Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On?

This is a discussion on Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is anybody in a position to verify or dispute this information? Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs? « Paladin Security Strategies...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs for Thefts Later On?

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

Is anybody in a position to verify or dispute this information?

Tagging of Gun Owners Cars by Gangs? « Paladin Security Strategies

I don't think it really matters whether it's real or a hoax. If you live in areas plagued by gangs, it would be worth it to be on the look out for that type of activity in your area.

It's certainly plausible. A lot of gangs have a pretty well run criminal enterprise going, and are pretty cunning to boot.

While I've never thought of that particular activity, I've never been a fan of the more obvious ways of tagging your own vehicle by putting on gun related bumper stickers like NRA stickers. I keep my vehicles clean and devoid of such advertising.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It would appear this woman is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.

https://twitter.com/#!/llbratten

I hope she comments further on this subject (and maybe even joins Defensive Carry!).

I like gunsafes bolted in trunk for occasions where sidearm might have to sit there unattended. People might also consider disconnecting trunk open cable so it must be opened with a key. Not perfect but it'd slow down most. Park in the open where someone would be hesitant to break into your car. I agree stickers are really dumb. You'll never see any t shirt or hat making me a walking billboard either. Finding a private place to shoot nowadays is a real challenge. I've abandoned ranges where I cannot shoot in privacy. I go to practice, its not a social event for me. I will not join local clubs ever again. I'll travel far enough away so encountering locals is minimized. It is an easy way for local thieves to assess you as a target I've heard that if a BG needed a gun. He'd frequent a range and wait for unattended firearms to present themselves. I am a firm believer in always having a BUG concealed when on the range too. You never know what will happen. The biggest threat to gun theft is word of mouth. Don't be stupid...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Isn't that the same red dot meter maids use to track the duration you have been parked in a limited duration parking zone? I think someone is wearing a tin-foil hat.
    Eagleks, TN_Mike, Sig 210 and 2 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    sounds like b.s to me.
    TN_Mike likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The only marks I've ever seen the "meter maids" (more oftern men) make is a chalk line on the tread that rubs of when driven, not a dot on the sidewall. Dot still there an hour later, or whenever the free parking time expires, gets a ticket. I would think some guy walking around the parking lot putting dots on tires would be a little suspicious.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I believe it. It's a low tech and practical system that works well (or should) for the gangs. We know that it takes only seconds to break into a car and steal something, and guns are a hot commodity for gang members. It makes sense to me.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I call BS on this!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    That dot looks like the ones some manufacturers place on tires to mark the lightest area of the tire.
    PatAz, Tzadik, ks kid and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Years ago we had gang members that were putting stickers on a certain tire of people who were exiting Best Buy with a lot of items. They used those markers to break into vehicles and steal a lot of items before they got caught. Baiscally, if they saw a vehicle with the sticker on the wheel in a parking lot, they knew if they were fast enough, they could get away with a lot of easy stuff.

It's a very simple system, and many gangs are more than capable of using that method to increase their odds of success.

A buddy of mine has messaged her on Facebook with a request that she clarify the matter, in that there is no shortage of people calling her story BS.

Yeah. I'll call bs too... That is a pretty standard marker.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Well it's kinda hard to take this as some type of mark for gangs to strike later on due to the fact it looks like a factory mark. Then again criminals can be very crafty sneaks . Maybe that is their whole point with the dot, the avereage Joe just hadn't noticed it before so it's not questioned. It's a toss up for me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That dot looks like the ones some manufacturers place on tires to mark the lightest area of the tire.
    That's what it looked like to me.

That tire looks new, too. So, it makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links