Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On? - Page 2

Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On?

This is a discussion on Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; here is a link to show you why What Are These Red and Yellow Dots On My Tires? | TireTeam Talk...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On?

Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Isn't that the same red dot meter maids use to track the duration you have been parked in a limited duration parking zone? I think someone is wearing a tin-foil hat.
    A lot of tires have those on them.... they aren't tagged. Looks like a bit of BS. Looks like someone told them something and they bought it. I don't think gangs are typically wanting to show up at gun shows and ranges and being spotted messing with cars or marking tires. At least , not around here. Now, somewhere else, I can't say.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Years ago we had gang members that were putting stickers on a certain tire of people who were exiting Best Buy with a lot of items. They used those markers to break into vehicles and steal a lot of items before they got caught. Baiscally, if they saw a vehicle with the sticker on the wheel in a parking lot, they knew if they were fast enough, they could get away with a lot of easy stuff.

It's a very simple system, and many gangs are more than capable of using that method to increase their odds of success.
    But if I'm exiting with a lot of packages, I'm probably headed home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yup, mfr mark. If they are targeting cars for later hits, why not just note color/model/last 3 of plate - no messing with their target prior to actual theft. Lot easier to spot driving past later on than a dot on a tire.
    mkh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    While I've never thought of that particular activity, I've never been a fan of the more obvious ways of tagging your own vehicle by putting on gun related bumper stickers like NRA stickers. I keep my vehicles clean and devoid of such advertising.
    I know, but on the other side, I can recount at least three times where my life and probably the life of my family was saved by having a gun oriented bumper sticker on my vehicle. Also, as an NRA Instructor, I often get business at stoplights in Miami. LOL. Or more often, parking lots.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've even heard that while the gangs are usually too stooopid to try this, it might be more likely a government ploy -- even local gubmint if you happen to have an antigun police chief or mayor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But if I'm exiting with a lot of packages, I'm probably headed home.
    At Christmas time? You would think so. However, I have learned (from my female relatives) that going to multiple stores on the same run makes it so they need "fewer" shopping trips.

Men are different than women. Holidays also make people less prudent.

We had the asian gang members walking in and out of Best Buy putting white stickers on some tires. They had their accomplishes patrolling the parking lots in nearby stores for the stickers, and for easily visible boxes. We have many stores in a small area which made their task all that much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    At Christmas time? You would think so. However, I have learned (from my female relatives) that going to multiple stores on the same run makes it so they need "fewer" shopping trips.

Men are different than women. Holidays also make people less prudent.

We had the asian gang members walking in and out of Best Buy putting white stickers on some tires. They had their accomplishes patrolling the parking lots in nearby stores for the stickers, and for easily visible boxes. We have many stores in a small area which made their task all that much simpler.
    That could work both ways. Sounds like a wonderful setup for law enforcement to mount a sting/ambush operation. But maybe that's just my way of thinking.

Well, this only happened en masse one year. While the criminals were clever, they were not overly smart, and the cops caught them with relative ease.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    When I first saw this today, the below are the words that I keyed in on because they all sounded like personal ownership of the event:

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot.

This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer,
    So the conclusions are that either:

1) this woman is crazy and made all this up (including being at the San Antonio event where the police chief provided the warning)

or

2) this all happened.

I went and looked closely at her facebook page, and all the comments there. I also looked closely at the photo. The mark, as others have said, looks exactly like the colored dots placed on new tires, and they take forever to wear off, unless you use a very stiff bristle brush. She makes a comment, on her FB page, about gangs using UV paint to mark the tires, but your iPhone will show the otherwise invisible markings. Really? Your iPhone is a black light that fluoresces UV paint? Really???Look at the tire - it is brand spanking new, and nice and shiny from Armor All or something. You ever try to put pain on Armor All?? Don't bother, it won't stick to the tire!!

While it sounds like a good story, that is all it is. Her husband(?) posted up on FB, in response to the dis-believers there, that they did have several folks at a shooting competition, in San Antonio, whose cars were broken into. Let me get this straight - 400 hundred folks go to a shooting competition and they are surprised when a couple of folks have their cars broken into? Ok.....

Until you find the name and title of a police officer who has documented this being done by gang members, it is just a story. Besides - the cars at a gun store are more likely to have some SOB come back and shoot at your sorry butt for screwing with his car. He is more likely to be carrying the damned gun than leave it in the car!!!

Gangs aren't that organized.

Further, doing "surveillance & tracking" on the scale suggested in the link is beyond the ability of all but the most well funded and trained intelligence agencies in the world.

I call BS.

Tell her that she needs to go in and get some refill fluid for her turn signals too.

I was in one auto parts store when a woman came in and asked for some.... we tried hard not to laugh. The clerk asked her, who told her that she needed some, and she said "her husband" ..... so the guy tactfully let her know her husband had pulled her leg.... but, if she wanted to have some fun ...... he had a "JOKE BOTTLE" of "turn signal fluid" for $1. She bought it and said she was going to have some fun with it, as she was going to make him show her where to put it in (and she had a suggestion on where that was going to be).

We had problems at gun shows with guys attempting to rob people coming out of the gun shows, and breaking into cars. The Sheriff Deputies said they couldn't do anything, because they were assigned stations they could not leave. So, people started standing watch out there and several idiots were caught, and then it all stopped.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That dot looks like the ones some manufacturers place on tires to mark the lightest area of the tire.
    Yes indeed.

I'll mark it as a toss up, too. Regardless of what some folks say about the cunning of gangbangers... I don't buy that either... Now, the leadership of the gangs... might be a different story...

And, after all, some original American "gang signs" grace my signature... so it is possible.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links