Home invasions on the rise

This is a discussion on Home invasions on the rise within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to the article there are some 8,000 home invasions EVERY DAY ! But the FBI says violent crime is down... and ... well nevermind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Home invasions on the rise

According to the article there are some 8,000 home invasions EVERY DAY! But the FBI says violent crime is down... and ... well nevermind here's the article...

Link
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Call me skeptical but...

1st What is the FBI's definition of violent crime. Is it a factual definition or is it based on political needs. Have any crimes been left out that were normally reported in the past?

2nd What does the insurance industry that is putting out this number consider a home invasion.

Michael

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A home invasion presumes an occupied home; otherwise, it's a buglary. And it does seem to becoming more common.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A home invasion presumes an occupied home; otherwise, it's a buglary. And it does seem to becoming more common.
    Agreed about the occupied home... but 8,000 a day?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Damn...at that rate I may need more ammo.
    Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    dudester likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Which is why I question their findings and how they got them.

Michael

I believe that criminal activity goes in cycles with the flow of our economy. We tend to see a rise in theft, robbery and that type of crime when the economy is in a downturn. More and more people are not working and the desperate ones's turn to theft. So, therefore yes, we do see a rise in that kind of activity now due to our sour economy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    We don't know anything about the size of the sampling...could be worldwide for all the info that was given in the article.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

A headline that would be much better.

"Death for Home Invaders On The Rise From Being Shot By Gun Owning Homeowner."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    A headline that would be much better.

"Death for Home Invaders On The Rise From Being Shot By Gun Owning Homeowner."
    Now that is a headline I like much better! And if that headline were published in enough papers across the country and often enough, I bet there would be a decline in the number of future home invasions!
    97tbird likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Moderator
    Keep in mind that the alphabet soup agencys work off of statistics that are at least a year old, in many cases two years old.

It could be that crime is up or down, but they wont actually "see it" till a couple of years later.

With that being said, Little Rock, AR. had a rash of home invasions last year. After several of the invaders got blown out their shoes by homeowners, the home invasion fad litteraly died down pretty quick.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

After several of the invaders got blown out their shoes by homeowners
    That is a pretty unmistakeable message, even to the "more challenged" amongst us.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." — Sun Tzu
    I love that!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

While I do dispute the actual number used, we have seen many more home invasions in our little town, "where nothing ever happens". 4 that I can think of over the last month that resulted in a couple of severe beatings, robbery and a murder where the perpetrator killed an 80 year old couple. The man with a crossbow and the woman with a hatchet, who was lying on her floor for several hours, then transported to the hospital where she died of her wounds a few days later. The killer told friends that he had killed two demons and taken their truck.

The numbers may be inflated, but at least it's scaring people into awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    We don't know anything about the size of the sampling...could be worldwide for all the info that was given in the article.
    The statistics I've read say North America. Seems impossible.

Senior Moderator
    The statistics I've read say North America. Seems impossible.
    If you factor in the crack head element in the big citys and the other druggies that smash and crash each others pads, it could actually be an understatment.

One crack head smashing down the door and holding another crackhead at gun point while one of his buddies looks for the money that he owes could actually be reported as a "home invasion."
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links