Home invasion: by posers

This is a discussion on Home invasion: by posers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just 'cause someone says "POLICE! Open UP!" or whatever... make sure first... Story here As an aside... the homeowner was shot in the head, managed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Home invasion: by posers

Home invasion: by posers

Just 'cause someone says "POLICE! Open UP!" or whatever... make sure first...

Story here

As an aside... the homeowner was shot in the head, managed to escape and was found in front of another home (must have been shot by WWB, but that's another story)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes it IS police that are at the wrong address. See link.

Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lady was defending her own home.
    Last edited by high pockets; November 20th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Scary stuff, either way: not cops or cops at wrong address. My impression from news reporting is that most of the police impersonators are "raiding" rival dealers but, that is an uneducated observation.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Considering the self-defense mindset of people these days and the increase in "poser" home invasions, I consider it law enforcement's firm duty to ensure they have the right address before busting down any door. As a reasonable person, I don't feel I could convict anyone who shot a LEO who broke down the wrong door, even though someone was shouting "Police!" I know for a fact there is no reason for anyone to kick my door. Law enforcement negligence is never an excuse.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    This is something I`ve been wondering about. Scenario is ....your in bed asleep,BOOM on the door and now feet are pounding down the hall,you have your weapon in your hand ready to go. They yelled "Police" as they busted in ...What to do??. I`m opening fire untill I know for SURE who it is. What would you do???. Too many Hoodies do the "Police" yell around here and I don`t want to be a victim either way. Any help Appreciated.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    This is something I`ve been wondering about. Scenario is ....your in bed asleep,BOOM on the door and now feet are pounding down the hall,you have your weapon in your hand ready to go. They yelled "Police" as they busted in ...What to do??. I`m opening fire untill I know for SURE who it is. What would you do???. Too many Hoodies do the "Police" yell around here and I don`t want to be a victim either way. Any help Appreciated.
    I am afraid the only answer is: damned if you do; damned if you don't. I have actually contemplated the scenario that you pose and do not have a good answer. I'll be interested to hear others response.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Like Oldvet said..If your in good standing with the Law there is no reason that the police should kick your door in. Personally, I live in a two story home, I will have a second or two to decide if they are real officers or posers. If real gun goes down, if posers, well we all know the answer. I have formulated a game plan for this type of scenario and have a tactical plan for my home. My only suggestion would be to formulate a tactical run thru for your homes. Shooting lanes, safe rooms, and all the angles that come with it. There of course is no set guide line, every home is different. Once in place, train it and train it hard. You and your family should be on the same page.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I mentioned on another thread that with thugs posing as police, and no-knock police posing as thugs, it can be very confusing. The post got deleted, but the sentiment remains.
    jace33 likes this.

Police raiding a wrong residence is not uncommon and generally does not get reported in the press unless there's a significant altercation to report. In many rural counties in the U.S. such as mine, it's even hard for a sheriff's deputy to find an address, much less the correct one. I listen all the time to the police scanner and especially at night they arrive at the wrong place. The county is also prime real estate for meth production. As far as police impersonation breaking down your door to gain entry, I'm afraid at a minimum you lost precious seconds if it is a BG. And if it is the real police, chances are you are going to get shot if you have a weapon in your hand. Like stated above, "damed if you do, damned if you don't".

VIP Member
    Always a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kinda thing.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am afraid the only answer is: damned if you do; damned if you don't. I have actually contemplated the scenario that you pose and do not have a good answer. I'll be interested to hear others response.
    If I were to make that kind of a forced entry into an occupied house. Yelling police as I entered would greatly increase my odds of success.

Michael

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the cops raid the wrong house (yours) and you think it's an armed invasion by BGs (and you may very well do so), the outcome is going to be nasty for someone should you "defend" yourself. Where the fault lies will most likely be in the jury's hands . . . if you survive. What's a person to do?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If the cops raid the wrong house (yours) and you think it's an armed invasion by BGs (and you may very well do so), the outcome is going to be nasty for someone should you "defend" yourself. Where the fault lies will most likely be in the jury's hands . . . if you survive. What's a person to do?
    We know where the fault lies. I think the real question is what do we do about that? If its my castle, and Im allowed to defend it. Then let me, no matter what. They pick the wrong house, then they are breaking into my castle, I will do what is necessary.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We know where the fault lies. I think the real question is what do we do about that? If its my castle, and Im allowed to defend it. Then let me, no matter what. They pick the wrong house, then they are breaking into my castle, I will do what is necessary.
    Amen Harryball!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    And you would probably end up either dead or incarcerated.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links