Storage

Storage

This is a discussion on Storage within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, my mom woke my brother and I bright and early this morning so we could have Christmas before my Dad had to leave for ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By fastk9dad

Thread: Storage

Storage

So, my mom woke my brother and I bright and early this morning so we could have Christmas before my Dad had to leave for work and much to my surprise I found an envelope with a picture of the Glock 23 I've been wanting and inside was $600 to go buy it tomorrow! Also under the tree was a stack-on quick access safe, 400 rds of 165gr .40S&W and a Blackhawk soft pistol case.

My question is this: I live in an apartment, ideally I would like to bolt this safe to the floor somewhere inconspicuous but the reality of the matter is that my land lord may not appreciate me drilling 4 holes in the floor of an apartment I don't own. While I will call my land lord tomorrow some time to ask and hope for the best, I was wondering if you fine people had any other alternative suggestions as to how to secure this safe.

I do have a desk with a cabinet that I could bolt it to but it's the sort of desk that came in a big box, is constructed of laminated particle board and was put together with a big tube of glue and low quality fasteners- we aren't talking about some mahogany monstrosity that would be difficult to dismantle- this thing would probably fail after a hard kick or three.

I understand that I'm never going to make it COMPLETELY theft proof but I want it to be a little harder to steal than just sticking it in the corner of the closet and hoping for the best.

When my da... I mean... Santa, was shopping for a safe he purposely avoided one with a cable lock since it seems as though they would be pretty easy to cut and the only thing I could cable it to would be my bed frame which is fairly easily disassembled. The safe I got is an electronic one with 3 combination buttons and the only holes in the safe are the ones the bolts pass through, it appears to be about 12 inches deep, 8 inches high and about 8 or 9 inches wide.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated since I'm pretty much stumped. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Do not tell your landlord anything. Don't put holes in the floor either... Not sure the size of your safe..if its small, may look to conceal it first, OR if a larger safe, weigh it down with something heavy.

Or you can hide screw holes holes in the carpet...knowing you might have to replace the carpet when you move out...

Either way, your property is NONE of your landlords business.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Put a cardboard box over it and mark on the outside of the box old receipts. It worked for me once as I had some valuables in a box that I marked as old receipts. The robbers took other stuff and did not bother that box. This was 30 years ago but I think they are in too much of a hurry to check something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Do not tell your landlord anything. Don't put holes in the floor either... Not sure the size of your safe..if its small, may look to conceal it first, OR if a larger safe, weigh it down with something heavy.

Or you can hide screw holes holes in the carpet...knowing you might have to replace the carpet when you move out...

Either way, your property is NONE of your landlords business.
    I suppose that's a good point, though I would not tell him what's going in the safe, it's not hard to put two and two together. He seems like a very stand-up guy but you never know who he could blab to. The safe is pretty small; it's probably big enough for one gun, a few spare mags and a few boxes of ammo. I don't think I'd be able to really weigh it down with anything unless I mounted it into a big concrete block like Excalibur and set the whole thing in my closet- which I suppose I could do if it came to that.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    Put a cardboard box over it and mark on the outside of the box old receipts. It worked for me once as I had some valuables in a box that I marked as old receipts. The robbers took other stuff and did not bother that box. This was 30 years ago but I think they are in too much of a hurry to check something like that.
    That's pretty clever, I might do that even if I do figure out a secure way to mount it.

Distinguished Member
    Anchor it to studs in a wall. Drywall/plaster is easy to repair and if you put it in the floor of a closet it makes it that much less noticeable if it's not perfect.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That^^
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

^^^
    Yep!
    along with:
    Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

VIP Member
    Write TAX RECEIPTS on the cardboard safe cover. That should scare 'em away.

Like fastk9dad said, screw the safe into closet studs.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

They make a carpet cutter that cuts perfect round circles You could cut out 4 circles and screw the box the floor and the kit comes with hd double sided tape to replace the cut out circles. The tool is used to cut out burnt or stains from carpet.

My mom pretty much said to screw it to the floor in a closet and don't tell anyone, worst comes to worst and I just replace the carpet in a closet when I move out. Hopefully no one asks any questions since the drill will make a little bit of noise when I drill the holes, I'll try to wait until my downstairs neighbor is gone.

Make sure you either cut a small X in the carpet or punch a hole in it BEFORE you drill. If you drill directly into the carpet you may end up unraveling it...

Quote Originally Posted by shooter76blue View Post
    make sure you either cut a small x in the carpet or punch a hole in it before you drill. If you drill directly into the carpet you may end up unraveling it...
    plus 1

Forget about securing the safe - join the NRA and sign up for the free insurance. From their web site:

"$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage."

They will try to up-sell you for more coverage, but sounds like you won't need it. The insurance covers all gun-related items, including your safe.

Good luck,
    Doc

Links