Do you get the local paper and how is it delivered? - Page 2

Do you get the local paper and how is it delivered?

This is a discussion on Do you get the local paper and how is it delivered? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get daily paper delivered to driveway. No issues. I collect it every morning when I go out to walk, or run. On rainy days I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you get the local paper and how is it delivered?

Get daily paper delivered to driveway. No issues. I collect it every morning when I go out to walk, or run.

On rainy days I just send out my automatic newspaper retriever.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    oakchas makes a very very very important point that all us creatures of habit need to keep in mind. It really doesn't matter so much if you exit your front door or garage each day at the same time to get the newsy, or if you exit each day at the same time
    to leave for work, or if you exit to toss the cat out. There is always the risk that a BG or two will have noted your habit. In my personal experience I get up, turn on the coffee maker, and open the garage door to get the newsy from the driveway. It happens the same time each morning, and until very recently I was oblivious to the opening for an ambush that my bleary eyed attempt to retrieve the daily rag might expose me to.

Well, the murder that happened near me a few weeks ago caught my attention. That moment when the door goes up is a great moment for an ambush.

I have now forbidden my wife from going for the paper. The door between house and garage is LOCKED behind me as I open the garage door leading to the driveway. That way if there is trouble, it is staying outside the house. I am armed with pepper and with a handgun as I do this and much more awake and aware than I used to be. It takes effort.

I've read of similar ambushes of homeowners in similar but slightly different circumstances. Perhaps here, I don't recall.
    Somewhere in Philadelphia a woman opened her front door to leave for work as she had done innumerable times prior. As she
    exited the house and closed the door, she was attacked and robbed. The BGs of course had made note of her habit and knew when to be around for the ambush.

It sounds silly, it sounds like overkill in the caution department, but that routine opening of the door at approximately the same time every day is an invitation to trouble, and if it can't be avoided it needs to be done with eyes open and expectation of a need for quick action.

Opening the garage door for the newsy really does make one extra vulnerable because often folks (me) are doing it by rote, half asleep, before the morning java has warmed, and SA is nowhere to be found.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't get the paper. I don't have a puppy or birds.
    Good point of thought though.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I get it from a vending machine at school in West Virginia. Back home, a guy tosses it in the driveway. Over summer when I worked nights at Amazon.com, I would sometimes catch the guy dropping off when I got home. He handed it off a few times and made for some good conversation for a minute or two. Garbagemen were pretty interesting, too.

The paper is thrown in the front yard, usually on or near the sidewalk each and every morning.

What time we actually go out and pick it up depends on what we are doing that day.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Get daily paper delivered to driveway. No issues. I collect it every morning when I go out to walk, or run.

On rainy days I just send out my automatic newspaper retriever.
    That's gotta get 'er nice a wet, either way!

There's
    a good dag!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The Tampa newspaper is worthless, agenda driven, incompetent bung. I cancelled my subscription in 2004, and only read it online to mock the poor grammar and dumbazz headlines. My NC newspaper, The Smoky Mountain Times, comes weekly six days late, but well worth it for the incident reports, the letters to the editor, and Jim Casada (the outdoor editor). I keep emailing him, telling him I'll buy 25 copies of his book when he writes it, but he treats me like a stalker.

Online, no way would I pay for that liberal rag.

In the driveway, but I often forget about it for hours, or am just too stiff to be very motivated to go out and get it. It doesn't self-update, so it'll be just as good at 10...or noon...as it would be at 5AM.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    What's a paper? :)
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    What's a paper? :)
    It is sold in aisle three, next to the phonograph albums and 400 ISO film
    Guest1, Dadsnugun and ksholder like this.

Our local paper is owned by the ny times,so the only time I use it is in the bathroom
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Mine is delivered onto the driveway & I pick it up as I am about to leave for work (~0550), my head is on a swivel until I get in
    what ever vehicle I am driving that day.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I check headlings/interesting articles on-line during the day. Print copy paper usually gets delivered around 5:45am and I pick it up and throw it in the house as I leave for work. ditto on the SA especially when it's still dark.
    Steve

VIP Member
    My paper is tossed into our driveway daily. I go out to get it. Usually, I am armed when I do so. I've a fairly strict routine
    to keep "trouble" from getting into the house; even over my dead body.

Our newspaper carrier and our local rag are very very reliable about stopping and starting when we are gone. My neighbors are reliable about double checking and watching the house.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links