handle a gun, the greater the chance for an 'event'
    ask the pilot who discharged his Sig in the cabin because of bad rules--and lousy luck
    no, i do not mean 'luck' as in "mishandling a firearm" may cause it to fire.

it is loaded when i put it on and it is loaded if i need it and when i take it off.
    it is in a good holster and if i do not touch it all day; that is a normal day.

i would not unload a gun in a car before i went into someones home.
    off-loading it in the confines of a vehicle may be cause to sweep yourself or others
    or being observed by others in the vicinity who may call in a MWAG
    and than it must be charged when you leave later and put back on your person.

remove it still in the holster and lock it in the car or not go in.
    MattInFla likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

wow. That is major progress. Is your sister going to check your weapon to make sure that no round is chambered?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Im glad that you identified the root of her fear, but I personally do not see it as a victory just yet. The purpose of a self defense handgun is to have it ready, you know this already. You need to address the cause of the fear. Guns just dont go off, again you know this already. Keep working at it, Im sure you will have your victory, right now I see it as a hurdle that has been jumped.....Just my .02
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    My brothers, sisters, their families and my in-laws don't know I carry.

VIP Member
    I agree with zonker1986

Keep the round chambered so that you are not having to load/unload repeatedly, she won't know, yet she will still feel "safer".
    Last edited by sigmanluke; November 17th, 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It's a start, but I'd keep at it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Switch to a revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer... Same "effect" but no need to bring to battery, just pull the trigger. DA of course. Carry a New York reload in the same condition.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    wow. That is major progress. Is your sister going to check your weapon to make sure that no round is chambered?
    She guaranteed me that she would take me at my word. As a result I will be good to my word. Trust & faith are something I do not take lightly. It is the best I can possibly hope for out of my family. It was the difference between me going to family gatherings & not.
    Tzadik, oakchas and Buckj like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

And who's going to check the gun to see if a round is really in there or not ?? LOL. But, I would honor their request if it met an agreeable solution.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think that is really what it is about Eagleks. Mom is 76 and dad died earlier this year at 76. If they are willing to bend a little bit & that means I am going to be able to carry around them, I will take it.
    - Roy Batty

Sponsored Links