How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense? - Page 2

How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense?

This is a discussion on How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the CLEO sign-off is eliminated, I'd invest in a threaded barrel for my m&p .45, and a 10/22...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense?

If the CLEO sign-off is eliminated, I'd invest in a threaded barrel for my m&p .45, and a 10/22
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The NFA Trust is the way to go regardless of if your CLEO will sign or not. You might also want one for your estate planning too.

As for use in HD, just imagine cranking off a 150+ decibel shot inside your house. I'm looking at a suppressed SBR in 9mm early next year.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I've been reading that now in MI (where I live) it is legal to own a silencer / suppressor. Hearing protection is a major consideration for me, and so, my interest has inceased. I have a question on the cost involved. I believe there is a $200 transfer tax, are there any other permits, fees, taxes, etc? I assume a threaded barrel would be required ($120 to $150). Then the purchase of a suppressor. I don't have a solid understanding of brands or shops to consider. Is the $750 to $1000 range correct? Anyone share some ideas on what to buy. Then lastly, would anyone consider a suppressor for home SD. I think if used in SD, it might be like having a barrel with smile and wait for flash printed on the end of your barrel. It would save ob hearing, as you would be shooting indoors, however in a SD situation, added length would be a disadvantage, and more urgent considerations than hearing. Suppressor use comes down to hearing protection when practicing. Will do a search on the site, but would not mind reading some current opinions. Thank you in advance.
    If you are in West MI, Tulip City Rod & Gun Club - Holland Michigan is looking into a March 4 Seminar put on by someone who sells them. May be a sales pitch, and may be very informative. the plan is to have few demos also.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Moderator
    If you ever shoot a demo, you'll never be the same.

The best thing I ever did was get some demo units for people to shoot. Once they shoot, they are hooked, those cans sell themselves.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This is very high on my list of wants. I have an FNH45 Tactical, a Sig 239 9mm with threaded barrel, and a Ruger 22 with threaded barrel. I am now ready for my gun trust and then the cans. I can not wait to take the next steps. I am doing the research and hope to find a solution. Anyone use or know much about Surefire suppressors? They just got the military contract.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Senior Moderator
    Surefires suppressors are good.

With that being said, they are way overpriced and they havent been keeping up with the rest of the industry.

For instance, their .22 can sells for 439 and 499, others on the market sound better, are smaller and sell from 200-300 bucks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Just as a thought, you might consider amplified electronic shooting ear muffs for home defense rather than a suppressor. Amplified ear muffs let you hear the bad guys moving around your house. Amplified electronic ear muffs let you hear the intruding bad guys whispering to one another or brushing their clothes against the walls or shuffling their feet on the carpet. Amplified ear muffs let you keep your hearing after you touch off one or more rounds inside an enclosed room such as a bedroom. Even really pricey amplified ear muffs are less expensive than a suppressor, a new threaded barrel, and the required tax stamp. Amplified electronic ear muffs can be had sometime between today or later this week via mail order.

We now return you to the original thread.

Who in there right mind, is going to take time to put them on and adjust them? Not me.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I shot suppressed MP5's when I was in swat. Wickedly fun is all I got to say! And tactically advantageous in some situations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Just as a thought, you might consider amplified electronic shooting ear muffs for home defense rather than a suppressor. Amplified ear muffs let you hear the bad guys moving around your house. Amplified electronic ear muffs let you hear the intruding bad guys whispering to one another or brushing their clothes against the walls or shuffling their feet on the carpet. Amplified ear muffs let you keep your hearing after you touch off one or more rounds inside an enclosed room such as a bedroom. Even really pricey amplified ear muffs are less expensive than a suppressor, a new threaded barrel, and the required tax stamp. Amplified electronic ear muffs can be had sometime between today or later this week via mail order.

We now return you to the original thread.
    You can't argue with any of that, except for the fun factor!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Guys, thanks for this thread. A suppressor isn't something high on the list, but I certainly like the idea of not going deaf in an emergency- also of not being momentarily stunned by your own gun's sound.
    I assumed that the shock and awe of a .45 or shotgun going off was a good thing against BGs, even if you should miss, you made your point.

RKM
    I'd like one for home defense on my USP. The only thing that concerns me is the portrayal of suppressors to a jury, and the fact that often when firearms are confiscated, a lot of the time, you never get it back. I'd hate to see a $1000 suppressor plus a near $1000 gun and $200 barrel go away and never come back. Sure, my life is worth more than $2200, but that would suck.

Just because I'm saving my life doesn't mean I don't care about my hearing. I already have a ringing in my ear from shooting a .22 pistol with no hearing protection. And while suppressors don't "silence" a gun blast, it'll bring it down enough that I won't suffer permanent damage if fired indoors.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'd like one for home defense on my USP. The only thing that concerns me is the portrayal of suppressors to a jury, and the fact that often when firearms are confiscated, a lot of the time, you never get it back. I'd hate to see a $1000 suppressor plus a near $1000 gun and $200 barrel go away and never come back. Sure, my life is worth more than $2200, but that would suck.

Just because I'm saving my life doesn't mean I don't care about my hearing. I already have a ringing in my ear from shooting a .22 pistol with no hearing protection. And while suppressors don't "silence" a gun blast, it'll bring it down enough that I won't suffer permanent damage if fired indoors.
    I've never heard of a firearm used in a rightful self defense not being returned to the owner. Does anyone have any examples of this?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I don't know about using one for home defense, but for general hearing protection they're great. I run a Gemtech Outback II on both a Walther P22 pistol and a Ruger 10/22 I built this past year. CCI CB longs seem to give me the best sound reduction and can still keep the rounds on target at reasonable distances. The can on the .22 pistol is definitely more quiet than on the Ruger 10/22. I suspect it's due to the bolt design on the rifle. Right now I cheat. I have a small length of 550 attached in such a fashion to the charging handle to keep the bolt closed after each shot when running subsonics with the can on.

For those that claim the Hollywood sounds are not correctly representative of the sound levels achieved...I challenge you to find a local dealer and test fire one! My P22 is so quiet with the can on that my neighbor usually has no idea when i've been shooting all afternoon and he leaves his windows open all day long. And it is NOTICEABLY more quiet than his overpriced AIRGUN!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thank you for post, many of you always come through, and makes this site a great find. I have had hearing related problems (slight pain / ringing) for around two years. God bless it is only slight. Plenty of doctors involved over that time. I can never been sure if it is partially firearm related. I've always taken hearing and eye protection seriously. Maybe shooting played a small part. Then again I should have been more concerned about the lawn mower and when hammering. Might all come down to a moment of lazy summer 2010 finishing up the lawn and some nails in a loose board may be the cause. Salt / diet is also a consideration.

Long story short, as careful as I was, I am now far more careful, and sooner or later, some sort of suppressor has to be considered.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links