How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense?

This is a discussion on How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading that now in MI (where I live) it is legal to own a silencer / suppressor. Hearing protection is a major consideration ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense?

How to buy a legal suppressor? For home defense?

I've been reading that now in MI (where I live) it is legal to own a silencer / suppressor. Hearing protection is a major consideration for me, and so, my interest has inceased. I have a question on the cost involved.

I believe there is a $200 transfer tax, are there any other permits, fees, taxes, etc?

I assume a threaded barrel would be required ($120 to $150).

Then the purchase of a suppressor. I don't have a solid understanding of brands or shops to consider. Is the $750 to $1000 range correct? Anyone share some ideas on what to buy.

Then lastly, would anyone consider a suppressor for home SD. I think if used in SD, it might be like having a barrel with smile and wait for flash printed on the end of your barrel. It would save ob hearing, as you would be shooting indoors, however in a SD situation, added length would be a disadvantage, and more urgent considerations than hearing. Suppressor use comes down to hearing protection when practicing.

Will do a search on the site, but would not mind reading some current opinions. Thank you in advance.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Normally it is a 6 to 8 month process. You have to purchase the suppressor (But you don't get until the Tax Stamp is issued) and then apply for the tax stamp and FBI background check. Additionally their there is a step or sign off by the CLEO in your area.

In home defensive, the suppressor help with your hearing as well as the low flash doesn't affect your night sight and blind you. Start now and you should have yours by summer.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I would start by contacting suppressor manufacturers to see what their specific offerings are, and how they're priced. I've spoken with a couple at the big Phoenix gun shows, and both were quite willing to help guide the new suppressor owner with the process. Depending on the vendor and the specific gun, some may want the gun to do the work, some don't.

Suppressors are a great idea for the noise reduction, both for the shooter and the "audience." How they ever got characterized as evil, "destructive devices" is beyond logical comprehension; they ought to get the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval and endorsements from the AMA for the obvious benefits they provide.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I don't see a benefit to having a suppressor in a civilian home defense scenario. They are designed to muffle a gun's report making it more difficult to pinpoint the shooter's location. Hopefully you won't be getting into a long extended gun battle in your home. The shots are still louder that you might expect, nothing like the little "bleep" portrayed in movies. And, hearing protection would be the last thing on my mind during a home invasion.
    adric22 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son has a suppressor and fits it on his Glock 19 and Sig. The Sig works fine; the G19 consistantly FTFs. The added mass on the barrel is problematic on his Glock. Not what one wants on a SD firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    What do you want to know Thanis?

I am 07/02 FFL with the SOT. That means that I can deal them,make them,take them in for repair and I am a dealer for most of the major manufacturers out there.

Here is the normal process. Depending on where you are at, who you are dealing with, the proccess may vary a bit.

You figure out that you want one. You go to a dealer, it's the only way you can get one due to the Special Occupational Tax that they must pay. This is not a requirement, so most FFL's dont have it, but some do and that is who you need to get it from. Its called a "Class 3 Dealer" which is actually a slang term for someone that deals in suppressors, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles and AOW's.

Most of the dealers make you pay at least 50 down, lots of them make you pay 100% up front. For some reason if the transaction falls through, then they arent stuck with the price of the can.

If he dosent have it in stock, he orders it. He must have possession of it because the serial number of the suppressor must be entered on a Form4.

He helps you fill out the Form. The Form requires the CLEO signature, two sets of fingerprints, two 2x2 photos, and a check to the ATF for 200 bucks. The actually Form is in duplicate, the reason for doing everything twice. You send it.

Right now, most Forms are running 4 to 5 months to get approved.

The Form goes to the dealer. He gets it, calls you up and tells you to come get your stuff. One of the forms you sent in comes back, in the upper right hand corner is a Tax Stamp with the serial number of the can on it. That is your approved Form.

You get it, mount it, shoot it and tell all your friends.

The whole process sound more complicated than it is and you wont stop at just one. Once you go through the process, the rest get easier.

Suppressors go anywhere from 200 bucks up to a couple thousand depending on what you want. Do a web search for SilencerCo,AAC,Tactical Solutions,Huntertown Arm,Advanced Armament Corporation, Libery Suppressors, Thompson Machine, Innovative Arms, Gemtech, Tactical Innovations, Yankee Hill Machine, Coastal, there are a host of suppressor manufactures out there.

One of the best silencer forums on the net is the Silencer Forum. Lots of Industry Reps there, actual sounds tests, published info such as size,weight, costs and such.

Silencer Forum
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How they ever got characterized as evil, "destructive devices" is beyond logical comprehension;
    Let's see - Hollyweird, liberal news media, brady bunch. I'd say that's the three main reasons. Kinda like an "assault rifle." I still have no idea what an "assault rifle" really is. But I'm sure I'd recognize one if I saw it.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockZombie View Post
    I don't see a benefit to having a suppressor in a civilian home defense scenario. They are designed to muffle a gun's report making it more difficult to pinpoint the shooter's location. Hopefully you won't be getting into a long extended gun battle in your home. The shots are still louder that you might expect, nothing like the little "bleep" portrayed in movies. And, hearing protection would be the last thing on my mind during a home invasion.
    Hearing protection would be the last thing on his mind then also, that's why he is asking about it NOW. Have you ever shot a firearm in a small room indoors without hearing protection? It's a valid concern and he is being proactive. Shots are still loud yes, but there is a difference between hurting your hearing loud and tolerable without ear protection loud.

I hate when people ask questions and so responders are comletely closed minded to why the OP is asking. You don't see a benefit to having a suppressor in a civilian home defense scenario? Right there in the original post, the OP gives you one, "HEARING PROTECTION".
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    In NC most Sheriffs will not sign. The federal part is easy but the local part is the problem. There you go..

Senior Moderator
    In NC most Sheriffs will not sign. The federal part is easy but the local part is the problem. There you go..
    Well Richard...
    your prayers have been answered.

The CLEO signoff is going away next year...which isnt that far off.

The ATF has decided to do away with it because it is obsolete. No longer needed due to the NICS check that everyone must go through. Get a background check,pass it and you are good to go, so if some antigun fool of a CLEO trys to impart his personal beleifs on you, he wont be able to do it.

However, all one had to do was form a TRUST and no CLEO signoff was needed anyway. For people that wanted one and the CLEO wouldnt sign they formed a trust, named whoever they wanted on the trust and no fingerprints or phote was required...but thats always been the case.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Guys, thanks for this thread. A suppressor isn't something high on the list, but I certainly like the idea of not going deaf in an emergency- also of not being momentarily stunned by your own gun's sound.

We've had a few folks comment on the inadvisability of ever shooting from within a car. Would a silencer make a real difference in such a
    situation? Or, are they just too bulky for use anywhere but HD?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    They make a difference...a big difference.

Even if you are using supersomic ammo,a silencer will tame the blast to what is known as "hearing safe". That means that you can shoot without hearing protection because the sound is below the limits of hearing damage.

A good .22 suppressor can be very quiet. On a Ruger .22 rifle, the predominate sound is the bolt clattering back and forth. If you take the bolt on the Ruger, pull it back and release it, thats pretty much what you hear.

A pistol is a bit different, they are harder to suppress because of the muzzle blast from unburned powders. Even so, a .22 pistol is a joy to shoot suppressed.

As for the bulk,I'll let you be the judge. Most .22 cans are 6" or less and around 1" in diameter. Personally, I dont see it as an issue, in fact, I get lots of comments that it actually improves the balance of a pistol.

A rifle can is going to be bigger, usually anywhere from 1.250" to 1.375 being the most common sizes and these wil be from 6 to 9 inches long. They are heavier because they need to be and it requires more volume to suppress a larger caliber.

Suppressors are quite the rage right now. There is a lot of talk in the industry of dropping the required 200 tax stamp to a 5$ tax stamp. It only makes sense because they are lumped in with short barrelled shotguns, and short barreled rifles which are weapons.

A suppressor isnt a weapon. I cant shoot you with it, so it should be in the AOW category which is only 5 bucks.

If that were to happen, it would blow the suppressor industry wide open and I'd be getting even richer than I am now

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

NFA Trust that is all I will say
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Suppressors are quite the rage right now. There is a lot of talk in the industry of dropping the required 200 tax stamp to a 5$ tax stamp. It only makes sense because they are lumped in with short barrelled shotguns, and short barreled rifles which are weapons.

A suppressor isnt a weapon. I cant shoot you with it, so it should be in the AOW category which is only 5 bucks.

If that were to happen, it would blow the suppressor industry wide open and I'd be getting even richer than I am now
    If that were to happen, combined with the loss of the CLEO signature, it would definitely push a .22 suppressor higher on my "must have" list (as well as many, many others too.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links